Actor on set of Big Boss confirmed a fight with Bruce Lee with a thaiboxer

Discussion in 'MMA Forum' started by Canibus81, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Dave_j1985

Dave_j1985 Active Member Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Interesting read allsop

2. PH|LLA

PH|LLA VIP Member Full Member

Feb 1, 2007
    this thread is very interesting.

I think Bruce Lee recognized the importance of Jujitsu and wrestling. In the documentary they mention how one of the counterparts of Lee in the film that was in filming when he died is a 7th degree HapKiDo black belt.

In a way, MMA at its best is an expression of Jeet Kun Do.

3. outtieDrake

outtieDrake Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 17, 2009
    this thread is stupid. 23 pages about a rumor and hear say.

i dont get it.

4. Beebs

Beebs Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Bingo.

5. Canibus81

Canibus81 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2008
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC1NtJmoBws[/ame], don't tell these guys are on here that, they'll say he can't fight and that it's only for show even though you can clearly see his techniques but they'll still tell you he can't fight and he doesn't know what he's doing.

6. Beebs

Beebs Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 21, 2007
    We are all still waiting for you to back up your claim that you beat up a BJJ blackbelt, or are you going to continue to dicktuck?

7. PIRA

PIRA Arise Sir Lennox. Full Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Seconded - stop hiding and back up your claim of beating a BJJ black belt.

And visit Gene's website you lameass troll - if you are going to quote make sure it is not an idiot that has already been told to visit Gene's bio and stop being stupid.

8. Flash Jab

Flash Jab Boxing Junkie banned

Jul 29, 2010
    Carruthers is like a ****ing shadowman. He has literally no publicity, despite him being clearly one of the most if not the most impressive instructor around today.

Pity he's from a shithole.

9. sugarngold

sugarngold RIDDUM Full Member

Jun 10, 2007
    That's a sweet clip. Tommy uses JKD trapping combos nicely but I think Carruthers is trying out for movies as well. I'm not sure about the hook kick behind the back. There's no way that's a good move when you're essentially giving up your back to your opponent.

I'm a JKD guy myself - but I'm also a jiujistu guy so I'm curious about the story as well. You put it out there so might as well fill everyone in.

10. Canibus81

Sep 16, 2008

Oh I don't mind. I can see your on the same page as me with these discussions. As for me beating up a BJJ black belt, I said a friend of mines is BJJ black belt and he couldn't get in my range when he tried getting in on me when we were training.(and we were actually trying to get at each other, no playing around) I never said I beat up a BJJ black belt in BJJ or in his own game. And a Jiujitsu guy isn't gonna beat a real JKD guy because he's not gonna be able to find as many links.

And BTW, BJJ is another link that you can add on to JKD if you choose, as with any style. That's the whole concept of JKD, which is the precursor to MMA because that's what MMA is.(and I know you know that already) Only difference is JKD is also made for streets not just for tornaments.(which you would have to water down obviously because of the rules)

11. achillesthegreat

achillesthegreat FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    ...but when put to the test BJJ won out in many styles vs styles because people didn't have a ****ing clue what sub was being locked on.

In UFC 1, that was an excellent opportunity for so many styles, like JKD, to prove what they could do. Savate, boxing, wrestling etc were all there. Gracie proved he could be outweighed but still succeed, so where was Tommy.

Why isn't there a proper competition and why aren't they entering any combat sports?

12. sugarngold

Jun 10, 2007
    Actually by the time UFC 1 came around - most of the big US based JKD instructors were already training jiujitsu with either Rorian, Rickson or the Machados.

13. Canibus81

Sep 16, 2008
    And all of the fighters who competed in the earlier UFC's were mostly one dimensional fighters, which put style vs. style fight and most of them weren't even that good at all.

Kimo definetly wasn't that good and he almost beat Royce Gracie. Gracie does get credit though for exposure to BJJ in the early UFC's but we seen when guys started evolving and using the same Theories that Bruce had already stated over 20yrs. ago before the UFC came about and the gracies were average fighters.

14. achillesthegreat

achillesthegreat FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    If they weren't that good then why didn't a JKD fighter go in and popularise their style. That is in effect what the Gracies did.

15. sugarngold

Jun 10, 2007
    Achilles - are you familiar with Eric Paulson? He was in effect the best of the JKD fighters fighting in the early days of MMA - before it was MMA. He held the Shooto lightheavyweight championship from 1996 to 2000. He also studied under the Rorion and Rickson starting in 1989 - in the now famous "garage days" of Brazilian jiujitsu.