A question for posters on the british forum.

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Dunky McCafferty, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Dunky McCafferty

Dunky McCafferty Boxing Junkie banned

Aug 24, 2004
    I hope you dont mind me asking, & this thread could possibly bomb, cos its so close to the bone.
    However, Im going to ask anyway.

Most people here are from Scotland, England, NI.Ireland, ROI & Wales.

So how do you view british boxing? Do you cheer on fighters from your own country above anyone else, or do you cheer on fighters from the aforementioned countries equally, as we are all 'british'

I ask as I want to find out just how 'british' people from these shores truly feel.
    As I said before though, this is a tough question so I dont mind if certain posters wish to avoid it cos its a cutting question.
    So if you are still reading, are you a poster who cheers on fighters from these shores equally? Or do you want people from your own country to win above all else?
    & the question is aimed at the english, scots, Irish & welsh.

& lets have some honest answers please. No pussyfooting around. I hate pussyfooters.

2. Ilesey

Ilesey ~ Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    I cheer on a fighter I like regardless of the flag they are fighting under. That goes for 'civil wars' or if a British fighter travels.

3. Dunky McCafferty

Aug 24, 2004
    Well my man, you didnt tell me where you are from. So you are basically saying you would cheer on any fighter you like?

Thanks for answering, but to be honest you havent exactly answered my question.
    Its an awkward question I ask though, I must admit. So I dont blame you for not 'getting it'.
    Thanks for trying though.

4. sjc

sjc Active Member Full Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Something like...

English 100% support

Welsh 97% (except Joe of course)

Irish 95%

Scottish 3%

Hope that helps :good

5. Dunky McCafferty

Aug 24, 2004
    Of course it does. I just want to learn the truth.

6. Ilesey

Ilesey ~ Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    I'm Welsh (I thought the Cymru a byth may have given you a clue) and I did understand the question. What I was attempting to say was that nationality plays no part in who I cheer for so perhaps I shouldn't have ventured an answer for this one. I guess you could put me down in the column where a fan would cheer for a fighter 'equally' as we are all British.

7. Dunky McCafferty

Aug 24, 2004
    Sorry my Celtic pal, but I didnt notice your profile until you pointed it out to me. Just read it though, & seen you are indeed a welshman.
    However, thats where all similarities end. Cos unlike you, I consider myself Scottish, not british.

8. themacallan

themacallan Chin Chin Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    I'll support a Scot over any other.

I'll also support the lucky few for england, wales and norn iron whom i deem to be worthy of my support. I haven't really followed the sport for a while though and my favourite current boxer is jon thaxton, which says a lot about my present knowledge of the game

9. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    England is my country; anyone outside of England I support if I like them.

10. Decy

Decy Barely Coherent Full Member

Oct 23, 2006
    I think I am well qualified to answer this as I was born in England to a Welsh mother then adopted by an Anglo-Scottish couple and have lived in Ireland for the last 15 years I can honestly say I support the fighter not the nationality.The 1st fighter I really supported was Jim Watt I was also a Colin Jones fan.

ps just realised the above 1st line qualifies me to appear on the Jeremy(i hate that ****)Kyle show

11. steelem

steelem Active Member Full Member

Mar 5, 2006
    i cheer on british boxers full stop - the same as i cheer on our british football clubs when they play in europe - I hate those cxxxxs who cheer for say the germans if man utd are playing them.

12. stuey

stuey Never bet on England Full Member

Aug 13, 2004
    i am english dunk, not british.

for the record, i cheered willie limond against khan simply because i dont like khan's attitude.
    so i dont have a problem cheering on a sweaty. that said, i cannot stick AAA so will support just about anyone against him.
    i do not like maccarinelli and want to see him exposed, but i like calzaghe and always want him to win.
    all in all where they are from dont bother me too much providing i like their attitude, style, and if they can back their bull**** up.

13. doggyland

doggyland Active Member Full Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Who gives a **** except you Dunky?

Find a political forum for all this bollocks....

I like Ghanaian fighters for the record....Where does that leave me pigeon holed?

14. rooq

rooq Rooq's Boxing Promoter Full Member

Jan 16, 2007
    if it was a british fighter vs a non-british fighter i'd always back the brit.

not so clearcut for fights involving different home countries though...for me these depend on who's fighting.

for example, i was supporting foster jnr against alex arthur, partly because he's from manchester same as me, and partly because he was the underdog. i was supporting john simpson against derry matthews, because simpson was underdog and matthews is a dirty scouser.

there is a scotland - england rivalry going on, but i don't think it extends to wales or ireland. clinton woods vs joe calzaghe could never be sold as an england vs wales clash because joe has fought many times in england and has many english supporters.

am i pussyfootying?

15. knighty

knighty Active Member Full Member

Sep 30, 2007
    im welsh and joe is my favourite fighter and i do tend to support british boxers against foreign opposition, but at the end of the day i just wanna see a good fight. some times theres an exception though. like enzo vs haye. like i said im welsh but id prefer haye to win as it would be better for british boxing!