AJ vs Usyk is next week

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by TBC-ASAP, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    True, but Bellew of all people was making Usyk walk onto basic counters. Usyk fell for that perfectly.

I know the outcome was brutal, but if Bellew can fool him, AJ can spark him.

djfonti and Bumnard_Hopkins like this.
  2. oiky

oiky Gypsy Boy Full Member

Jan 17, 2014
    No promoters seem like they can be f****d to push their own shows right now

Sorry,sorry state

velagod likes this.
  3. Mitch87

Mitch87 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 29, 2018
    I've stated for lengthy period of time that I think Usyk will win the fight. I believe AJ is Usyk toughest match up at HW though, why I'm so looking forward to it.

zulander likes this.
  4. zulander

zulander Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Its a great fight and I ssee Usyk's agility giving AJ fits, especially early.

Joushua has to be brilliant with his jab on the night, if he can control Usyk with it things become tricky for Usyk who is going to have be creative with his attack's (which he's well capable of doing) but if AJ can just sit on the jab he's not going to be burning as much fuel and that's the way I see Usyk winning. Using his movement and variety to drain AJ and then landing shots in clusters off his footwork.

But if the jab lands with regularity something bigger is coming behind it. Chrisora got to Usyk by bulling forward and being ugly. Joshua is much more correct than that but he can bring pressure, power and much better combinations and better paced than Del boy. At somepoint I just think Joshua is going to get to him. I haven't been blown away by Usyk at heavy. He looked uncomfortable early against Chisora who then predictably gassed and then he moved him around for fun but Joshua is a better fighter for all his critics than Del Boy have ever been.

It's a really intriguing match up lets hope we don't get any technical decisions on cuts or anything.

It does seem strange its not being plastered all over the web at the mo for sure

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  5. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013
    AJs star is starting to fade, that's all, out of sight, out of mind, Also, AJ failed to fight Wilder, has now failed to fight Fury and that is starting to become a problem for him, also he hasn't given Ruiz a rubber match.. he hasn't even got in the ring again with Whyte which would get most British boxing fans interested.

The British boxing public were excited about Fury Vs AJ, Hearn with his "any day now" rubbish for months and now fans feel let down, Fury and AJ are both suffering the consequences of failing to make that fight, it's now gone rather flat for both of them.

Throw in the fact I have Sky and I haven't seen on advertisement for the fight yet and normally they go around a month out from the fight.

I don't see Sky busting their nuts promoting AJ and Matchroom, sure they'll want to make money but I suspect they have an idea AJ won't renew with them and so why go all out, spend monies and potentially send costumers to DAZN?

And.. Casual fans are not that excited about Usyk, I am, I can't wait but the market they target which is the casuals only see a small heavyweight in Usyk who they have sort of heard of from somewhere (probably Bellew or Chisora).

I'm not surprised most casual fans are not buzzing for this, this is a real boxing fans type of fight, it's going to be interesting and I believe very technical, it's not going to be explosive and Hearn know she he can't sell it as such.

6. Surrix

Surrix Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2020
    It was very predictable: big name in biritish boxing, sometimes some fans even had excuses that he had been weight drained and laughable noise like this as casual british boxing fanbase noise.
    When Tony Bellew get in his smart brain that he should fight with the winner of Huck vs Briedis, he get chicken legs as lad with proper promoter and with proper passport.
    This is most important thing in pro boxing.
    He had vacated his belt in order not to get in the ring " eurobum " according to some ppl prime Briedis in the ring and to fight vs Haye: over the hill british boxing cash cow for big money.
    Congratulations with career choice and real balls he had.

When Usyk was undisputed and had also The Ring Belt, according to some fans weight drained poor lad Bellew had demanded to do fight in CW limit with all belts Usyk had on the line.
    Supposedly weight drained hero ofc cos Bellew does have PROPER PASSPORT and promoter.
    LOL. Not better than Wilder or Canelo, sorry, here.
    Bellew maybe had assumed that Usyk fights vs him for BRITISH JUDGES CARDS AND BRITISH COMMENTATORS.:D
    NOPE.

Yeah and Joshua looked like piece of crap when had been in US for a reason.
    Not all ppl here are too dumb why he then looked like boxing bag.

Casuals needs big names from proper countries.
    Feed them ppv event with Tyson vs Holyfield and Haye vs Bellew III or Whyte or Chisora with good undercard like Benn vs next no hoper and some other prospects vs no hopers and you might get cool sales.

Still, despite usual hate vs boxers from not proper countries, this might generate more money than Bellew vs Usyk and both fights Whyte vs Povetkin together with A.J vs Pulev.

If properly advertised.

Ofc not suitable, place in big game should be for boxers with Mexican, US and UK passports and proper origin& promoters/ managers.

7. Brixton Bomber

Sep 21, 2013
    Wow.

8. bladesman

bladesman Active Member Full Member

May 31, 2015
    There's little hype as normally sky put on a few shows before a ppv to hype it up.

Excited for this fight first in a long time. I am truly on the fence over.

9. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Very surprised at your loss of faith in your man - @Aydamn never conceded an inch until Whyte was heading towards the canvas.

Joshua needs to land a big one early - no point running away for 12 rounds as he cannot outbox Usyk. Then again it is a Matchroom promotion where there is numerous examples of fights where the judges appear to have made their minds up before the fights even start.

Gatekeeper likes this.
  10. aaaaa

aaaaa Ash banned Full Member

Dec 19, 2020
    Can see either a Matchroom special on the cards for Joshua after getting comprehensively outboxed or Usyk stopping a tired & fatigued Joshua late.

Glenn McKrory, channy and Jurgen like this.
  11. Mitch87

Mitch87 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Granted there have been a lot of dodgy scorecards (Ebanie Bridges being the most recent) but AJ has never benefited from biased official score cards. Unlike say Wilder against Fury in the first fight or Fury against McDermott in their first fight.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    Jurgen and Brixton Bomber like this.
  12. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    As daft as this made sound, I can't help but feel this might be similar to the Loma v Lopez fight where the smaller man let's the early rounds slip after feeling how heavy handed the bigger fighter is, and ends up chasing the fight in the last few rounds. Joshua really is a decent boxer, he's stiff but he's very meticulous. He will keep popping the jab out. To me it's Usyk who has to work the harder of the two. He's got to negotiate his way around Joshua's jab and can't risk getting chinned.

However way this pans out, Usyk gives away the first 3 rounds and I don't believe you can do that against Joshua and win on points. He will have to stop him and I don't think Joshua will walk onto one. Joshua by TKO or a 116-112 type scorecard.

13. Furious

Furious Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Has always had a stacked deck though - most notably always fighting as the home fighter.

14. Brixton Bomber

Sep 21, 2013
    When you do as many buys as he does, you don't need to travel like Fury does.

15. aaaaa

aaaaa Ash banned Full Member

Dec 19, 2020
    To be fair AJ won his belts off Charles Martin and Parker who looked like they’d won competitions to be in there. They couldn’t wait to sell the belts.

Wasn’t going to get Wilder or Klitschko defending their belt over here when they didn’t need to.