AJ v Klitschko 2....

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by tdf1974, Feb 1, 2019.

1. TonyHayers

TonyHayers Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 1, 2018
    Seems to be an enormously disproportionate amount of vitriol to this fight though. Very odd.

Miller is close to being the best option who isn't a former Joshua victim or available. As I have said before:

Wilder, Fury, Ortiz, Pulev: signed up to other fights

Whyte, Povetkin, Parker, Breazeale, Takam: already beaten

Klitschko: retired

So who should it be? Usyk hasn't had a fight at heavyweight yet. Your other options are the likes of Kownacki, Hammer, Kuzmin, Chisora.

2. TonyHayers

Nov 1, 2018
    Strange you use Fury's performance in the fight to justify why he got the fight.

As I said earlier Fury had beaten nobody better than Dereck Chisora. When they first fought both were 14-0 and obviously not at world level. Second time they fought Chisora had been well beaten by Vitali and destroyed by Haye.

Beyond that, he'd fought an old, small, light hitting cruiserweight in Cunningham. A journeyman in Abell. Hammer who'd been beaten by Bidenko and knocked out by Wach. And that was literally everyone that he'd fought in over two and a half years.

Now, please note. I'm not saying Fury didn't win, didn't deserve to win, didn't confirm he's an elite heavyweight and so on. All I'm saying, is that fighting an old, light hitting, small cruiserweight, a fat journeyman, a guy you've beaten and so has everyone else when he stepped up, and Hammer equates to someone deserving a crack, then is Miller that different?

Wach? Knocked out Hammer.
    Duhaupas? Good enough to beat the likes of Helenius and Charr, not good enough for Wilder and Povetkin.
    Adamek? An old, light hitting, small cruiserweight I hear you say? Who also beat Cunningham?
    Dinu? Paper record. Better or worse than Abell? Who knows.

3. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    A fight with Pulev or Ortiz could have been sorted a few months ago. They’re tied up now but they wasn’t then. AJ’s team absolutely banked on Wilder knocking out Fury, without a doubt. They sat and waited for that. Now they’re fighting a pudding who doesn’t deserve a shot and I don’t care what you say. I’m a boxing fan and i’m telling you straight that the fight is very underwhelming. 5 months without announcing your next fight...could be a 8-9 months gap from his last fight at this rate. He’s got 3 belts and is number 1, but fighting Miller is p**s poor. I get the commercial opportunity but stop trying to justify that Miller is a viable opponent, it’s simply not.

Should have been Whyte, Pulev or Ortiz. I hope he steps back up after he’s bingo’d Miller.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Unforgiven and velagod like this.
  4. TonyHayers

Nov 1, 2018
    Surely as a boxing fan you'd rather see promoters try to arrange the biggest fights that you want to see, even if they ultimately can't make them happen, rather than deliver immediate and somewhat underwhelming fights without making that attempt?

How would you have reacted if the week after Pulev had beaten Hughie Hearn announced that Pulev was fighting Joshua in April? Be honest here. Would it have been 'wow, a feather-fisted old man coming off a couple of thrillers against Hughie, Kingpin and Sam Peter's ghost. Get me that red button now!'

Or would it have been a rather underwhelming response owing to the fact that, really, we all know what was going to happen, and it wasn't that Pulev was going to beat him? And, that it may have been a case of another easy Joshua opponent, thus ruling out any chance of a Wilder or Fury fight? Would you have been one of those saying that yet again Joshua was fighting at home and needed to prove himself away from home?

I genuinely don't know who'd I'd make favourite between Pulev and Miller to be honest.

5. Hattonmad

Hattonmad Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Blah, blah, blah! Stop wasting your time with this rubbish Hayers. It's not even worth a reply. A poor attempt at a troll.

Fury deserved his shot after winning two eliminators and becomimg mandatory challenger. That's how the game works. Resume and situation incomparable to Miller's gift shot.

6. carlingeight

carlingeight Active Member Full Member

May 15, 2016
    Miller is the definition of a cherry-pick for Joshua. Don't see how any boxing fan could think otherwise.

But Wilder and Fury look to be having a rematch, and Joshua has already beaten most of the other top contenders.

One cherry-pick under these circumstances isn't too bad, as long as they don't make a habit of it.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  7. TonyHayers

Nov 1, 2018
    I'm not trolling.

I don't really see that much difference between Cunningham, Abell, Chisora and Hammer and Wach, Duhaupas, Adamek and Dinu. Two journeymen, two old cruisers, and two European level never going to be world champion gatekeeper types.

You hate to admit it, but it's really, really not that different is it?

8. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Miller is ranked 6th with boxrec. AJ is 1, 2 and 3 are fighting each other, Joshua has already beaten 4 and 5. So if you believe the rankings this is the best opponent available bar guys that've already had their shot.

Scissors, TonyHayers and Patter983 like this.
  9. Twentyman

Apr 20, 2016
    Pulev jabs Miller to a UD. Miller would keep marching forwards, Pulev would jab then throw a straight right then clinch. I think Chisora v Miller would be a great fight, that’s the level I believe Miller operates at.

