a possible expulsion from the organization for Sobral..

Discussion in 'MMA Forum' started by boxingcar, Aug 28, 2007.

1. WiDDoW_MaKeR

WiDDoW_MaKeR ESB Hall of Fame Member Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    These actions are just going way too far. For god sakes, are they going to kick out BJ Penn? He did the same thing. Hell, even Royce Gracie has done it before.

2. BewareofDawg

BewareofDawg P4P Champ Full Member

Apr 8, 2006
    A message has to be sent. For two reasons:
    1. Obviously the safety of the other fighter. MMA has a very good track record, although many observers see it as a brutal blood bath, it has actually been proven to be safer then the sport of boxing. This level of safety is attributed to one very important rule and method.....When the ref says stop, YOU STOP! What if Heath recieved brain damage from lack of oxygen and blood flow?

2. Marketability of the UFC as a whole. People/Fans do not want to see this, even the hardcore fans don't wanna see some guy choked unconscious after he has already tapped. Behavior like that makes the sport look awful. And to add insult to injury, and this is probably why he is getting ****ed, he admitted to doing it on purpose after the fight. He didn't try an play it off as an "adrenaline thing" or a "caught in the moment" thing. He admitted that holding the choke was pre-meditated and a method of revenge for Heath's disrespect prior to the fight. He's actually lucky he isn't getting criminal charges brought against him :think

3. WiDDoW_MaKeR

Jul 19, 2004
    Yes, but you can't let it go for other fighters, and then throw the book at Babalu. As I said before, BJ admitted to holding onto longer to teach Pulver a lesson as well... Royce Gracie did it as well, and both are treated like royalty.

This is being blown way out of proportion... the man held the choke for like 3 more seconds, and the only reason why people are overreacting is because the fight was so bloody, and gory. People get choked out in training every day. There will be NO long term effects from finishing out a choke. You have to have lost oxygen to the brain for MUCH MUCH longer than that to get perm damage. If you want to fine him, then fine him, suspend him, whever.... but the rules should be applied to EVERYONE, not just Sobral.

4. BewareofDawg

Apr 8, 2006
    I didn't know BJ said that.

5. WiDDoW_MaKeR

Jul 19, 2004
    Now, considering that BJ DID do the same thing, and that his fight was a MAIN EVENT, aired on Spike to MILLIONS of viewers for the TUF finale... and Babalu was an undercard literally only thousands of internet surfers even know about this incident... this doesn't make sense at all. If you are going to make an example out of someone, and use the crutch of "the outlook of the sport in the fans eyes"... wouldn't you do it to the guy who did it in the main event, in front of one of the largest audiences ever to view a UFC event? Not the guy who wasn't even televised?

6. BewareofDawg

Apr 8, 2006
    Yeah I agree. You're right, they should have penalized BJ as well. Going forward I hope they stay consistent. I guess they just don't want to **** BJ off and watch him run off again, right when it appears he's getting back on track. :deal

7. Donut62

Donut62 Active Member Full Member

Jul 31, 2006
    I completely agree with Widdow. This is taking it too far. Fine him, let NSAC do it's thing during the hearing and suspend him for 6 months or something. This happens a hell of a lot, and the only reason I think it's playing out like is because Sorbal has a reputation as a bad guy to being with. BJ did the same thing and everyone was like "OMFG PENN IS A BADASS HE CHOKED HIM GOOD LOLOLOOOLZZZZ". Babalu does it and they want to give him the electric chair.

8. Burundanga

Burundanga Renaissance Man Full Member

Jun 19, 2005