A peak 1981 Alexis Arguello vs a peak1985 Livingstone Bramble, at 135 lbs, 15 rounds.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Richard M Murrieta, Jul 28, 2022.

1. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    A peak 1981 Alexis Arguello vs a peak 1985 Livingstone Bramble, at 135 lbs, 15 rounds. Can Bramble who defeated Ray Boom Boom Mancini take down the hard hitting Arguello? Or will Arguello thwart Bramble's chances of handing him a surprise defeat?

Stevie G likes this.
  2. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Arguello wins this by later rounds stoppage. The 'Explosive Thin Man' is the better all round boxer out of the two and a cleaner finisher. LIvingstone would definitely have a punchers chance though.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  3. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    I like double A in this one but Bramble was a handful in 85'. Too me this is a fight between a great fighter and a very good fighter. The great fighter wins.

he grant and Richard M Murrieta like this.
  4. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Arguello win 15

5. Dynamicpuncher

Dynamicpuncher Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 14, 2022
    I wonder if Bramble could take Arguello's punches, he was blown away by Rosario in just 2 rounds. I guess you could argue Rosario may hit harder than Arguello, although i'd say that's debatable but Arguello is a puncher for sure. Bramble looked good vs Mancini/Crawley but they're not hard hitters. I think Arguello wins by KO personally but there is one thing, Bramble being able to switch hit may give Arguello problems. Remember Arguello did have some issues vs Ganigan, Ramirez, who were Southpaws. But then again he beat Watt easily who was a Southpaw so who knows.

6. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Also Bramble did have a very underrated defense with his long arms that was exposed by Edwin El Chapo Rosario on Sept 26 1986 in a title bout televised live on HBO. Rosario sure blew him away.

7. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    I always remember Roger Mayweather fighting Bramble later on in both careers and that right hand of Mayweather found a home, and if his right found a home so would Arguello's..

8. FastHands(beeb)

FastHands(beeb) Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Having watched a lot of both of these guys over the years, my view is that Bramble would get "discouraged" when he feels Arguello's power.

The longer the fight would go, the more AA would time LB, leading ultimately to a stoppage, likely in about 8 to 10 rounds.

he grant and Richard M Murrieta like this.
  9. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Alexis by UD. Don't think Bramble would be tremendously affected by his power, but he would know he is in with a great fighter from jump.

10. mr. magoo

mr. magoo Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I like Arguello to win a decision

11. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    I'll go with Arguello by a late stoppage.
    Be a good fight while it lasts.

12. Cobra33

Cobra33 Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 2, 2006
    I think Bramble gets underrated at times but the fact of the matter is he got blown out by a puncher- Rosario in under what 2 rounds?
    Now your putting him in with someone who hits just as hard if not harder but has a longer reach and is taller.

13. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Guys , Bramble was a class below Arguello at 135 .. while Alexis was a tiny pit past his best and likely peaked at 130 he was still a terrific fighter .. Bramble was a well conditioned, very strong, crafty guy, slow starting with a solid punch but not big punch and decent put not great speed ... Alexis would take him apart as the fight progressed, murdering him to the body and eventually taking him out ..