A point about Deontay Wilder and the ongoing nonsense regarding how many contenders he's faced

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Dubblechin, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Aydamn

Aydamn Dillian Da Dissappointment Full Member

Jul 31, 2018
    I cant believe my eyes, Everyone is swerving the name Dillian Whyte

700 days

George Crowcroft and Leeroy84 like this.
  2. Dance84

Dance84 Unicorn and seastar land Full Member

Oct 11, 2017

i agree they are haters

Dubblechin likes this.
  3. Aydamn

Jul 31, 2018
    @Dubblechin

I wouldn't rate (personally) Hrgovic, Joyce, or Dubois to be contenders for Wilder because they are relative novices.

I'd rate Hunter and DILLIAN WHYTE, and Chisora, and Rivas... and Usyk.... and DILLIAN WHYTE...

You know what, **** all of you for ignoring Dillian Whyte.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  4. Leeroy84

Leeroy84 Lancashire-la-la-la Full Member

May 7, 2016
    Wilder has been absurdly protected by the W(P)BC as can be seen by his awful string of 10 cherry pick defences, and the world see's him for what he really is, a paper champion.

When Wilder steps up and faces young, fit and reasonable contenders, I will take back my comment.

Molina
    Duhuapas
    Szpilka
    Arreola
    Washington
    Stiverne II
    Ortizn't I
    Fury
    Bumzeale
    Ortizn't II

This is an awful resume for a champion at this stage, really really pathetic.

Come on Wilder, make a fan out of me, I'm willing to change my opinion..... STEP UP or **** off.

A fit Fury in the rematch is a start but I see you hitting thin air all night worse than before.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    Tankatron and Mitch87 like this.
  5. Cally

Cally Sand...sand... nothing but sand! Full Member

Sep 12, 2015
    You make up for everyone bro... Lol

Southpawswitch and Aydamn like this.
  6. "TKO"

"TKO" Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Why have you just wasted half an hour replying to me about what somebody else said?

I don't give two hoots about any of the above in terms of this discussion, because Wilder hasn't fought any of them. But for the record:

Whyte - definite top contender, several good wins, only one loss to AJ.
    Fury - again, definite top contender, though he needs to stop dining out on the Klitschko and first Wilder fights and actually do something.
    Parker - former champ, arguably beat Whyte, definite contender.
    Povetkin - ask me again after the Hunter fight, definitely was, but after the brutal AJ KO and at the age of 40 odd may not be any longer, though has just beaten H Fury.
    Ortiz - See Povetkin, but swap Wilder for AJ
    Chisora - nah, good gatekeeper but that's it at this stage
    Hrgovic - not yet, good prospect, will probably become a contender but needs to beat someone better than Kevin Johnson first. Some prospects look good then fall apart when someone hits them back.
    Hunter - ask me again after the Povetkin fight, if he wins that impressively then yes. Think former cruisers need to beat an established heavyweight gatekeeper type first, whatever their accomplishments at the lower weight. Could maybe argue that Ustinov counts.
    Usyk - similar, needs to beat someone better than Witherspoon first, despite his cruiser credentials.
    Joyce/ Dubois - see Hrgovic
    Pulev - yeah, he's still legit though knocking on
    Kownacki - yeah, unbeaten and defeated several of Wilder's challengers. Deserves contender status.

But you know you're reaching when you have to list the reams of top guys your boy hasn't faced to try and legitimise the lesser fighters that he has!

OvidsExile and Leeroy84 like this.
  7. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    It's sad coz they know Whyte sparks an aggressive, mistake making Wilder the **** out.

Tankatron, Aydamn and Mitch87 like this.
  8. The Clan

The Clan Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Bullsh it

9. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    The WBC rates them all, too.

Ring doesn't rate Hunter, Chisora, Rivas and Usyk. So, by the logic of all these DIEHARD RING CONTENDER advocates, none of them are REAL contenders, either.

Whyte is a solid contender. As are the others. I'd like to see Wilder fight all of them.

But Tyson Fury is likely next.

10. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
    I'm not reaching. I'm just pointing out what a clown car these ridiculous arguments are.

Everyone Wilder has fought in the last five years have been WBC ranked contenders. The WBC heavyweight contenders are all fine contenders. Look 'em up.

On the other hand, three of the last four heavyweight champions - Joshua, Parker and Ruiz - weren't even rated by Ring when they won their first world titles. Hell Joshua, the only one of the three who was, was rated #10 by RING.

How are the RING ratings even remotely being held up by anyone as the be all end all? I remember when RING got a bug up their crack and decided not to RATE CRUISERWEIGHTS or RECOGNIZE cruiserweights, because it wasn't an original weight class.

Anyone remember the YEARS they ignored all those guys? The years every SUPER and JUNIOR and the cruiserweight division was ignored? And when they fired or got rid of that staff from the magazine, the new staff was like "Yeah, sorry about that." The guys rating boxers at RING are just as flawed as everyone else. Often moreso, when it comes to heavyweights.

The WBC contenders are fine. And they are who Wilder fights. Because he's the WBC champ.

11. Rusty100

Rusty100 New Member Full Member

Dec 1, 2018
    Are you getting paid to mention the word contender as many times as you possibly can?
    To be honest I’ve not heard anyone ok here making the argument you claim they do. What I hear is loads of people agreeing Wilder has cherrypicked his way though the past 4 years

Loudon and OvidsExile like this.
  12. Aydamn

Jul 31, 2018
    I’d say its boxings biggest tragedy that not even the boxing forum can acknowledge the number 1 contender or even mention him in a thread about contenders... just very confused right now

Is this life?

George Crowcroft likes this.
  13. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
    Every WBC Champion for 50+ years has fought WBC contenders.

I don't think that's news to most people on this site. (If it's news to you, you're either new to the sport or you haven't been paying attention.)

Most here just like to pile on Wilder and regurgitate the same insults over and over without giving them any thought.

Sorry I don't care to leap on the "pile." I'm just pointing out the facts.

Gotta go.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  14. Tankatron

Tankatron Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Surely the quality of their respective opponents needs to be taken into account rather than just lumping them all into the same 'exclusive club' and on top of that, since when is a draw a successful defence?

As already stated, if and when Wilder unifies, takes care of his long term number 1 mandatory in Whyte and maybe takes care of another consensus top 10 heavyweight, his resume will always be seen as relatively thin and smoke and mirrors.

I would have so much more respect for Wilder if he had a run of bouts where he just dared to be great rather than picking on old men, uber drivers, pastry chefs, supply teachers and football hooligans.

I'm sorry but, I'm yet to be bowled over and consistently impressed.

15. Tankatron

Tankatron Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Dude, apart from Fury and arguably, Ortizn't, all those fighters you list are far better than ALL of the other 'contenders' Wilder has faced and that's exactly the point everyone is trying to make.

I want Wilder to dare to be great. Win , lose or draw, fight the top challengers in your division and then you'll get the respect you crave. And Dubblechin, stop chomping on that Wilderesque dildo every time you post a thread about him ffs.

LANCE99 and Aydamn like this.