Abae medical,drug test.

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by det, May 1, 2013.

1. det

det Member Full Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Hoping to have my first contest in october and my coach wants to put me forward for my medical. Stupidly i went out on the beer 5 weeks ago,and ended up smoking weed and havin a gram of coke too. Feel crap about it,dont want to embarress myself and more importantly my coach if im tested at the medical. Does anyone know if they test? If so is it a **** test or blood test? Posted this in the lounge,but after thought id probably get a better answer here!

Im in the u.k btw
    Thanks!

2. RichC

RichC Member Full Member

May 15, 2011
    You will not be tested you for drugs.

3. det

det Member Full Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Thanks for the reply RichC, don't like even asking the question on here but it's difficult to get a good answer just by searching online. Some say u do some say u don't. Is the **** and blood test for other reasons then?

4. captain hook

captain hook Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 11, 2011
    its for your blood screen --> leukociti, iron in blood (i dont know whats english translation :)), sugar in blood etc. etc...

urine is also, they can see if you have blood in urine or something..

this are tests to see if you are healthy, but if you take too many drugs that will be seen in your blood and urine screen (too much, or too less of something etc..). spliff few weeks before wouldnt do nothing, coke also i think

5. RichC

RichC Member Full Member

May 15, 2011
    This is the form the doctor goes through at the medical.

This content is protected

According to the above form, the urine test is just to make sure there is no blood or glucose and that protein levels are normal.

No mention of giving blood and none of our lads have ever had to give blood either.

Good luck.

6. det

det Member Full Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Thanks again RichC, like I say gutted to even be askin the question on here. At 32 I should know better!! Don't wana stall the medical cus I need to get a few contests in before I'm 34.

7. w12

w12 New Member Full Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Don't worry, even if they did a drug test they wouldn't find any, you can't trace the bugle after a couple of days and you have to have smoked a lot of weed for a long time for them to be able to trace any after a month.

And also, AIBA are changing the rules so the age limit for amateur boxing will be 40. This is one of the changes they are making this year along with the new scoring system and getting rid of the head guards. At least this is what my coach told me, and I had a look at the rules and it looks like he's right:

This content is protected

"1.1. Age Classification
    1.1.1. Men and Women Boxers between the ages of 19 to 40 are categorized as Elite Boxers."

8. det

det Member Full Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Is this the "masters division" your talking about?

9. w12

w12 New Member Full Member

Mar 13, 2011
    No, normal amateur boxing. The age limit to get a license will no longer be 34, they are changing it to 40. This is what my coach said and this is how I understand it as well, reading the rules I linked. Good news for late starters who want to compete in the amateurs.

10. det

det Member Full Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Good news indeed!:bbb

11. RichC

RichC Member Full Member

May 15, 2011
    I think your coach is referring to elite boxers competing in international AIBA competitions.

I don't think the ABAE have adopted this rule. I could be wrong though.

12. det

det Member Full Member

Nov 15, 2005
    I was pretty sure you could only box upto 34 then itd be the masters division. Out of interest anyone know anything about the masters scene? Im from nottingham, heard you probably have to travel pretty far for fights and that theyre hard to come by. Hopefully wrong though, id just prefer to do masters than the unlicenced stuff.