A forgotten classic: Rolando Navarrete vs Bazooka Limon I

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by PhillyPhan69, Nov 19, 2019.

1. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    What an exciting battle between these 2! Any one else remember this one? If not check it out!

This content is protected

2. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    @The Morlocks will, I'm sure.

You're pulling out some jnr lightweight gens from the early 80s at the moment, Philly!

All I can say is that I wish I had been around for this era.

3. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    lol actually I think even the Morlocks enjoys these guys...unless he is in a exceptionally curmudgeonly mood today!

The Morlocks and red cobra like this.
  4. Jel

Oct 20, 2017
    No, I now he does, for sure! Chacon, Limon, Boza and Navarette...
    The 'real fab 4' he calls them. But perhaps we shouldn't go there.

5. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Navarette definitely more talented but Limon just more resilent.

robert ungurean likes this.
  6. Saad54

Dec 10, 2014
    Many of us here are way younger (and more level headed) than the Morlocks remember that era.

The Morlocks likes this.
  7. Jel

Oct 20, 2017
    Ok, that's cool. Tell us a bit more about your recollections of it - would love to hear more.

PhillyPhan69 likes this.
  8. Saad54

Dec 10, 2014
    Great all action fights between good, but not great fighters who played hot potato with the WBC 130 lb. title.

Boza was the best fighter of the four involved - Boza, Chacon, Limon and Navarette.

But, he loved to brawl when he didn't have to. Good for us. Bad for him.

I loved the way Boza stood toe to toe with Limon for 15 rounds and beat him at his own game.

He was beating Navarette but suffered a hideous cut over his left eye and couldn't see the right hooks of Navarette coming. Game over.

Navarette was beating the tar out of Limon but Limon's resilence nullified Rolando's substantial punching power. Navarette started to gas and Limon responed. Game over.

Jel likes this.
  9. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Such a special era in any regard, but the junior-lightweights of the early 80's were an amazingly competitive bunch who had the balls to actually fight each other. That round-robin thing they had going on was great, and I think Navarette-Chacon was the only one we missed. That would have been something else, but enormous credit to all of them for answering the bell in all those other wars.

Also goes to show just how amazing Alexis Arguello was. He truly was the daddy of all of them, stopping all four of these guys.

PhillyPhan69 and Jel like this.
  10. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    And, three of the four of them were southpaws, sort of unusual...…..

11. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Oh, thanks for bringing this one up Philly...man, waaay back when this fight was televised live, I sat transfixed on this battle...I marvelled at how Navarette was able to effortlessly get his punches off and out-land, outbox, and just out everything the rangier, steel chinned, arm punching awkward as hell Mexican who just refused to back down, slow down, and give up . This fight just fascinated me, as I wondered...and there was no reason to wonder a thing about what was going on...it seemed like a lock that, unless he was able somehow, to stop Limon, the Filipino Navarette was going to chalk up a lopsided decision. How wrong I was...and I wasn't originally rooting for either man in particular,...just enjoying a great fight...when, in the waning minute of the 12th,...Limon brought the house down, and certainly amazed me by pounding a nearly lifeless, battered, exhausted, walking dead Navarette...battering him with those dreadfully wild, but purposeful arm punches....what a thrilling, come from behind victory for one of the toughest warriors...Mexican or otherwise...and I for one, will never forget it!!! It's almost an anticlimax to mention that 6 years later, Navarette evened the score by winning a revenge decision over the Bazooka...but it really didn't count so much, as Limon was not the same fighter at all.,

Jel and PhillyPhan69 like this.
  12. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I am sure that Morlocks will be here to pound out his response to this fight...his take...his memories...in all caps...driving home his message to you just as conclusively as Limon pounded Navarette!! Get ready, cause there ain't no 12 round limit to any of his posts!!!:ggg:ggg:ggg:ggg

The Morlocks, Jel and PhillyPhan69 like this.
  13. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    well the biggest thing back then is and was all those tough hombres willing to fight each other. And then wondering when the rematch is.

since then, if a division is real strong with a handful of guys capable of beating each other on any given night, we the boxing fans just did not get many of the scintillating fights. And we the fans that support the sport are the one's that suffered

we typically get as lot of proposed bouts but what transpires is minimal matches and very few guys willing to take a loss. Then come back and fight the other guys in an 18 month span.

14. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    This content is protected

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    Jel likes this.
  15. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    lol, I hate you

Jel and The Morlocks like this.