A look at Tyson Fury's training routine & diet

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by boristhebulldog, Mar 30, 2021.

1. boristhebulldog

boristhebulldog New Member Full Member

Mar 29, 2021
    In his last fight camp for Wilder, a typical training week for Fury had the champ training six days a week. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday are boxing focused and feature two training sessions — mornings are dedicated to technique while afternoons are reserved for sparring.

Kristian Blacklock, Fury’s strength & conditioning coach, also adds in core work and stretching on those four days. “Wednesday and Saturday I have him and we do recovery running and strength and conditioning – this time more intense, explosive movements,” Blacklock said.

It’s not so much been the training that’s evolved, it’s been my lifestyle that’s evolved. I usually would’ve had a fight, trained really hard and got in great shape, and within a month after the fight I’d be terribly out of shape—like a hundred pounds over what I should be. And that would be the lifestyle: the food, the drinking, the not training all the time, not having a proper training program.

“I’ve been to bed early and got up early so it’s been a really good preparation, I’ve had really good sparring,” Fury said to Talk Sports, describing his training routine for the rematch against Wilder. “Kristian has been here as usual, so plenty of strength and conditioning work.”

“We done about a month, five weeks at home of strength block, before we came. Then I had two weeks off over the Christmas period in Las Vegas, got acclimatised to the time zone and by the time the fight comes around I would have had eight weeks in camp as well.”

For the fight camp, Fury also enlisted SugarHill Steward, the nephew of legendary Kronk Gym trainer Emanuel Steward, to help him train for a knockout. “I don’t have any problem with [Fury] making it a war,” SugarHill told ESPN. “That’s the whole reason I was chosen to be his trainer – to be more technical, to be more aggressive, to have that Kronk attitude, that killer instinct.

Sundays are rest days, though not by choice for the heavyweight champion of the world. “On Sundays I feel so depressed,” Fury told The Telegraph. “Every Sunday it happens, just because I’m having a day off at home.”

“Monday is my favourite day of the week. My Monday is like everybody else’s Saturday. I get up, go for a run. Have a haircut or a shave. Get my car valeted. All because I like going back to work, to reality, to the grindstone. I hate holidays. I can’t go away and put my feet up to relax.”

Since his comeback, Fury has learnt to stay active in between bouts, instead of putting his feet up and going on eating binges as many boxers tend to do. “I run every day, I do cardio every single day of my life,” he told Muscle & Fitness. “While I’m not in the training camp I do cardio in the morning and weights in the afternoon. With weight training, I’ll break it up over five days, doing a different body part every day.”

The full article has more background on his mental health, mindset and overcoming depression, if you're interested:
    This content is protected

Charles White likes this.
  2. Stiches Yarn

Stiches Yarn Active Member Full Member

Jan 2, 2021