ahh..crap..fedor signed a $5,000,000 contract with heros?

Discussion in 'MMA Forum' started by boxingcar, Aug 18, 2007.

1. achillesthegreat

achillesthegreat FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    It wasn't an insult, its telling it like it is.

Not fighting the absolute best means your legacy will suffer and you will not find out your true worth by maximising your potential. So yes, it is fact.

I find it hard to believe Fedor would be getting one million per fight from the UFC especially against lesser opposition. I'm sure he'll get sponsorship, percentage of the gate etc so he'll end up with more in K1.

Fedor is proven, I give him respect for wanting to help his country but historically he may suffer. Thats the way it is.

2. nfc90210

nfc90210 Active Member Full Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Yeah, but Fedor does give a **** about combat sambo.

That's all that matters.

Yeah it is. I mean, the fact that the majority of western MMA fans won't speak of Fedor, in thirty years, in awed tones is sad.

That said Fedor owes us nothing.

3. AJAX

AJAX war sonnen! Full Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Let's be honest.... go to UFC 74 and to a poll in the crowd and I'll bet you only about 10% of the crowd even knows who he is.

4. ufoalf

ufoalf Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Are you even reading what im saying or are you just talking? You keep talking about legacy and **** which is not what i was talking about and questioning ur knowledge. Plus, what you're saying about legacy is opinion and nothing more even though i partly agree with it.

Which part of "UFC offer was the most lucrative" do u not understand? I REALLY think you're just not reading what i've said.

5. scurlaruntings

scurlaruntings ESB 2002 Club Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Thats the good ole UFC for ya!:nut

6. mantis_boxing

mantis_boxing Hail to the Thief... Full Member

Sep 1, 2005
    If even.

7. achillesthegreat

Jul 21, 2004
    Then why did you say I don't have a clue. Why are you assuming I didn't read your post or I don't know the situation. Admittingly I didnt know to the degree you outlined but I did know he wanted to fight in Sambo comps, fight in Russia, some random points like that.

Is it set in stone that the UFC offer was more lucrative? I doubt it. All parties involved are being rather vague. 5 mil basic from K1 is better than any basic a fighter has got in the UFC.

Fedor beating greater fighters makes his legacy greater - its not opinion, its fact.

8. ufoalf

Jan 18, 2007

Everything I've said points exactly against this point in particular. Everything i said was the only "facts" that were presented to us from either side. Quoting Fedors menager Finkelstein "...even though UFC's offer is the most lucrative they are not flexible in their negotiations."

You also said that this will hurt his legacy. It's not a fact. As a matter of fact its a pretty bs statement. It might not make it greater but the only way to hurt it is for him to lose(convincingly) to nobodies who got beat by nobodies.

9. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    In this case, I'd have to agree with achilles about the resume. Fighters like Roy Jones and even Dempsey are often criticized for not facing the opposition that they could have--while I generally prefer to look at who a fighter beat rather than who he ducked, the public generally does not.

More importantly--Fedor's resume will be hurt in a relative sense compared to the fighters who come after him. His inability to fight in the UFC (for whatever reason) will leave him remembered as only the "best of the beltholders" before a true unified champion emerges. Because unfortunately, that's exactly what he will be.

10. ufoalf

Jan 18, 2007
    Relative sense isn't exactly legacy than. It's what he has done. It will always stay the same and NO ONE can take that away from him. Yes, if he doesn't join UFC and beat the best of UFC such as Couture, Gonzaga, and Sylvia his legacy is not going to continue growing. Ducking is a VERY cruel word in this case. I highly doubt Fedor ducked anyone seeing how he fought top competition. Barnett's case was just that Barnett always lost the fight to fight Fedor.

RJJ's case is different than Fedor's because IBF WBC etc are not paralelle to UFC, Pride, Hero's etc.

Plus, this is matter of opinion. Besides you are straying away from the argument i originally had with achilles just like he did :bart.

11. achillesthegreat

Jul 21, 2004
    Fair enough.

You are horribly wrong about his legacy though.

12. ufoalf

Jan 18, 2007
    No, im of different opinion about it. There's isn't wrong or right until 30-40 years later when he's remembered. Then we'll see.