AdamB's in-depth training log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by AdamB, Jan 16, 2012.

1. AdamB

AdamB Member Full Member

Jan 15, 2012
    Foreword
    I'm pretty new to boxing, roughly 3-4 months in at the moment but with small gaps due to the gym being closed over Christmas and wrist troubles. I want to keep this log for my own record firstly, but also because I haven't trained before so I hope this can give me a better idea of how my gym is and what I'm doing right and wrong outside of it.

For now I'm keeping what I do outside of the gym pretty light as I only went back for the first time after Christmas yesterday - don't want my performance and technique in class to suffer.

I'm gonna follow the format of:

Hours of Sleep on Previous Night

Meal Diary

Fluids

Outside Gym Training

Inside Gym Training

Notes
    Here I will put any external factors that may have affected my training as well as an assessment of how it went.

Will make my first log after training tonight.

Any advice or suggestions for more fields to add would be appreciated.

2. AdamB

AdamB Member Full Member

Jan 15, 2012
    7 hours 30 minutes

Work Day?
    No

Meal Diary
    08:00 - Small bowl of almond oat cereal, 1 slice of Best of Both bread with Marmite.
    12:30 - 1 tin of Tuna, 2 medium eggs (hard boiled), portion of couscous mixed in a bowl with wholegrain mustard, lemon juice, small amount of mayonnaise and salt + pepper.
    17:55 – Small amount of leftover chicken, chunk of energy bar made up of oats, honey and peanut butter.
    21:30 – Small portion of bulgar wheat, small portion of spicy tomato peppers and green beans, some potato and carrot stew and some more leftover chicken.

Fluids
    12 cups of water throughout the day
    1 cup of tea with semi–skimmed milk – 12:50
    1 Lucozade isotonic sports drink – 18:30

Outside of the Gym Training
    9:00am - 2 x 20 minutes cycling on varying terrain, medium–high intensity

Inside of the Gym Training
    3 x 3 minute rounds of skipping
    3 x 3 minute rounds of shadowboxing
    9 x 3 minute rounds alternating between large heavy bag, smaller heavy bag, uppercut bag and the double ended bag
    2 x 3 minute rounds sparring

Notes
    Yesterday was the first class I’d had in 3 weeks, so I had some general aches and pains, nothing too bad. I hadn’t been to the shops so my breakfast wasn’t really ideal.

I’d normally be at work before evening training, not being so allowed me to eat a pretty decent amount of food which fuelled a pretty good workout. I was sparring for the 5th time today against a guy with an equal body type to me but who was more experienced and in much better shape – we were pretty even until later in the rounds. The second round I did better at working round his jab with some slipping and parry counters, I intended to use my right cross and overhand to counter over his jab but I forgot to in the heat of things.

Just realised I really need to record a current accurate height, weight etc for myself. Last time I checked I’m around 6’0” and 155 pounds.

3. AdamB

AdamB Member Full Member

Jan 15, 2012
    7 hours 45 minutes

Work Day?
    Yes

Meal Diary
    07:30 – Bowl of oatmeal with a banana
    10:10 – Egg McMuffin with a hash brown
    14:00 – Bulgar wheat, spicy tomato peppers and green beans, potato and carrot stew, leftover chicken
    19:30 – Slightly improvised Thai green curry with potato, onion, courgette and chicken cooked in green curry paste with creamed coconut, a little cream and some milk

Fluids
    8 cups of water throughout the day
    1 white coffee – 10:20

3 x 3 minute rounds of shadowboxing, first round focussing on footwork
    3 x 15 press-ups, 30 seconds between each set
    3 x 30 sit-ups, 30 seconds between each set
    3 x 8 wide press-ups, 30 seconds between each set
    3 x 15 hindu squats, 30 seconds between each set

None

Notes
    Real shitty diet day. I’ll call it a cheat day and step it up for the rest of the week.

4. AdamB

AdamB Member Full Member

Jan 15, 2012
    6 hours 30 minutes

Work Day?
    Yes

Meal Diary
    07:30 – Bowl of oatmeal with strawberry jam
    10:30 – 25g pack of beef jerky
    12:45 – Portion of leftover Thai green curry, a banana and an apple
    15:00 – Oat and nut bar
    18:05 – Peanut butter and honey oat bar
    22:00 – Pasta with tomato sauce (tomato with chicken, peas, onion and mushroom)

Fluids
    7 cups of water throughout the day
    07:40 - 1 tea with semi-skimmed milk
    10:30 - 1 black coffee
    13:00 – 1 black coffee
    18:30 – Lucozade isotonic sports drink

None

5 x 3 minute rounds of skipping, mixed intensity
    9 x 3 minute rounds throwing set combinations at heavy bag

Punchout Drills
    1 x 1 minute round of 1-2 to the body, 1-2 to the head then 4 toe touch/star jumps
    1 x 1 minute round of 1-2 to the head then 4 tuck jumps
    1 x 1 minute round of constant hooks to the body
    1 x 1 minute round of constant 1-2s to the head
    1 x 1:30 minute round of 6 punches then a burpee, alternating 6 to the head and 6 to the body

Notes
    Lack of sleep and probably not enough water affected me heavily – maybe also the coffee. I was noticeably tired from just the skipping and the first round on the heavy bag my arms felt like lead after 30 seconds – struggled through the combinations but managed to gather the energy to go hard on the punchout drills at least.

There was a massive amount of great sparring during the punchout drills with a variety of opponents which I unfortunately ended up skipping on due to how little energy I have.

5. AdamB

AdamB Member Full Member

Jan 15, 2012
    6 hours 30 minutes

Work Day?
    Yes

Meal Diary
    07:30 – Bowl of shredded wheat
    10:30 – Packet of crisps
    14:00 – 2 sandwiches, chicken, rocket and jalapenos with some mayonnaise between 4 slices of wholemeal bread, an apple
    16:00 – Oat and nut bar
    20:30 – Pie with potato, sweet potato, cottage cheese, some blue cheese with roasted courgette, peppers and onion, a nectarine

Fluids
    11:00 – cup of black coffee

2.75 mile jog

Notes
    No boxing today, thought I’d go for a jog round the neighbourhood – found a nice route which works out to be 2.75 or so miles, will up it to 3 next time. Kept a decent pace and did it in about 35 minutes – I haven’t tested how far I can run nor how long I can maintain a strong pace so I will keep pushing this. Same amount of sleep as yesterday but felt much better after work, guess the caffeine was the source of the shitty weak feeling.

6. AdamB

AdamB Member Full Member

Jan 15, 2012
    8 hours

Work Day?
    No

Meal Diary
    11:00 – 3 scrambled eggs on 2 pieces of wholemeal toast
    14:00 – Broccoli soup with slice of wholemeal toast
    19:00 – Small steak with potato wedges and salad (tomato, lettuce, avocado)

Fluids
    10:00am – cup of tea with semi-skimmed milk

5 minutes jogging
    5 x 3 minute rounds of alternating sprints and fast jogging on varying terrain, mostly uphill

None

Notes
    Holy ****. I stretched out pretty well after the sprints and felt fine, but at about 18:30 my lower back completely seized up. After a bit of reading it seems like I had bad posture whilst jogging downhill.

Posting this a day after – haven’t done anything today and couldn’t go to the gym because my lower back is still ****ed from yesterday. Oops.