A Yank Asks: So, what's your take on Pavlik?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by marting, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Steve Fox

Steve Fox Guest

Pavlik could make a few defences, but he looks ripe for undoing by a fighter with a plan.

2. rooq

rooq Rooq's Boxing Promoter Full Member

Jan 16, 2007
    pavlik is definitely going to be more fun to watch than taylor. i'd like to see him face AA though so there can be no debate about how is number 1 in the middleweight division.

i don't think he should move up to SMW for a few years yet, unless hes struggling to make weight.

3. EspadaYdaga

EspadaYdaga Member Full Member

Sep 21, 2007
    I think most people respect his power and heart, but he is going to come undone eventually. Abraham would be a good fight that I'd expect him to come through, but after that there is little left for him in the MW division.

He'll get a hammering off Calzaghe and Kessler I fear.

4. buddynabuick

buddynabuick Active Member Full Member

May 5, 2007

I would say the same thing irregardless of where he is from:good Hes a goodin

5. achillesthegreat

achillesthegreat FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Big, strong, powerful and mentally/physically relentless.

Enough said.

6. Jack Dempsey

Jack Dempsey Legend Full Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Agreed:yikes

Thats gotta be a first

7. bizness

bizness Member Full Member

Oct 4, 2007
    pavlik superb fighter very suprised he took taylor out,but think hopkins would take him to school.

8. marting

marting Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 20, 2004

I too saw some of those "off the backfoot abilities" in the Taylor fight where he changed gears a bit and actually was outboxing Taylor. Landing jabs and covering nicely. Althought the judges didn't seem to see them that way. That ability to make changes really surprised me. If he develops that skillset I think he could be extremely difficult for anybody. I'd like to see him completely can the showboating thing.

I think when he fights a nonstop forward fight he could be had by a classic counterpuncher who had some whiskers but those are rare traits and would give anyone problems.

I don't think his defense is all bad but you're right he could use a little more head movement.

One trait that I like is he's a finisher. That's a skill that will serve him well.

9. Nemesis

Nemesis Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 9, 2005
    I know!

and not one anti-english element to the post at all, Dunky must've been sober

*Dunkster, you know I only jest ;)

10. Healy

Healy Former Wee Poof

Feb 13, 2006
    Great person, in and out of the ring

Big fan

11. rumour24tiger

rumour24tiger Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 27, 2006
    First off, Pavlik is not hyped. He learned his trade with no fanfare whatsoever apart from a hometown fight with Lenoard Pierre which drew a good home crowd.

Taylor's move to the top was cosmetic; Pavlik got there through gritty performances vs Zuniga, Zertuche, Miranda and Taylor. Learned how to fight in his own time and took his shot when he was ready.

Taylor was hyped - he got a title shot because he scored a KO on a Hopkins undercard and had an Olympic medal. Pavlik was reluctantly given HBO dates; Miranda was the prefered man to face Taylor (see HBO build up).

My thoughts on Pavlik - awesome will, stamina and power. Terrific punch repertoire. He's a rare Yank that I root for. Needs to polish up & grow into the title and - as Arum says - fight 4 times a year.

I don't accept that he's technically inept. Look at his solid boxing in rd 1 vs Taylor and look how, in the 7th, he found his rhythm and beat Taylor with long jabs & rights. He's got to start relying on the jab a bit because it's a snappy jab and in all honesty I want to see him in the game a long time.

With his size and reach you'd have to say few ppl are totally safe against him. Take some tune ups on network TV, have an optional defense vs Duddy, cash in with lucrative bout with either Taylor rematch or Mora and close next year by taking on Abraham.

Pav's in good hands - Arum promoted Toney and McCallum (though he maybe over promoted Toney and undersold McC)...

Pavlik & Abe in the same division will be like Julian Jackson/Nigel Benn/Gerald McClellan. Lot to learn but he can be a good super middle, maybe even a title holder though probably not lineal champ.