A point about Deontay Wilder and the ongoing nonsense regarding how many contenders he's faced

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Dubblechin, Dec 3, 2019.

1. LANCE99

LANCE99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 11, 2016
    The last two you mention, WD and DW, both did there's within the last decade (for WK) to current times. The fact that the most recent two came so recently tells us all about today's HW division. It's utter garbage.

Rumsfeld likes this.
  2. Rumsfeld

Rumsfeld Moderator Staff Member

Jul 19, 2004
    It's definitely not as good as the 1970s or 1990s. But personally (and I'm guessing here), I tend to believe this current era will be viewed more favorably than when Klitschko reigned - and I say that regardless of which heavyweight in the current crop (if any) ultimately proves himself as the best of this era, be it Wilder, Ruiz, Fury, AJ, or someone outside of those four.

dinovelvet, Richmondpete and Aydamn like this.
  3. Sugar 88

Sugar 88 The Empire Struck Back Full Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Whilst your point stands to pretend there wasn't a touch of management strategy/WBC protection/lack of depth/fortune to it is to ignore the facts of the case.

Having 4 bodies with their own rankings and different contenders taking different routes/holding belts means it's easier to cherry pick 'ranked' guys.

Then there is the quality of the mandatory challengers and the level of opponents he's been allowed to pick himself. Only Povetkin was seen a genuine top tier fighter and then that fight didn't happen. Stiverne getting a mando position on the back of nothing so Wilder could bowl him over and get rid of a mando was sickening. Whyte has been kept away from the spot despite having put in the work in.

The time he took a risk was against Ortiz - a man without an especially notable win and knocking on for 40. He nearly got KO'd but fortuitous rules in NYC helped him out and then after taking care of business we got another crap underserved 'mandatory challenger' after getting tooled by an off the couch recovering from drugs Fury. Most consider that draw very dubious.

So there it is - he's a combo of being a freakish power puncher, lucky, protected and well managed.

4. LANCE99

LANCE99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 11, 2016
    I admit I do like the competitiveness this division has produced. Was a bit of a bore seeing WK safely fight his opp.

George Crowcroft, Rumsfeld and Aydamn like this.
  5. Cally

Cally Sand...sand... nothing but sand! Full Member

Sep 12, 2015
    I'm offended for boxing with people trying to defend wilder to be honest.

As a boxing fan I just can't appreciate him as a fighter, he has nothing but one punch, you Need more than that in a fighter as a spectator sport, well, I do. It's a science, an art form, a discipline.. but not by today's standards it seems, it's just sad to see, it really is. WBC champ can Just stand about pawing, blinding, doing nothing, losing round upon round, poor at pretty much everything, just nothing but a bit of athleticism waiting to land a right hand ... Nah, not for me. How can anyone defend it...

It's poor, stop defending it.

Kin ell, what's happened to the sport :(

6. Liquorice

Liquorice Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 13, 2018
    I think when people are talking about him facing legit contenders they are generally referring to the concensus top 10 rather than the WBC rankings.. most tend to know who these are, as they do with the concensus p4p list give or take.. it's not rocket science.. Consider that the WBC had a 40 year old obese Stiverne who he'd already beat & who'd fought once in 2 years as his mandatory challenger in 2017.. What does that tell you about the WBC & it's credibility? Relying solely on the WBC for his credibility isn't the smartest & most balanced route to take.. Molina, Washington, Duhaupas.. their WBC rankings at the time? I don't think even the WBC had any of them top 10.. see what people are getting at? Technically all his challengers for the belt have been 'contenders' sure but the rings are generally much better than the WBCs. They include all of the division & not just Haymons 'in house' guys & Sulamains favourites etc lol stupid thread, poorly thought out.

Dario Argento, Loudon and LANCE99 like this.
  7. Tyistall

Tyistall Member banned Full Member

Sep 26, 2018
    Wilder is a bum beating fraud who has only fought 2 decent opponents. He comes up with an excuse not to fight every good boxer and he has done this for years now. Loyalty, betting on himself, low ball offer (even when the offer is 20 times what Wilder has ever made), steroids (even though Fury and Ortiz both got popped for roids themselves). Every time he comes up with a new way to duck a real challenge yet he will fight an old man, a guy who is 3 years off the couch, a gatekeeper or a list of WBC bums before he fights anyone good. And his fans keep praising his cowardice. I will never understand it

lewis gassed likes this.
  8. Mirko

Mirko Member Full Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Is Wilder the only champ ever to beat a guy convincigly and then technically goes asking for a rematch himself or at least agrees with picking the likes of stiverne, ortiz? Who does that? Those were two bullchit defences, pointless. There was absolutely zero demand for the mentioned fights. So if it doesnt make money, whats the reason then?

