After Wladimir Klitschko fights 5 more times, where will this leave him in the ATG?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by SmokinJoe10, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    It not only depends on who he fights in those five matches, but how well those guys do AFTER they fight Wlad.

Holmes was ridiculed for facing guys like Weaver, Witherspoon, Bonecrusher, etc. when he fought them. But, when they all won titles later, people looked back on those wins as much more meaningful than they were viewed at the time.

Same with Lennox Lewis. Vitali's run after losing to Lewis helped Lennox from a historical perspective. Had Tua managed to win a title, or if Golota had won a title, it would've boosted Lewis even more.

If Wlad fights Fury and Joshua and beats them ... and they become top champs later, that will boost Wlad's reputation far more than knocking over guys who didn't amount to anything after losing to him.

That's why Wlad should face guys who "may" be top fighters later. I know he wants to unify with Wilder. And I know Glazkov is a mandatory (but Czar isn't going anywhere.)

In addition to Fury, Wlad should face Joshua and Parker (even if they are green). All three could be champs down the road and hold the belts for a while.

These five fights should be viewed by him as legacy-building time.

Even if he loses to one of the young guns, it's better to lose to a guy who could go on to a long, successful career (like Joe Louis against Marciano) than someone who will disappear quickly.

2. shanahan14

shanahan14 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Jul 5, 2011
    He is the most dominant HW champ in history. Not saying he is the greatest ever but he is up there. You cannot deny his reign.

As for the "bad era" argument. What defines an era? He has been dominating since like 04 or 05. I don't really understand that knock on him. And you can never retire at the right time because there is always someone up and coming.

3. yesihavearm2

yesihavearm2 ESB Chinchecker Full Member

May 30, 2008
    Longest doesn't mean greatest as you say, by that logic Sven Ottke is one of the best champs ever...

I gotta say it's between him and Ruiz for most boring HW champ in history, jab jab hold, or in the case of the Povetkin fight jab hold hold hold.

I'm not even sure what his career best wins are, Byrd? Thompson? Povetkin? Peter?

Lewis would have knocked this robot into oblivion, just as Corrie Sanders did. Oh wait, Wlad didn't want anything to do with a rematch and got his brother to do his work for him instead.

4. The Long Count

The Long Count Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 8, 2013
    He's already an ATG. People need to stop moving the goal post further away from him everytime he announces that he is going to continue fighting. There is a thread on here from 2007 asking how many fights more before he is ATG. Then in 2011 if beats Haye he's an ATG. It's 2015 now and it's if he wins his next 5 he'll be ATG. He's already there. It's just a matter now of where in the top 5.

5. andrewa1

andrewa1 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Apr 8, 2013
    If he wins them all, becomes unified along the way, and pushes through for 2 more successful defenses after that (which he probably would at that point), then he'll break Joe Louis's record and will have as good a claim at GOAT as anyone. Particularly if one of his victims goes on to be a fairly dominant champ in their own right after Wlad leaves.

6. mirkofilipovic

mirkofilipovic ESB Management Full Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Sven was not the best fighter around his weight class, poor logic.

7. yesihavearm2

May 30, 2008
    LOL so your basing his claim on being the GOAT on the hopes that some of his future wins turn out to be good? :rofl:rofl

Tell me something, what wins does Wlad have that makes him deserving over the number 1 BEST EVER HW spot? Which elite opponents?

Can't wait for this...

8. RazorbackBoxing

RazorbackBoxing Active Member Full Member

Apr 15, 2015
  9. andrewa1

andrewa1 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Uhm, I think I already spelled out the logic quite clearly. Your counterpost doesn't really make sense, but then I would expect that of someone like you. Wlad must have really hurt you, didn't he?

Seriously, though, I don't really get how people get so loaded up on hate toward a fighter they are completely irrational. Personally, I like Vitali and Lennox better than Wlad, and right now I only have Wlad around 8 or 9 ATG, but objectively, if he retires, 1. having unified, 2 on top, 3breaking Louis's consecutive defense record and 4 shattering the overall defense record, and especially 5 if one of his victims establishes themselves as an atg in their own right, there's really just no logic that would not have him in the argument as GOAT. I'm not even saying that I'm confident he'll do that, I'd put it at 50/50. But if he does, only completely irrational haters will still spout off meaningless soundbites like "Brewster!" and "era", but those soundbites are only soundbites, not particularly rational critiques of his overall greatness.

Also, "poor era" is an entirely subjective and unprovable claim. Of course it looks poor, Wlad's been dominating it moron!

10. RazorbackBoxing

RazorbackBoxing Active Member Full Member

Apr 15, 2015
    Lewis would have got one punch ko'd, again. I know lewis dominated Sanders but...... oh wait, he ducked him.

Whats lewis's best wim? Shot tyson? Ancient holyfield? Morrisson?

11. SmokinJoe10

SmokinJoe10 Guest

OP here guys, let's not go over the top with these Top 3 or GOAT #1 rankings. If he wins all 5 bouts, he'll be in the Top 10 ATG, his boxing style isn't good/exciting enough to put him in the Top 3 or GOAT, when I said ATG rankings, I mean take everything into account, not just the length of his title reign, and this is a weaker HW period that he's been boxing in compared to the Ali era for example.

12. yesihavearm2

May 30, 2008
    Yeah because Lewis would have had a problem with Sanders...LMAO :rofl:rofl:rofl:patsch:patsch:patsch

And Lewis avenged his loss to Rahman immediately without hesitation and gave one of the greatest knockouts in the history of the HW division. Case closed.

Wlad didn't even have the stones to rematch Sanders because he knows it would have been the same result, his Glass Jaw would be getting SMASHED once again. Instead he got big brother Vitali to do his dirty work for him, pathetic really. Talk about ducks LOL.

Wlad isnt even close to Lewis in the all time rankings, Lewis would have beaten him, Lewis resume is better, Lewis H2H other heavyweights better. He wins, on everything.

Next.

13. SmokinJoe10

SmokinJoe10 Guest

Remember all this is IF he beats all those guys, Fury, Wilder, AJ etc. And I see AJ winning the bout vs Wlad if it's in late 2016 early 2017, that's why I said in the OP how will it affect his legacy/ATG ranking if Wlad loses 1 or 2 of the bouts. It's going to be incredibly hard to win all 5, but if he does top 10 is fair I'd say, because there have been many great heavyweight's since the 1900's.

14. mirkofilipovic

mirkofilipovic ESB Management Full Member

Jan 7, 2014
    :rofl

15. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    This argument is no longer valid. He has dominated for so long that he had found good competition. Povetkin, Haye, Ibragimov, Chagaev and Byrd would have been contenders in any era. there are also a number of others that are big and good like few others in the past- Thompson, Pulev, McCline.

I would say top 5-7.