A very brief history of steroids-

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Kamikaze, Jul 22, 2021.

1. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Bye for now! banned Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    The Russians began use of TEST somewhere in the late 40s or the early 50s (No hard facts) Ziegler upon visiting there training sites discovered this after inquiring about there success (It was the weightlifting teams only as far as we know) So he returned to the states and had 3 lifters experiment with TEST after checking it out on himself, Grimek and two others I forget the names of In 1955 began using, this was after there competition days and they saw huge gains in strength, size ect more so then any time in there life. With not quite the knowledge we possess today they found some pretty bad side effects and so In response to this he had the next US weightlifting team use DBOL instead in training. It was developed in the late 50s by Ziegler and deemed safer (previously it was used to treat burn victims) this was for the 1960s Olympics In Rome (They still lost to Russia) and It is theorized Olympians from all walks had began dabbling after Ziegler's experiments post 60s.

Before all this synthesised TEST as we know it was created and used In 1935 and was only used to try and treat things like breast cancer, depression and to observe the effects on castrated mice among other things with the athletic properties not being uncovered till Zieglers visit to Russia. It is safe to assume steroids where used popularly by 1965? (That is a guess) so anything prior to 1935 is 100% safe and pretty much anything up until post 1960s Is kind of just foil hat talk.

Papers condemning the use of steroids did not begin until 1972 in June. With Bob Hazelton using by late 1969 I think 1965 onwards is a pretty safe guess for at least some major guys juicing most likely the boxers who went to the Olympics and there buddies.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  2. Kamikaze

Oct 12, 2020
  3. ecto55

ecto55 דמוקרטיזציה של השממות האיסלאמיות כעת banned Full Member

May 28, 2009
    I've got some articles on Eastern Bloc ped use and especially Cuban use in the 80's.....good stuff, it went into everything from the aerobic enhancers to the tranquilizer the Cuban teams used to deaden the central nervous system and so increase punch resistance.

I remember that substance sounded similar to the stuff Mayweather used to get injected into his hands...after rummaging through boxes in the garage I found the article, and 'close but no cigar'...the two substances only sounded similar!

From memory it didn't go into details of when these programs started but I think it did mention the programs 'father'...the doctor in charge. Maybe we can extrapolate from that?

I though the last 'clean' games was Melbourne '54? Is that not correct? Victor Conte likes spilling his guts to anyone who'll listen...maybe he;s put forward a year when the Olympics went 'dirty'? Just an idea.

Its going to be difficult...national pride / reputation is a hard barrier to overcome...look at all the cover-ups the Americans did for Carl Lewis for just one example.

4. Kamikaze

Oct 12, 2020
    If you link the articles I would be thrilled. 54 would most likely had been dirty with the soviets investing so much time in sports science and performance I imagine they came to similar conclusions as Ziegler much earlier. Do you know the name of the "Farther"?

5. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Testicle extracts were used in the 19th century, if that counts as a 'steroid', to boost vitality and performance. You can also find mentions of similar things further in the past. I believe a group of swimmers were caught in the 1860s using drugs to try increase their times, but I can't remember what it was.

I found this study you may find interesting @Kamikaze. Here's a quote:

People have been taking testosterone to restore “vitality” since the efficacy of some hormonal component of the testes was first described by Brown-Sequard in 1889. He reported the reversal of his own aging by self-injection of a testicular extract, thereby stimulated a flurry of experimentation into the putative anti-aging effects of testicular hormones long before the identity of testosterone was confirmed.

https://www.endocrine.org/~/media/e...hr/57/rphr_vol_57_ch_19_anabolic_steroids.pdf

6. ecto55

May 28, 2009
    Apologies K, all my articles are in hard copy. I have awoken to a nice pile of 'Self Defence' magazines from the 20's in my study / sun room that I didn't know I had (which is pleasing to me) and an opened up Boxing News from '88. So it seems I was trying to assist you. I'm not sure what I was looking for in the SD's mags. Boxing News has discussion on the drugs AIBA was intending to ban as they aided the Cuban's performances at the '86 Worlds. I've just re-read it now....boxing media, like everything, was more interesting back then, now its just PR hype and lip gloss by words. 'Suspicions were raised when one Russian uppercutted a Cuban into the air with no following-up ill effects'...when was the last time we read a sentence like that in a boxing magazine.

Richard M Murrieta and Kamikaze like this.
  7. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    It is called Modern Nutrition and Modern Training, many of us boxing fans were not born yesterday, no one can be naturally the size of the Empire State Building by eating Organic vegetables, Ha Ha, Lol. I do not watch science fiction cartoons.

8. ecto55

May 28, 2009
    ....yes, and they all tell the same spiel to alibi their steroid use too. 'Brown rice, chicken breast and broccoli' is the new spinach apparently.

9. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    That is the truth, they try to sell us that Balogna, as I said we were not born yesterday. I like it when fighters train the natural way, this is what Drago (Rocky 4) introduced to the public. Don't people know that Steroids are bad for you, look what happened to pro football player Lyle Alzado. Nothing in this world monetarily could make me use those nasty artificial means, those who used them must have been cheaters in school. I passed my classes the old fashioned way.

roughdiamond and Kamikaze like this.
  10. Kamikaze

Oct 12, 2020
    You are so old timey it is- admirable. Steroid use most likely started as early as 1965 mainstream. Journeyman by 1969 had it readily available this is a cold fact. One of the first papers addressing steroid abuse was June 1972 so it must have been common enough to address.

11. Kamikaze

Oct 12, 2020
    Mm- I don't know the means they used to inject teste juice but from memory it was a practice with no real effect at all other then maybe a placebo. I am aware Hitler even invested in this when he could not keep the purple headed solider marching. Though It is probably one of the earliest cases of research on the topic.

The earliest possible use (As far as I know) of synthetic useful T is in 1935 when they were still using it on castrated mice lol.