AJ with passion beats an overhyped Ruiz

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Tyson Furry, Aug 15, 2019.

1. BoxingABC1

BoxingABC1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 21, 2016
    Passion can’t replace the areas where his skills are lacking I’m afraid.

305th and neverheardofher like this.
  2. Tyson Furry

Tyson Furry Member Full Member

Nov 27, 2017
    But we’re not talking about an unproven novice. You can’t underestimate the mental side of any sport - AJ admitted his lack of passion for the first fight & boxing in general. If AJ is mentally right second time round - the wheels on the Ruiz bandwagon may start to look a little shaky - IMO

3. BoxingABC1

Sep 21, 2016
    So how did he motivate himself to punch fighters like Breazeale & Takam around a ring then?

Ruiz just has his number, it’s that simple

4. Tyson Furry

Nov 27, 2017
    Who knows - different day, different mind set. I’m just repeating what AJ told Sky - he lacked passion, & once you have that mindset and get hit you can’t start again. Thats why the rematch is so intriguing, & why, with correct preparation - including mental, I doubt it will follow the same pattern (similar to Froch Groves II). We ll see.

5. BoxingABC1

Sep 21, 2016
    I don’t see any other result other than Ruiz, just sounds like a bull**** excuse from AJ

6. Tyson Furry

Nov 27, 2017
    I hear what you’re saying - styles make fights. But whether you like it or not - there is a hierarchy in boxing based on proven ability. Yes, Ruiz is a great boxer, as was Buster Douglas on his day. But Wilder, Fury and Joshua have proven themselves over an extended period - hence why they hold the cards. Obviously, if Ruiz wins - then he ll step up to this level.

Gatekeeper likes this.
  7. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    I think Ruiz is stylistically all wrong for Joshua. I don’t think he’s overhyped at all. Of course there are fighters who wouldn’t struggle against the style that Ruiz brings ie. Fury can box the smaller men with ease. Wilder is awkward and uses his speed, power and reach to do his work so he’d deal with him too. I think Usyk would outbox him. PED Whyte would probably have a brilliant fight with him and I reckon Whyte would probably win. That’s because they’ve all had to learn to fight on the back foot with their jab at some point.

I think Joshua has always held centre of the ring and used his brilliant offence to get opponents out of there. He’s never had to learn to fight on the backfoot & Ruiz’s style exposes that. He looks incredibly uncomfortable fighting smaller, mobile men and you have to bear in mind that Ruiz as almost always been the smaller man trying to chop down a bigger man. Ruiz isn’t overawed by the presence of Joshua.

Joshua can win it by KO or by points. It’s certainly not an impossible task. He’s world class and if he loses on Dec 7th he’s still world class.

If you asked me who I thought was going to win though, I’d go with the fighter who started boxing at the age of 7 rather than the brilliant athlete who learned to box at 18.

Gatekeeper likes this.
  8. Tyson Furry

Nov 27, 2017
    But maybe you’re slightly less confident of a Ruiz victory now, than you were straight after the first fight?

9. BoxingABC1

Sep 21, 2016
    Yeah he doesn’t stand a chance
    This content is protected

10. Optimus Grime

Optimus Grime Member Full Member

Feb 12, 2014
    What fight were people watching ? AJ wasnt getting beaten, he was winning the fight. Yes Ruiz was having some success and AJ struggled with the shorter man but the fight only went in Ruiz favour when he scored the first knock down, after that AJ never (couldnt) recover. AJs own failing was rushing the finish, he was moderately comfortable and knocked down and hurt Ruiz, he rushed forward straight after thinking was there for the finish, he wasnt. The only vulnerabilities it showed was things we all knew were there to begin with - his poor fight IQ (probably due to his relatively short career), his poor punch resistance and his mentality. The only people who seem to believe AJ was completely out of his depth from the off are those people who have a strange amount personally invested in his downfall.

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  11. BoxingABC1

Sep 21, 2016
    I don’t think he really did hurt Ruiz. Looked like Ruiz’ feet were too square, he was clear eyed, on very steady legs, and if he was hurt, the punches that followed the knockdowns would’ve knocked Ruiz out

12. Optimus Grime

Optimus Grime Member Full Member

Feb 12, 2014
    I think your correct in some regards, i think he was hurt just not badly and he has good resilience. Your right certainly that the knockdown didn't hurt him too bad but again thats AJs poor ring IQ he thought he was there for the taking and he clearly wasnt.

BoxingABC1 likes this.
  13. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Just the same really. I’ve always thought Joshua is world class with that athleticism he has but I believe Ruiz has his number, stylistically. I’d be a fool to say Joshua can’t win though.

Gatekeeper and Tyson Furry like this.
  14. chico g

chico g What are you staring at Mr Trump?! hahaha! Full Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Still expecting a lighter more focused bodybuilder to stop Ruiz in the rematch. But he'll never shake that humiliation in the first fight. And I'll always have that video on youtube whenI I am depressed and need cheering up. Forever dethroned by a fat guy.

15. Accurate

Accurate Jump back, wanna kiss myself! Full Member

May 3, 2018
    I don't care what anyone says. He wasn't right that night, and actually looked like a guy in panic, trying to hold it down.

That said, I was never completely sold on AJ despite all his big wins. I expected him to be beaten before Ruiz.

If he manages to come back and beat Ruiz, that will be a huge accomplishment, but the odds are against him IMO. Stylewise Ruiz is all wrong for AJ, add in the psychology factor of having been beaten by him once already, the huge pressure on his shoulders, Aj is really up against it.

Gatekeeper likes this.