Aaryon Pryor is no legend but a cheater

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Jayme Chavez, Dec 19, 2018.

1. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Panama Lewis. Just a bad guy for boxing.

2. MURK20

MURK20 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I always questioned Duran's hand wrappings in the Davey Moore fight. Since Panama lewis in his corner. The beating was Margarito and Restoesque. Panama was also in Montreal.

Rspen46 likes this.
  3. Berlenbach

Berlenbach Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 27, 2011
    So what was actually in the bottle that could have given him a boost that quickly?

All kinds of things go on in corners that fighters get away with. I remember in Saad Muhammad's first fight with John Conteh, Saad's corner were pouring what looked like tarmac into his cuts. Whatever it was, I'm sure it wasn't legal, but it held his face together long enough for him to get the win.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  4. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Get over it please. Must of you act as if Pryor was losing the fight until the "magic bottle". He was winning the fight, he'd already tasted some of Arguello's best power shots, and hadn't even been knocked down( I like most of you thought,that if fighters like Kimada, and Johnson could put Pryor on his ass, Arguello would kill him) guess what? It was more a balance issue because of his recklessness, than a problem with his chin. Pryor Arguello #1 showed what Pryor could be when he fought a disciplined fight. He gave Arguello a rematch and then stopped him earlier. Was Arguello over the hill? Possibly, but he did go on and win the Jr.welter crown from B.Castello after the Pryor fights, and did it with 1 clean shot. Pryor was just a better super light/jr.welt than Arguello was. Doesn't mean he ranks higher than Arguello where history is concerned ( he doesn't) but at that weight he was a better fighter. He is an ATG at jr welter, I haven't seen anyone yet who fought at that weight I would make a big favorite over him, Other than Chavez, or Duran, I think he out works Mayweather jr, or Whitaker (don't believe that had the power to keep him honest) . Give the fighter the credit deserved, for a short period of time, he was a ATG at jr.welter.

Jel, George Crowcroft, Titan1 and 2 others like this.
  5. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Miguel Happy Lora had a similar controversy following his 2nd fight with Alberto Dávila. He was caught drinking illegal substance (sugar water?), and was ultimately exonerated by a very narrow 4-3 margin in the following Investgation. Many feel he should have been DQ’d following the discovery. I guess because it was not quite as high of a profile fight that Lora is given a pass?

6. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016

Oh afraid not, what type of illegal substance did he use? It would go to his stomach and stay there for some time. Steroids is the preferred illegal substance. He gave him a rematch and pummeled him again,

7. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    I don't know if Aaron was truly a legend, but he was a damned good fighter who some overrated a tad. As far as the black bottle, could have been something there, but not definitely sure.

8. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Nonsense . Aaron beat Arguello fair and square and without doubt was an all time great. Sore loser fans (any Cooney fan for instance) are really boring and lose all credibility.

9. escudo

escudo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 13, 2014
    I think those questions got put to bed when Duran fought Barkley. Against an even bigger guy Duran put in some horrible shots. Davey and Iran we Tailor made for Duran to take apart.

10. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Geez, Duran took Moore apart like an old car on blocks, he could have used 16 oz gloves and it wouldn't have mattered

The Morlocks likes this.
  11. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Thumbing Davey in the eye helped as well.

12. Flash24

Oct 22, 2015
    Yes he did, but in those days it was part of the game. Many fighters have been thumbed but won the fight. The great ones overcome.

13. escudo

escudo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 13, 2014
    There was no moment in that fight where Davey looked in it. Duran walked on him like a red carpet.

Reinhardt and Flash24 like this.
  14. redrooster

redrooster Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 29, 2005
    pryor's career is somwhat short. i cant figure why he would back down from someone like bumphus, but he did clean out his division, and whipped two greats, not to mention, made Leonard back down when challenged faced to face, in public

was ranked number two p4p, over Hearns Fall 1984

15. Flash24

Oct 22, 2015
    Oh I agree, but some use that excuse for his loss to Duran.