A dozen years ago today: David Haye KO2 Enzo Maccarinelli

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by IntentionalButt, Mar 8, 2020.

1. alangjk

alangjk Active Member Full Member

Aug 7, 2015
    I popped for David Haye's entrance. You don't get to see the full version on this one. I'm pretty sure he came out dancing, just no way he was going to lose. Then he batters Maccarinelli. It was beautiful.

12 years ago. Wow. Remember a poll on pesfan back then. I picked Haye knockout and I think somebody called it bold. Seems funny to think about when you see how the fight turned out.

Ain't no stopping us now. :dancer2:

2. ryanm8655

ryanm8655 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Haha - was it Flint or someone that posted that? He lived Maccarinelli as much as a certain poster loves Whyte.

3. ShovelHook

ShovelHook Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 22, 2019
    One of many to completely wipe out Enzo with his shoddy chin. Poor fella got taken to the cleaners by most high level opponents. Makes me think, why did Alexander Frenkel never fight again after that savage KO he managed? Could've been a great at cruiser like Haye almost became.

4. KingKO

KingKO El Terrible Full Member

Feb 2, 2019
    Enzo said in an interview (Pound for Pound podcast I think) that he had some personal issues prior to the fight but wouldn't go into any details. Does anyone know any more about this?

For the record Haye always beats Enzo, despite whatever Enzo was going through at the time, which could have affected his performance but not the result in my opinion.

5. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Ain't toe conning us now
    We all woke up

6. channy

channy 4.7.33 banned Full Member

Feb 2, 2015

You "TOE" me are everything, the sweetest thing they all believed ohhhhhhh pay me!!!

7. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    This fight generated a lot of excitement at the time.

One poster advertising the fight used the tag line "guaranteed knockout."

Haye was favored, but it was seen as a fight that could go either way.

What does this fight teach us about boxing history?

A fight that is big at the time, might not look impressive on Boxrec fifty years later.

8. ashishwarrior

ashishwarrior VIP Member Full Member

Apr 19, 2010
    money that's what they want

9. DJN16

DJN16 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Haha.... Snap!

10. DavidBarnes

DavidBarnes Member banned Full Member

Dec 8, 2019
    Haye had some serious speed and power at that weight

11. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Haye was confident here. Enzo had a nice right hand himself and natural power, and Haye knew he had the fight with a little more speed. Holding his jab out there to bait Enzo to make a mistake. This was 12 years ago? Time goes by pretty quickly.

12. Astaxanthin

Astaxanthin Active Member Full Member

Dec 28, 2014
    Does anyone know who the man to the left of Joe Calzaghe at 8:46 (time stamped) is:

This content is protected

Once the ref waves the fight off he literally puts his hands on his head and walks off.

13. KO KIDD

KO KIDD Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Back when I still used to make boxing VHS tapes

I think this one aired the same night as Corrales vs Casamayor 3 and had to record it on two different TVs watching this fight live and the Chico vs Casa III the next morning

Huge win at the time that hasnt aged as well

I remember my brother being a little annoyed at the stopped saying "Mac looked horrible when he got up but the ref turned to look at Haye and by the time the ref turned around he waved it off based on Mac's condition prior to looking to the neutral corner but that he had recovered in that brief moment"

I figured he would have been laid out about 15 seconds later but whatever

14. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
  15. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    I reckon that is Charlie Pearson, his original coach who retired a couple of years earlier.

Fairly clear shot of him at 31 seconds in here:

This content is protected

(oh and technically he's to Calzaghe's right...he's just on the left hand side of the screen from him, to us :D)