AJ/Ruiz II does 1.6 million PPV buys in UK, breaks record

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Rikicortz, Dec 9, 2019.

1. sniffmybadger

sniffmybadger Relationships are not my forte Full Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Who the hell would want to live in Boston?

2. Bigdog2002

Bigdog2002 Active Member Full Member

Oct 19, 2018
    So Anthony vs Ruiz 2
    $33 dolllar x 1.6 million =52.8 million generated!!!

Ortiz vs wilder 2
    $75 dollars x 2,750 oh wilder friends and families that bought it I’m certain Joshua triumphs this one!

and for those of you that will cry about the numbers for wilder!!! There is a reason Fox has not confirmed any numbers!!! Because they were embarrassing low.

wilder beats Joshua but has been advised wrong and losing out in life changing and generational wealth!

3. Puroresu_Fan

Puroresu_Fan Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Defiently helped DAZN who said even though the fight was in the afternoon they did big numbers in the West Coast.

Ph33rknot likes this.
  4. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi The Right Honourable Lord President of the Council Full Member

May 29, 2007
    Of course neither Fury or Wilder will get a 50:50 split with AJ. They don’t deserve it. When you are not the A side you take a lower percentage. When you win you can become theA side and get a bigger share. Simple economics.

UKboxingfan likes this.
  5. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    The PPVs are cheaper in the UK but AJ earned more as a challenger in one fight than Bootleg Dorticos has earned his entire career.

I won't even compare their respective entire career earnings because that would just be hideously cruel. Perhaps even downright evil.

And let's not forget that even in Tuscaloosa no one had heard of Bootleg Dorticos until the suicidal drug-ravaged inactive muscle atrophied 40% shell of Tyson Fury used his gift of the gab, charisma, salesman skills and fame to drag Bootleg Dorticos out of the shadows of obscurity to make him relatively well known among the hardest of hardcore fans in his own country. Fact is Bootleg Dorticos would still be toiling away in obscurity and wearing hand-me-downs and eating out of bins if not for The Gypsy King and don't ever forget that.

Mr Icaman, Cally, Socklicker and 2 others like this.
  6. AdamT

AdamT Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 18, 2019
    Boxing fans should not boast about ppv numbers as proof who is top dog

While the ufc don't pay top dollar, Conor and Khabib are much bigger than any current boxer

Conor fights an old washed up Cerrone in Jan 18th and I bet my testicles it sells far more ppv than any boxing event since Floyd

Khabib v Ferguson will also kill any boxing fight that's made

I love boxing more despite my av (khabib and Fury are my two favourite fighters), but it appears mma is really swallowing it in the states

Instead of laughing at Wilder, you should want a succesfull american

As much as I dislike matchroom, I acknowledge the great job they have done with Aj

He is a star in the uk

7. Ph33rknot

Ph33rknot Momento mori Full Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Your crazy Connor v Kabib did 1.65 mil and they where the two best fighters at the time Canelo vs Chavez did 1.3 and that was a fight vs a Chavez that hasn't fought in three years

8. Puroresu_Fan

Apr 6, 2016
    I agree with this, I think it's more frustrating that Wilder ain't a bigger draw. On paper he should be bigger but he never had that break out win. You look at the last huge US HW draw in Tyson and with him he was destroying everyone but then won the title from Berbick in style.

Wilder never had that. He beat Stiverne. There was no passing of the torch with the Wilder.

AdamT likes this.
  9. AdamT

Sep 18, 2019
    He was carried hard at the beginning

If Wilder or Fury wins a barnstormer? Then a superfight with Aj can be made

Imo that fight would make way more in Vegas than the uk

10. AdamT

Sep 18, 2019
    Conor v Khabib did 2.4 million buys

Conor v Nate 1&2 done 1.6million plus

Canelo had to wait until diaz v masvidal finished their fight before going up against kovalev

I don't like Conor, but he is way more popular than Canelo

11. Puroresu_Fan

Apr 6, 2016
    If Wilder knocks out Fury then yep that's a huge Vegas fight.

Don't know how they would work that one out as PPV is the money but DAZN would want it to drive subscriptions.

AdamT likes this.
  12. Puroresu_Fan

Apr 6, 2016
    Spence v Crawford done right would be big but thats going to take far too long to get made. PBC are milking all the in-house fights.

13. Ph33rknot

Ph33rknot Momento mori Full Member

Mar 5, 2012
    That's still nothing for what would be the mma equivalent of prime may vs pac

14. AdamT

Sep 18, 2019
    I have no idea bud

I do think DAZN will want an extra charge for it

How much is Dazn subscription?

I have BT sport and for popular boxing/mma fights they put it on ppv, as do sky

Would DAZN not try something similar??

15. Puroresu_Fan

Apr 6, 2016
    $100 for 12 months. The difficult is it goes directly against what their business model is and it would be a complete kick in the face to subscribers.

Maybe they would agree on 1 fight on fox/showtime PPV and a rematch on DAZN or vice versa

AdamT likes this.