Acelino "Popó" Freitas

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by IntentionalButt, Nov 7, 2017.

1. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    My dude is making yet another return to active duty.

If you missed the one he made 5½ years ago:

https://www.boxingforum24.com/threads/acelino-freitas-vs-michael-oliveira-rbr.406231/

...it was a wild ride.

Freitas had fought just once in over six years at that point, having officially retired from boxing for the first time after his split decision victory over Zahir Raheem...and for the second time after returning on the eve of the anniversary of that fight and ultimately being made to quit on his stool (for the second time in his career) by Juan "Torito" Díaz. That was a lightweight in April 2007. Fast-forward to June of 2012 and he made an unexpected jump to light middleweight to answer the challenge of 16-0 (11) countryman and natural middleweight "The Brazilian Rocky" Michael Oliveira. Freitas dominated and kayoed the much bigger and younger man.

Then skip to August 2015, a few weeks shy of his fortieth birthday, and the former super featherweight champ scored one more knockout @ 154lbs, this one perhaps over the a better opponent than Oliveira in respected Argentine journeyman Mateo Damián Verón (who boasts career victories over Jorge Sebastian Heiland, Guido Pitto, and Javier Francisco Maciel). Again, that was at 39 years old.

This coming Saturday, at 42, he will charge once more unto the breach for a third foray to super welter, taking on Gabriel Alejandro Martínez. "El Rey" is best remembered by fans in his native Mexico for a spirited effort in an eventual 12th-round loss to a 17-year-old budding star named Canelo Álvarez, or by international audiences for a brawl with Mark Jason Melligen in another unsuccessful effort.

Hardly a top quality scalp, but the fact that Freitas is 42 (and tempting fate after not once but twice returning to face men that VASTLY outsize him) is what makes this muy loco!

2. bailey

bailey VIP Member Full Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Used to really like Freitas

3. Beouche

Beouche Juan Manuel Marquez Full Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Always found it odd that Brazil - a country famous for producing a deluge of monster MMA fighters - has been so lacking in top shelf boxers

Michael used to be known as the Chairman of the Board. He's not fought since 2013. Seemed like a really nice guy

4. pincai

pincai The Indonesian Thin Man Full Member

Jun 10, 2012
    The late Corrales took his soul, but a prime Popo was an exciting puncher.

5. Odins beard

Odins beard Fentanyl is one hell of a drug.... Full Member

Apr 13, 2014
    I always thought Oscar Suarez changed Freitas for the worse when he took over training him.

Exciting fighter, I saw him when he fought Daniel Alicia in Sheffield.

Wish him all the best if comeback happens.

Keleneki, khaosai galaxi and pincai like this.
  6. Russell

Russell VIP Member banned Full Member

Apr 1, 2007
    The real question is, was Freitas more disrespected, or maybe more accurately, underrated... in his prime, or now?

I feel like he doesn't really get thes credit he deserves. Maybe it's just me.

khaosai galaxi likes this.
  7. OvidsExile

OvidsExile At a minimum, a huckleberry over your persimmon. Full Member

Aug 28, 2012
    Quien es el mas macho?

8. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    He got hung with the scarlet letter Q for quitting a couple of times in his career, but when you look at the actual circumstances both times and then look at the fact that far more egregiously offensive quitters have been given reprieves and kept their fan bases intact, somehow - it seems a bit selective, and more than a little unfair that he gets eternally **** on because of two nights in an otherwise crowd-pleasing and high-caliber run of world class professional boxing, while guys like Victor Ortiz get contradictory pass after pass.

9. Russell

Russell VIP Member banned Full Member

Apr 1, 2007
    More articulate than me. :hang:buitre:

10. OvidsExile

OvidsExile At a minimum, a huckleberry over your persimmon. Full Member

Aug 28, 2012
    Brazil is known for it's Jiu Jitsu. The guys that come from there are good at MMA because of their Jits backgrounds.

BCS8 and khaosai galaxi like this.
  11. MVC!

MVC! The Best Ever Full Member

Nov 5, 2013
    I would have loved to see him fight Floyd during Floyd's prime, even though we know Floyd would have probably knocked him.

12. Beouche

Beouche Juan Manuel Marquez Full Member

Oct 13, 2010
    That's true. But you also have devastating strikers like Anderson, Rua, Wanderlei, Belfort and Machida that you feel could have done very well in boxing. Perhaps its just the culture with JJ and Muay Thai being huge over there and boxing not

13. khaosai galaxi

khaosai galaxi Superbad Full Member

Apr 17, 2017
    It would be great if he would have fought floyd Castillo or Marquez. Good fighter nonetheless.

14. Villain

Villain Active Member Full Member

Jul 27, 2004
    Yeah boxing is just not a big sport there. It's all about soccer, Jiu Jitsu, and MMA. Freitas was one of my favorites. Great puncher and athletically gifted. Just had a heart issue later on and not an ideal boxing trainer for the elite level.

Beouche likes this.
  15. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    This content is protected

OvidsExile likes this.