AJ makes it clear he wants to fight Wilder on April 13

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Smokin' Joe ⭐, Dec 13, 2018.

1. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Is this the interview where he said he recognises the IBF, WBC, WBA, WBO AND the IBO but not lineal!?

Hearn thought Fury won, so it's odd that they're supposedly chasing the loser of that fight in his eyes. Wish they'd stop pretending it's going to be anyone other than Whyte in April though, it's so nauseating.

cole27 and CutThroatFade like this.
  2. djfonti

djfonti Active Member Full Member

Jun 25, 2005
    Fury getting that WBC strap is a nightmare for them. It's now a legit possibility.
    Clearly they're ramping up the pressure to get there first.

If they think Wilder and Finkel are bad then they won't know what's hit them trying to negotiate with Warren and a bunch of pikeys. Fury will have the public on his side too (to an extent)

cole27 and Holler like this.
  3. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    There's a few different versions of what happened depending on what interview you watch, Fury's story about their sparring hasn't been consistent and over the years and when he says Joshua beat him up for 3 rounds I think he's being disingenuious. The interview I'm citing was years ago before Joshua was the star he is now, so I take that to be the more truthful account of the sparring.

4. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018
    They stand to make more money fighting Wilder and then Fury than the other way round. I think it's also lower risk. It's the logical fight to go for if your EH.

5. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Joshua and Hearn didn't seem to want it before , but I think thats changed now. The fight is there for Wilder in April and I think he should take it.
    If Joshua beats him , it sets up a massive historical fight with Fury for every belt on home soil.

If he doesn't fight AJ , he will rematch Fury so i suppose its a win-win situation for the fans regardless.

6. Holler

Mar 12, 2018
    Ironically Wilder's poor performance has made him the most desirable opponent in hw boxing. Fury knows if he can take the WBC belt he will be in a far stronger position in any AJ negotiation.

7. anjawnaymiz

anjawnaymiz Can we get Ivan Dychko some momentum Full Member

Sep 6, 2008
    AJ needs to get either wilder or fury in the ring with him next before they get a rematch sorted. That way he has 2 big title fights, no point in him facing the loser of the wilder fury rematch is there really

8. PaddyGarcia

Feb 13, 2014
    I'm still down as **** to see that fight. I think the success of Wilder-Fury is really going to force Hearn's hand in some ways too. They can shout they want this fight all they want but there's a lot of demand for that rematch now which is not good for Hearn.

9. Holler

Mar 12, 2018
    Agreed, but it's good news for Wilder. Now he has a genuine choice and good reasons to take either fight. Hearn is offering a percentage split and a us rematch. That may put the onus on Frank to give Wilders team a reason to take the rematch.

The fans benefit as any of the big three fighting each other should be epic. I'd sooner see AJ vs Wilder and then Fury face the winner because AJ Fury is going to be epic whatever happens but if Fury beats Wilder again and takes his strap we may never see Joshua V Wilder, which would be a pity.

kirk likes this.
  10. kostya by ko

kostya by ko Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Yeh, I completely agree. Wilder, then Fury ... and no doubt a Wilder-Fury rematch is there at some stage.

This is a real 'bird in the hand' for Joshua. Miss this window and it's big two fights that could just fly away with a serious injury or an unexpected loss.

I suppose he could always fight Pulev or rematch Whyte instead.

11. PaddyGarcia

Feb 13, 2014
    Correct.

I would have thought they'd push for Fury first (as in Hearn) as the more active and fitter he gets, the bigger a hurdle he becomes for AJ. Style wise I think he's an absolute nightmare for...well, anyone actually.

12. Holler

Mar 12, 2018
    AJ vs Fury will be a reliable domestic banker whatever happens. Even if AJ loses his belts to wilder the British public will still break records to watch those two duke it out for British bragging rights if nothing else.

However if it's post 2 successful wilder fights it could be a global event and far more lucrative. Plus should AJ hold all the belts he moves up an earning level in my view. So for me if I make maximising potential revenue the goal I go for wilder first.

13. vast

vast Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Blah Blah Blah. Serious are you....? Then be a man and fight with a purse of 50%-50%. Otherwise, stuff it.

14. bailey

bailey VIP Member Full Member

Dec 11, 2009
    I think many boxers talk about themselves in the third person

15. puncherschance

puncherschance Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 3, 2012
    I think fury would give Joshua fits. Joshua has a punchers chance against Wilder.