AJ v Pulev looks around 800k ppv buys

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Puroresu_Fan, Dec 23, 2020.

1. hobby rider

hobby rider Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 4, 2020
    Hamilton does pay tax in the UK.

2. Puroresu_Fan

Puroresu_Fan Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 6, 2016
    It doesn't need defending as nobody needs pay it if they don't want too. I wouldn't pay £30 for a PPV.

3. BigDoofus

BigDoofus Active Member Full Member

Apr 4, 2016
    Joshua said he'd fight Wilder in the States for $50m and quickly back-pedalled.
    Ortiz was 40 years old and needed more than 6 weeks to train.
    After Fury beat Klitschko, Hearn said Joshua wasn't ready to fight for the title. Joshua boxed Martin for a title 3 and a half months later.

4. Puroresu_Fan

Puroresu_Fan Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 6, 2016
    He didn't back pedal at all. Wilder already confirmed he took less money to fight Fury than the $100 mil DAZN offered him.

Ortiz got offered his biggest payday ever. Whether he believed 6 weeks wasn't enough is his perogative but they were trying to find a replacement for Miller. The best options were Ortiz and Whyte and both fighters turned it down.

Ruiz had just as much time to prepare and took the opportunity to and guess what he changed his life. When the opportunity comes along just maybe you take it as it might not come along again.

5. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    I wouldnt say he back peddeled but his team stopped it happening at that time, I dont even see how its debatable. let's not forget AJ was signed to Showtime until it was time to make the fight.

2nd time round you have to say it was Wilders team.

BaronSamedi likes this.
  6. Mitch87

Mitch87 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Wilder turned down about half a dozen career high purse offers to fight AJ. Which included an 100m deal with him also earning twice the amount against Breazeale than he did. Wilders former manager Lou Dibella who got Wilder, Haymon and Finkel to sit down to listen to DAZNs last offer said that these 3 had no real intention of making the AJ fight.

Ortiz said he is constantly gym and "always ready" also said on social media he would be willing to step in for Miller. Ortiz bluff was called, an offfer made and he turned it down.

Fury turned down the chance of joining matchroom due to Hearns 4 fight plan for him to fight Kaufman, Bellew, Whyte and AJ . Fury replied with that wanted to fight the likes of 4 of Sefrei, Pianetta Wallin, Schwarz level guys then AJ. Hearn stated he wouldn't be able to warrant twuch poor fights.

After Fury drew with Wilder (should of been a win), Hearn offered him 40% for the AJ fight to which they turned it down.

I cant actually think of fighter with so many fighters reported to have turned down fight offers from than AJ.

Wilder - turned half dozen offers. His management clearly have no fait in him winning this fight.

Fury - Warren called 40% offer poor but then fought several guys for a lot less.

Whyte - said he didnt agree with with offered % cut for the rematch if he was to win.

Ortiz - team stated not enough time despite Ortiz actually said hes good to go.

Kownacki - turned down career high purse stating he was going in a different direction. Most liwkly wiuld have been promosied the shot at Wilder (which would have been the much easier fight) had both him and Wilder not lost to their cherry picked opponents.

Usercom likes this.
  7. nurological

May 25, 2012
    I think we all know the real reason Whyte turned it down.

8. Here's Johnny

Here's Johnny Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 18, 2015
    We live in a lovely Tory, capitalist society that’s why.

People either have no backbone to stand up for anything “it is what it is” or price of a pizza you cheap skate” which are ridiculous arguments. Or they revel in the fact that they can afford it, despite getting ripped off. As long as they can put it on Instagram to prove they’re in with the crowd and to prove they have a spare £25.... have you?

Before lockdown you could get alright seats for Frank or Eddie for £40, 60-80 in most arenas would get you a boss spec. But for some reason paying £25 to watch it on tele when you already pay over the odds to them for the subscription is fair enough for average fights.

People are ****ing weird. I’m still quite young but I’m telling you I should have been born 30 years earlier because this modern world is full of freaks.

9. nurological

May 25, 2012
    Don't worry it's still a minority but that's the target audience for PPV boxing.

Here's Johnny and kojak like this.
  10. Work the body

Work the body Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 5, 2015
    ‘If it wasn’t PPV we wouldn’t see the fight’. That’s another excuse people roll out to justify it. We would still see the fight it’s just the fighters won’t be getting completely ridiculous sums of money.

11. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    The latter sentence is what people should read, understand and stop funding obscene sums of money to puddings.

Pudding Whyte has earned around £50m and never been in a World Title Fight - Eh Day Hearn can even sell the PPV Mugths a doughnut without a hole in it these days.

These people really are suckers.

12. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    I mean its not like these guys are gonna go get day jobs if PPV cash isnt forthcoming is it??

They'd accept the fee offered

Its us as fans that make them believe they are worth more

And you know what some are worth it

But today's standards are low, lets be real

Whyte, Chisora and the like should never be heading PPV shows minus belts

13. Work the body

Work the body Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 5, 2015
    It’s like something I read in another thread on here by someone. Dave Allen was probably a couple of wins away from becoming a PPV fighter on Sky ffs. Had he beat Price and got another decent win Sky would have 100% tried it on. They were already setting it up when he headlined his own show. Think it was against Browne? People can spend their own money on whatever they like of course. But as long as the PPV buys keep rolling in they are going to keep pushing it in terms of what they can get away with. Fortunately Allen lost so we never had to suffer that one.

Gatekeeper likes this.
  14. nurological

May 25, 2012
    Had he beat price he was going to face Povetkin, I'm sure that would have been PPV.

Gatekeeper likes this.
  15. TBC-ASAP

TBC-ASAP Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 7, 2017
    From a DAZN subs basis, so for AJ alone, he fights twice and does 800k buys at £25. That is £40,000,000 and we all know the 800k will be as low as it gets.

So at £24 per month we would need 1,600,000 subscribers in the UK to cover AJ alone? Not including 300k for Whyte twice a year etc.

I get it is a global market so other countries etc will be factored in.

But does seem the £1.99 a month is wildly unsustainable?