After Wilders destruction of Breazeale

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Scissors, May 19, 2019.

Who do you now favour in a fight?

  1. Joshua

    58 vote(s)
    64.4%
  2. Wilder

    32 vote(s)
    35.6%
  1. anjawnaymiz

    anjawnaymiz My real name is Andrew, from Wembley UK Full Member

    5,901
    3,418
    Sep 6, 2008
    Fury went into that fight with the best game plan and almost executed to perfection!
    That way of spoiling, countering, throwing faints and being completely unorthodox is the way to beat wilder. Let’s be honest I think if we had had a fully fit fury in there he would’ve won easier.

    For AJ to beat wilder it’s all about timing and distance for AJ. My old boxing trainer always said the way to beat someone that just swings wildly and throws big hayemakers is to beat them to the punch by closing the distance and throwing shorter sharper punches that land first. Ok easier said than done obviously but I think if AJ and Wilder work on that strategy then they can beat wilder.

    The other option is to have a shoot out but I think I’d slightly favour wilder if that were to happen
     
    Suspect.chin likes this.
  2. Bonavena25

    Bonavena25 Vamos! Full Member

    4,778
    1
    Nov 2, 2007
    Wilder will absolutely destroy him.

    Joshua is a very competent well-rounded boxer-puncher, but he doesn't have anywhere near the reset-inducing feints or footwork of Fury, or the consistent front-foot southpaw threat of Ortiz. He will sit back and attempt to pick his punches; deal with the Wilder threat in cerebral fashion. He might look good for a while but I expect Wilder to detonate that right-hand within in the first few rounds and close the show in emphatic fashion.
     
  3. Lesion of Doom

    Lesion of Doom Active Member Full Member

    1,413
    1,698
    Jan 21, 2015
    Joshua 60/40, exactly what I've always thought. He's the better fighter but vulnerable to a Wilder right hand. It's a damn shame the fight isn't happening. It's past time since it's been ready.
     
  4. EJC83

    EJC83 Well-Known Member Full Member

    2,031
    2,603
    Jan 20, 2019
    Oh man, what the hell were you talking about back there? I just state facts.

    Joshua edges it for me, he has more to his game and is just as capable of producing that big shot should the opportunity arise.
     
  5. Ilesey

    Ilesey ~ Full Member

    36,733
    1,137
    Jul 22, 2004
    Joshua is just more polished and I think his level of skill is enough to see him avoid anything too dangerous from Wilder and land his own forcing the fight his way.

    I actually think he stops Wilder but it would be edge of your seat stuff the whole way.
     
    Gatekeeper likes this.
  6. Degale

    Degale Member Full Member

    365
    294
    Nov 24, 2013
    Joshua beats Wilder early .

    Breazele is terrible.
     
  7. Twentyman

    Twentyman John Fury’s nut sack.... Full Member

    6,743
    13,052
    Apr 20, 2016
    Yes, but it still took Joshua 20 odd mins to dispatch of him.

    The KO could come at any time but I think both fighters would be tentative about throwing anything meaningful for a few rounds for fear of each other’s ability to end the fight quickly. I think Wilder was so wary of Ortiz’s power that he didn’t throw anything meaningful for the first four rounds.
     
  8. Connews

    Connews New Member Full Member

    9
    13
    Nov 22, 2014
    Whilst that is true, it’s worth nothing that was only Joshua’s 16th fight and it was very one sided throughout.
     
    Twentyman likes this.
  9. emallini

    emallini Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

    11,288
    2,500
    Mar 16, 2008
    Such a shame this ain't happening
     
  10. emallini

    emallini Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

    11,288
    2,500
    Mar 16, 2008
    Joshua uses a high guard to pick off punches when he is in range which makes me worry for him in this fight. I could see Wilder sneaking that right through the middle.
     
  11. Tankatron

    Tankatron Well-Known Member Full Member

    2,729
    3,661
    Jun 1, 2014
    I would consider offering a potential opponent 100 million dollars, pushing for the fight somewhat, especially when you consider that Wilder still brings very little financially or commercially to the table in comparison to Joshua. The viewing figures and fight attendance figures for the Wilder vs DB fight were still poor for someone being offered that kind of deal.
     
  12. Tankatron

    Tankatron Well-Known Member Full Member

    2,729
    3,661
    Jun 1, 2014
    A lot of opinion from the Wilder supporters seems to imply that Joshua will likely stand still in fear of the right hand, will make no effort to engage himself, have no movement or defence and will just take his ass whooping like a good little boy.

    Absolute bollocks I say, no one is winning this fight easily and without having a few dodgy moments prior to pulling off the win. I favour Joshua to win by KO in the first half of the fight but, I am fully aware of the danger Wilder possesses, unlike too many other irrational fan bois on here. They could fight 10 times and as already stated, Wilder would win a few times but Joshua would ultimately come out the winner.

    There's also the age factor to consider. Joshua isn't even 30 yet, while Wilder is 34 in a few months. That tells me that out of the 2, Joshua will continue to improve, while Wilder could very well decline. It only takes the tiniest drop in reflexes for that fight ending punch to land with more likelihood and that is again why I favour AJ.
     
    Momus and Gatekeeper like this.
  13. Twentyman

    Twentyman John Fury’s nut sack.... Full Member

    6,743
    13,052
    Apr 20, 2016
    I don’t think anyone has said that in the first paragraph, mate.
     
  14. Unforgiven

    Unforgiven Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

    53,635
    13,826
    Nov 24, 2005
    Joshua should beat Wilder, probably early.
    I don't think Wilder's much better than a 41 year old Wlad, to be honest.
    Wilder has one hell of a puncher's chance though. Because Joshua is not brilliant defensively. I'd give Wilder about 30% chance of KOing Joshua. I'd give Joshua at least 60% of KOing Wilder. The 10% it goes the distance, probably Joshua's way.
    All guess work.

    The Breazeale win hasn't altered my opinion even a small bit.
    Breazeale was always crap ...... and we all knew Wilder could punch ..... so what ?
     
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
    Scissors likes this.
  15. Bonavena25

    Bonavena25 Vamos! Full Member

    4,778
    1
    Nov 2, 2007
    As I said, Wilder would've pulverised Joshua.

    Shame it won't happen now. Joshua will know to stay well away.