A Yank Asks: So, what's your take on Pavlik?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by marting, Oct 3, 2007.

1. marting

marting Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    I'm curious as to the British fan's assessment of Pavlik and particularly his chances in the super middleweight division. I think the perspective from your side of the pond might offer a little clarity until the dust settles in the post fight frothing going on in the states. There's a little too much chest thumping from the Taylor haters and swooning for Pavlik bandwagoneers to get some reasonable assessments stateside. There are a few and I've already gleaned those two or three.

I know there's some overhyping so spare the anti-US stuff just give me honest opinions.

2. rydersonthestorm

rydersonthestorm Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 27, 2007
    I think he loses to calzaghe and kessler but think he beats arthur abraham and any of the other middleweights. I do however think when joe is gone he would have a good shot at taking on the super middlweights as well, however i think joe is too slick for him and kessler has to much accuracy and power. He might be able to change my mind when he has had a few more fight's but beating jt and miranda doesn't equate to being able to go up and beat the best two fighter's at a higher weight class, both of whom are considered better than miranda and jt.

3. Dunky McCafferty

Dunky McCafferty Boxing Junkie banned

Aug 24, 2004
    You asked an honest question, so I will give you an honest answer.

Pavlik IMO is one hell of a fighter. Totally old school, no fancy bull****, he knows he has big power & fights to his strengths, walking foward & landing bombs thanks to his long arms, which means even top guys like Taylor cant jab & move against him without being caught in return. & he proved against a massive puncher like Taylor he has the heart of a lion to match when the fight looked as if it was going against him to pull through.

I mean, to KO Miranda was great enough, but to then go on & destroy Taylor in the same round? You cant argue with that, he brutally took out two great fighters in their primes.

& thats from me, a true neutral when it comes to overseas fighters. Pavlik has got the lot. Im not into discussing what he will or will not do in the future, but for now hes the man, & deservedly so.

4. eddie007

eddie007 Member Full Member

Oct 1, 2007
    Exactly what DM said, he is a true fighters fighter. He is exactly what boxing needs.

5. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Great heart and excellent punch, and it has got him a long way, but the Middleweight Champion historically has been an excellent all-rounder, Pavlik is not that.

6. sean

sean pale peice of pig`s ear Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    pavlik proved that heart/will to win/power as well as abilty overcomes more accomplished well rounded fighters.

as with miranda he picks a gameplan and executes.

what more can you ask from a fighter.
    i have seen other fights from pavlik where he boxed of the backfoot v limited fighters and controlled the fight, so he can mix it up and fight different styles which makes him a good fighter.

strengths/
    will to win/power/height and reach/good chin/heart/natural warrior/adaptabilty/stamina/focus and single mindedness/
    nice variety on offense/great finisher/can go up and down the gears/

weaknesses/
    leg movement/head movement/bit reckless on offense with his left not guading against the cross/needs to shorten his punches a little more on the inside to stop getting counterd.

one more thing he is a real crowd pleaser and entertaining to watch and will get a big following and so will be good for boxing.

no need for him to move up to 168, his advantages are at 160 and i presume with his last 2 perfotrmances the american tv will be all over him with money.

john duddy is a nice easy fight and good money so he should cash in before his body forces him to move up.

7. stuey

stuey Never bet on England Full Member

Aug 13, 2004
    i am bang on the pavlik bandwagon, he is a breath of fresh air, fights like he loves it, proper exciting too.
    great talent, great personality, exactly what boxing needs...

8. gutto

gutto Guest

Can not fault Pavlik at this stage last 2 fights fantastic great recovery in the 3rd round against jt can not wait to see more pavlik fights down loading some as we speak (type):happy

9. Nemesis

Nemesis Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 9, 2005
    agreed!

The thing is people keep complaining about him needing to improve his boxing ability and defence, which if he did would not make him the fighter he is today.

He provides entertainment and his willing to stick his life on the line (literally), which is rare in boxing today, I'm a fan :good

10. The Kurgan

The Kurgan Boxing Junkie banned

Nov 16, 2004
    Fun to watch, but overhyped.

11. Boro chris

Boro chris Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Big, strong, tough and I really liked his composure when under fire in the 2nd last sat.
    I place him just a level below Kessler and Calzaghe at the moment but he should improve in the next couple of years.
    The only middle who will give him problems is Abraham as Pavliks defensive vulnerabilities are obvious, AA hits quite a bit harder than Taylor imo so its a risky fight but I'd still favour Pavlik. Sturm isn't gonna want to know however.:D
    Duddy is a is a sacrificial lamb and a very cynical display of matchmaking but thats boxing I suppose.

At 168 lbs is where its at in the next couple of years. If Calzaghe manages to get past Kessler but takes plenty of punishment he might be a tempting target. If Kessler wins then thats the guy I dont see KP beating. Of course we'll find out a lot more about him after the nov. unification fight.

12. brown bomber

brown bomber 2010 Poster of the Year Full Member

Jul 1, 2006
    i'm a fan- don't think he's going to last long but i'll be watching all the way

13. David UK

David UK Boxing Addict banned

Feb 6, 2007
    I think Pavlik is the real deal. He definately has bad intentions!! He reminds me a lot (stylewise) of Mark Kaylor, albeit a better version

14. dwilson

dwilson Guest

I am on the Pavlik bandwagon and can not see any of the other middles doing much to bother him, the europeans are crap apart from AA who people either rate or hate so a jump up to supermiddle would be interesting.

15. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    That has to be the mother of all understatements! But I think there is a compliment in there somewhere.;)