Alex Arthur News

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by elle, Sep 20, 2007.

1. elle

elle Journeywoman Full Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Alex Arthurs first defence of his interim WBO Super-Featherweight Title will take place on 15th December in Edinburgh.

No opponent has been announced yet - it won't be Joan Guzman who currently holds the full title. Time is running out for Guzman to either take on Arthur or vacate. If he decides to vacate Arthur will become the full champ.

Fellow scots Willie Limond, Kenny Anderson, Ricky Burns and Gary Young will all feature on the undercard.

Also well done to Arthur for winning the Scottish Sports Personality of the Year Award - particularly as he is probably the first boxer to have won this!

2. achillesthegreat

achillesthegreat FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Good undercard.

They shoulda put him in with Gomez.

3. Dunky McCafferty

Dunky McCafferty Boxing Junkie banned

Aug 24, 2004
    Well whoopee ****in doo.

Arthur really needs to get his finger out, cos fighting twice a year simply isnt good enough. I have moaned about Hatton & Calzaghe only fighting twice a year, so I would be a hypocrite if I didnt moan about Alex doing the same.

Its fighters lack of ring activity that is losing fans to the sport, too many british fighters simply arent fighting enough to keep fans interested anymore. Look at the old school fighters, they sometimes fought more times in 8 weeks than british fighters today fight in a whole year:-(

4. Smith

Smith Monzon-like Full Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Wheres it going to be in Edinburgh? Hoprfully down the road at the Meadowbank stadium.

Although i agree with Dunky, he needs to ****ing jog on with his plans

5. kerrminator

kerrminator Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 14, 2007
    After the setback against Gomez he really slowed his progress down and in reality he should have had one confidence building fight straight after then back to work on earning a shot at one of the titles.

He has certainly improved his defense since the Gomez fight but that was four years ago and Alex cannot be too far from the big 30 by now and in boxing years thats approaching retirement age.

It seems that boxing -or lack of it- is being dictated by the fatcats and again its us (the fans) who suffer.

Ricky Hatton only fought once in 2006 which imo was a disgrace (even worse imo was the fact it landed on my wedding day where we were at a country hotel with no Sky TV lol)

If he doesnt get a crack at a title in his next bout after this one he would be as well to hang em up :(

6. elle

elle Journeywoman Full Member

Aug 21, 2007

Yes, it will be at the Meadowbank. Tickets range from £30 - £100.

He did sustain some bad cuts against Gogoladze earlier this year but that doesn't explain his inactivity before that. Says he is planning to fight 3 or 4 times during 2008.

7. brown bomber

brown bomber 2010 Poster of the Year Full Member

Jul 1, 2006
    :happy Well in Dunky.