I would have moaned about a AJ v Pulev/Ortiz fight before Wilder v Fury 1, you’re right. However, Pulev vs Helenius only recently got announced, so has Ortiz’s with Hammer. They’ve had the time to make them fights since it’s become clear that Wilder’s ignoring calls etc. It’s not like they've not had them options to make a fight with Pulev, Ortiz, Whyte these past 7-8 weeks.

I’m glad he’s finally leaving the comfort of the U.K. it’s just a shame it’s a gimme.

You know what annoys me on here? I actually enjoy watching Anthony Joshua. I buy the fights he’s involved in or watch them in the pub. I’ve praised him on here and I feel his boxing skills are massively underrated. Yet, I can’t criticise him without a ‘super fan’ defending him in a way like they’re his missus or something. It’s extreme. It doesn’t have to be Fury or Joshua, you can like both fighters.

If Fury fought Charr, Miller, Jennings as a champion then I would be slating him, too & that’s the truth.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    cfckieran and Smudge_ like this.
  10. Hattonmad

Jan 5, 2009
    Why would I admit to something that's not even close to being true? It's just another bat sh*t crazy Tony Hayers post to go with the dozens of others.

cfckieran likes this.
  11. TonyHayers

Nov 1, 2018
    Tell me why it's 'not even close to being true.'

I mean, compare them. Wach beat Hammer. Adamek beat Cunningham twice and both are small ex-cruiserweights. Abell is a journeyman and Dinu might be slightly better but it's broadly hard to tell given his opposition.

Unless you think Chisora is utterly world class I don't see how you can say it's 'not even close to being true.' This is the sort of thing that makes you look like a fanboy. The obvious thing would be to say 'it's not great, in fact there's little difference, but it happens.' Instead you have to pretend, if only to yourself, that one is vastly different to the other when they're so obviously comparable. Even their respective rankings are comparable.

12. Hattonmad

Jan 5, 2009
    Can't believe I'm doing this but hey, I'm off work for the week and the kids are in school so why not. Making you look like even more of a thick than you already do yourself is fun!

- Hammer was aged 21, and Wach 30, when they fought. Using that result to compare records nine years later is ridiculous. Hammer was 26 when Fury beat him and in the form of his career. Wach was 37 when Miller beat him, well past his best, losing his next fight. The chap is finished and Miller fed on his corpse. Fury's win over Hammer > Miller's win over Wach's corpse. Don't even mention Wladimir Klitschko's age when Fury beat him because we seen against AJ that Wlad was still top three. Fighters burn out at different ages, the evidence is in their performances and results and Wach's last two results prove he's done.

- Adamek beat Cunningham in a disputed split decision EIGHT YEARS AGO! He is so shot to pieces now it's unbelievable that he's still fighting. He's 42 years old. It was a voluntary tomato can cherry pick by Miller. It doesn't get much worse than that for a 'top ten guy'.

- Fury beat Cunningham SIX YEARS AGO in a fight that was ordered by the governing bodies as a world title eliminator. The governing bodies picked Cunningham as a fighter good enough to fight in a world title eliminator. You cannot compare that to voluntarily fighting the ghost of 42 year old Tomasz Adamek. That's pure, unadultered trolling.

Now, here's the killer blow chief. Derek Chisora is definitely not 'utter class!' However, not only is he better than any of the geriatrics on Miller's resume, he's also better than Miller himself. He's recently knocked out Takam and went life and death with Whyte. Two performances better than anything Miller has done in his career. Fury beat Chisora twice. Miller has nothing on his resume to compare to that.

You tried, you failed, goodluck!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    Unforgiven, Twentyman and cfckieran like this.
  13. TonyHayers

Nov 1, 2018
    Couple of questions.

Do you really think Steve Cunningham should have been in a heavyweight eliminator? He'd had two fights, in his whole career, at heavyweight. He had one win at heavyweight, and that was against Jason Gavern. Are those reasonable qualifications for a title eliminator? Really?

Now, you can take into account recent form at crusierweight. But that was also pretty weak, given he lost his last two fights at the weight. By the time he fought Fury, he'd only won one fight, against journeyman Jason Gavern, in more than two years!

He was also old, small, light hitting, and had proven nothing at heavyweight. This is why I don't see that much difference.

Your point about Chisora raises an interesting question. Is a fighter who has put on a better performance than another automatically better than them? At the moment Usyk for example has achieved nothing at heavyweight, whilst Whyte has beaten Parker, Chisora, Browne and took Joshua futher than anyone else had. Should I therefore dismiss Usyk's chances to beat him? Of course not. You don't know what a fighter is necessarily capable of until they step up.

14. Twentyman

Apr 20, 2016
    Not only did Fury beat a prime version of Chisora twice, he beat him the second time fighting southpaw from round 2 onwards...just because he can.

Hattonmad likes this.
  15. themaster999

themaster999 Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 7, 2015
    What's with all the Chisora bashing TonyHayers ? Leave Delboy alone. Proper old school fighter. He'd take Miller places he wouldn't be able to handle (and I don't just mean David Hayes dressing room)

I don't mind Joshua, He's done well (granted he's had every advantage behind him) what I don't like or makes me unable to support him is all the hype, Eddie Hearn, Tony Bellew screaming, Sky TV, the falseness of his media persona, Lynx Joshua, People in the street/work commenting on how great he is etc.

This fight is **** though, but what other choice do we have but pay our £20 and pretend its competitive.