A question about using an exercise bike.

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by DavidC77, Sep 27, 2021.

1. DavidC77

DavidC77 Active Member Full Member

Aug 30, 2018
    When I'm on an exercise bike, I find that the first ten minutes are by far the toughest.

When I go on the bike, I alternate between cycling fast and then even faster at regular intervals.

In the first ten minutes, I'm out of breath and if I haven't been on the bike for a while, I'm unable to get through this initial ten minute period.

But if I can get past that, my breathing settles down and it becomes much easier. Why is that?

This evening I was on the bike for 45 minutes. When I came off my heart rate was high, I was dripping sweat, my legs ached, I was saddle sore but I wasn't really out of breath.

What is that makes that first ten minutes so much harder than the rest?

2. Likethembigroundchunky

Likethembigroundchunky Member Full Member

Nov 2, 2019
    All sorts of technical reasons but most likely lazyitus. The leg muscles are big, are designed to walk, not cycle. Your body doesn't really want to get fired up if it doesn't have too.

Try doing something dynamic before going on the bike. Dynamic stretching is important anyway but also try a little bit of dad dancing or anything that slowly warms you up and loosens you up too.

DavidC77 likes this.
  3. Tomatron

Tomatron Member Full Member

Jul 26, 2021
    A random question, when you go on the exercise bike, how long are you warming up / spinning? When you start how long does it take before you get in to full intensity?

DavidC77 likes this.
  4. DavidC77

DavidC77 Active Member Full Member

Aug 30, 2018
    To be honest, I don't warm up (which is probably bad). I just get on the bike and go straight into it.

I do it in three minute intervals where I do two minutes fast followed by a one minute burst which I then immediately repeat and keep going from there (so two minutes fast, one minute burst, two minutes fast, one minute burst etc...)

I went on tonight and the most difficult part was at around the six minute mark where my legs felt heavy and I was out of breath.
    By that point, I was thinking that I'd probably be able to do six intervals i.e. 18 minutes.

After that initial struggle, I was able to control my breathing and ended up doing 15 intervals so I was on the bike for 45 minutes.

It pretty much typified what I mentioned in the original post.

MagicE likes this.
  5. MagicE

MagicE Active Member Full Member

Aug 16, 2017
    I find it takes me about 10 minutes to get into it too, I like to sit on the bike and spend a few minutes on really low resistance while I set up my TV/music then fire up slowly, once the heart rate is up I reset the timer and my workout starts there

6. terrysmith

terrysmith New Member Full Member

Nov 23, 2021
    During quarantine, I decided to buy myself a few exercise machines. In fact, at first it was hard to do it, but then everything went back to normal. Now every morning I go down to my basement and train.