AJ is only interested in becoming the undisputed champ now

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Dec 10, 2019.

1. VG_Addict

VG_Addict Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 13, 2012
    What exactly is wrong with that? He'd be the first undisputed champion since Lewis.

2. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    AJ dropped Ruiz and then got caught, not landing anything hard after that, in the rematch he was mainly landing jabs here and there, he threw far more punches against lesser opposition, plus he didn`t knock Parker out in the UK because again it was a cagey fight against an oppoent who was better than he previous opponents aside from the weak chinned Wlad.

3. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Nothing, it`s just a shift in mindset, he`s given up on Wilder unless he gives him a shot while he`s still champ and don`t forget Wilder is 35, AJ might have figured when all is said and done and he gets his unfication bout Wilder won`t even be around.

4. Mr Icaman

Mr Icaman 32-0 WBC Champ, Ring + Lineal HW Champ Full Member

Aug 31, 2015
    They all say it but they don;t seem to do much about it.

Personally I hope Usyk does it because we know he is the only one who really challenges himself..

The other 3 want the decks stacked in their favour before doing anything...

5. JackSilver

JackSilver Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Nope, He would be the first to hold all the 4 belts.

6. Paul1970

Paul1970 New Member Full Member

Nov 24, 2019
    You’r right mate both camps keep blaming the other one so we don’t know who is telling the truth . In theory they have all made money fighting bums in the past so now it’s about time they all got it together regardless of the millions what they will make . To say that only one fight has been made out of the big 3 is shameful

7. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    The WBO wasn`t a respected governing body during the 90`s.

8. JackSilver

Jun 24, 2017
    List of 90s WBO champions and fighters who fought for it include Bowe, Vitali, Foreman, Mercer, Moorer and Morrison. No worse then some of the other organisations champs like Bruno, Seldon and McCall.

9. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Yes but the title was not respected as much back then so Lewis didn`t bother with it, Bowe was pretty past it as WBO champ, Vitali was unknown and beat the glass chinned Hide to win that title, Foreman wasn`t considered the best heavyweight in the world when he won the WBO title, Mercer wasn`t really that good and wasn`t considered a top 5 heavy when he won the WBO title after getting hjis ears boxed off by Tommy before Knocking him out, Moorer wasn`t that great while he was WBO champ and didn`t beat anyone that great to win it and Morrison was considered unproven when he won the WBO title, plus he was exposed in each loss he had, none of them were considered the main champ while they held the WBO belt, that santioning body grew in stature in the years that followed.

10. JackSilver

Jun 24, 2017
    Stop with all the excuses. The WBO just as valid as all the other alphabet belts or should I say just as worthless as the other 3 but the fact that Lewis never held it doesn’t mean everyone has to pretend that it never existed when he was fighting.

The fact remains that if Joshua beats Wilder or the other way round then the winner will be the first man ever to hold all 4 belts. Not even you with your ant logic can say that is not 100% fact. Whether you think that it’s a worthless achievement or not is besides the point.

11. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    I seriously didn`t know the WBO was a respected organisation during the 90`s, the first I heard of the WBO was in 1989 when Hearns was the super middle champ, he vacated that belt and Chris Eubank beat Michael Watson for the belt, he was the only respected WBO champ at that stage, the best fighters at that time all fought for the established governing bodies, I would have thought you would have known that.

12. LANCE99

LANCE99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 11, 2016
    This 'feat' of holding the four belts, would only apply to the current era and perhaps as far as the mid 2000's. While some good fighters have held WBO titles, the org was not seen as legitimate, as whole. Their rankings were terrible, and they wouldn't allow for unification, for the most part. You could barely hold a ranking in any other org if you held a WBO title.

Would having 4 major belts mean more than when Lewis only held the three? Hell no... apples and oranges based on the difference of respected organizations (not belts, organization) available at the time.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    mark ant likes this.
  13. jaytxxl

jaytxxl Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 1, 2010
    In all fairness as an American and big Wilder fan, I Eddie Hearn sold AJ short when he said AJ brought British HW boxing back.. In all honesty AJ brought big attention & money back to the HW division as a whole.. Without AJ Wilder doesn’t get 20 millions to face Breazeale and Ortiz as it was the DAZN meeting that raised his value to PBC.. Same for Fury and his Top Rank deal as they wanted a piece of the HW pie..

It is for these reasons that I really believe AJ vs Wilder hasn’t happened.. John Skipper has already publicly admitted that DAZN dropped the ball in the meeting with Wilder which leads me to believe what’s being reported in the media is not all the way true.. If Saudi’s Arabia paid $100 million for AJ vs Ruiz can you imagine what the site fee cost for AJ vs Wilder is Wilder KOs Fury.. Mayweather vs Pac already laid out the blueprint which was great for them but bad for us fans and I honestly believe that’s what we have on our hands now..

If you’re have a business interest in either guys career then that fight might do more than 2 million in the UK at $30 and 1.5 plus in the US at $80

mark ant likes this.
  14. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016

I've no doubt A J wants the WBC belt, but I don't believe he wants to fight Wilder to get it. He'll fight old Pulev and tens of thousands of drunk Brits will cheer as the cash rolls in. Can't see him fighting Usyk after that though, cash cow could be endangered.

15. Richmondpete

Richmondpete Real fighters do road work Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Ajs soft ass won't even speak wilders name