I hold no grudge towards his skill and the fact he only needs one good punch. Yes, its boxing, but its fighting also.

But my problem with wilder is his level of competition is really lackluster (apart from fury and ortiz, but much can be said about the state of these two also).

9. Max Thunder

Max Thunder Proud member of the Cult of Vikings Full Member

Apr 25, 2017
    Dublechin been at the toilet water again. Pretty sure the argument has always been Wilder having only two victories over boxers who were ranked top-5 at the time (Stiverne, Ortiz).

Loudon and JohnThomas1 like this.
  10. Rumsfeld

Rumsfeld Moderator Staff Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Yes, that's my greater point. In 35+ years, Wilder is still just the 3rd heavyweight champion to accomplish this. If cherry-picking one's way to 10 consecutive title defenses was so easy, we'd have more heavyweight champions doing it.

Glass City Cobra likes this.
  11. Oddone

Oddone Bermane Stiverne's life coach. Full Member

Aug 18, 2019
    Came here for the lols.

12. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Thank you.

Rumsfeld likes this.
  13. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    BULL.

Everyone Wilder has defended the WBC title against were ranked WBC contenders. You can call them what you want, but they are. Every last one of them.

Someone said everyone knows who the contenders are. WRONG.

Those same people complaining about Wilder only fighting WBC contenders and holding up the RING ratings as THE RATINGS ... those same guys start threads saying Wilder should fight guys who AREN'T included in the RING ratings (but are ranked by the WBC).

Because those posters don't even know who Ring considers "contenders."

Usyk is rated by the WBC, WBA and WBO at heavyweight ... but he isn't a heavyweight contender according to RING. Apparently, everyone knows Usyk's a heavyweight contender EXCEPT RING.

Hrgovic is rated by all the orgs at heavyweight right now ... but not by RING. Apparently, everyone knows Hrgovic is a heavyweight contender EXCEPT RING.

Michael Hunter is rated by all the orgs at heavyweight right now ... but not by RING. Apparently, everyone knows Hunter's a heavyweight contender EXCEPT RING.

Daniel Dubois is rated by the WBC, IBF and WBO at heavyweight right now ... but he isn't a heavyweight contender according to RING. Apparently they all know he's a heavyweight contender EXCEPT RING.

Dereck Chisora is the same. Rated by the orgs. Not rated by RING.

The RING didn't even rate Andy Ruiz before he fought Joshua, but the WBC did.

So don't give me this garbage that everyone knows who the contenders are. Even when all the orgs agree on who the contenders are, RING can't seem to get it's act together and figure it out.

The WBC contenders are all fine. Who is rated by the WBC who isn't a contender? Rattle them off?

Is Tyson Fury? Is Whyte? Is Povetkin? Is Parker? Is Usyk? Is Ortiz? Is Chisora? Is Hrgovic? Is Joyce? Kownacki? Pulev? Hunter?

Where are all these terrible contenders the WBC rates who AREN'T CONTENDERS?

The only reason you don't think the contenders Wilder knocked out are good is because HE BEAT THEM.

If Gerald Washington or Breazeale or any of them had upset Wilder, like Ruiz upset Joshua, you'd have no problem considering them a quality opponent.

But Wilder beat them all, so they suck. You don't have a clue.

Rumsfeld likes this.
  14. kirk

kirk l l l Staff Member

Jul 26, 2004
    :lol: Lots of satire on here lately

George Crowcroft likes this.
  15. Sugar 88

Sugar 88 The Empire Struck Back Full Member

Feb 4, 2012
    I agree. It took the stars to align for it to happen for Wilder who I don't believe to be capable enough to accomplish the feat at any other time really.

It used to be rare to have 3 weight world champions. Now Ricky Burns is one.

Rumsfeld likes this.