Alexander Povetkin vs Anthony Joshua - Who wins?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by ottyson, May 1, 2017.

Alexander Povetkin vs Anthony Joshua - Who wins?

1. Alexander Povetkin

49 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. Anthony Joshua

106 vote(s)
    68.4%
  1. GALVATRON

GALVATRON Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Oct 30, 2016
    Winning every round is a failure because you claimed Joshua is , and that's what he did ...WIN every round.

If you think boxing is about just knock outs I can't wait to hear what you think about.....

Tyson not knocking Tillis out.

Lewis unable to knock out 210 Billups .

V. Klitchko unsuccessful knocking out Byrd with 12 rounds to do it and ends up losing anyway .

Foreman's unable to knock out supposed weak chin Morrison.

Povetkin failing to Knock out Huck while cruiserweight Usyk TKOd him?

Holyfield unable to knock out Czyz out a very small cruiserweight not even a HW.

Golota unable to K.O Byrd.

Foreman unable to K.O 210 Jimmy Young.

Wlad inability to K.O Jennings.

Really if you think Joshua shouldn't be boxing or considered a good fighter BC he's BIG and should get blistering K.Os every fight , you are following the wrong sport.

As for your PED this and that ....have at it I'm here to talk boxing not super hero laboratory conspiracy theories.

Yes fighters lose rounds that's a general consensus in boxing , particularly to a decade reigning champion with hundreds of rounds under him when you only had 18 fights isn't considered illogical at all...well not including you. Lol

Your just basically circle jerking here, ignoring everything posters are telling you on here like a little kid that covers his ears and screams he's right. Lol

First it was Joshua will stand no chance against Povetkin when they meet to now he's too old and should lose. Now its on too PEDs as the main focus....I'm outta here, troll on........lmao

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  2. Luis Fernando

Luis Fernando Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 23, 2017
    Of course I was being hyperbolic with some of my exaggerated statements. I take back those hyperbole. I was just balancing the discussion out because majority seem to believe this is a mismatch in favor of Anthony Joshua and I was doing the opposite. I'll give my objective take on this matter:

Not being able to KO every opponent is not a failure. That wasn't my point! My point was that when someone claims: "Anthony Joshua is too big, powerful and strong and therefore boxers like Alexander Povetkin stands no chance at beating Anthony Joshua". This is when Anthony Joshua's size advantage is tested based on how much punch resistance Joshua's size advantage provides him and how much punching power Joshua's size advantage provides him.

If Anthony Joshua with his greater size doesn't possess greater punching power or greater punch resistance, then claiming "Joshua's opponent stands no chance of beating him because of size disadvantage" is a meaningless claim.

Alexander Povetkin with his smaller size possesses at least just as much punching power, and arguably better punch resistance. So Anthony Joshua's size advantage may not be that significant. Or maybe it is. Who knows?

In regards to performance enhancing drugs, it is you who raised that topic, not me. I personally don't wish to discuss about it but since you initially raised that topic, I simply addressed some of your points. However, if you wish to let that topic go, then so do I!

If you want to believe this is a mismatch, and Povetkin stands no chance at beating Anthony Joshua, then so be it! Just make sure that you give Anthony Joshua no credit for winning, if he wins and criticize him if he as much as loses a round to Povetkin or has difficulties winning rounds or is damaged or hurt by Povetkin's offense. You can't have it both ways!

It could very well be a mismatch in favor of Anthony Joshua! However, Alexander Povetkin has proven to be one of the top 5 heavyweights in the world based on his resume / record currently and deserves a bout against Anthony Joshua and only then will we be able to surely tell whether it would be a mismatch or not.

3. Luis Fernando

Aug 23, 2017

The fact that you needed to go through all the effort, just to convince yourself that a pudgy, chubby and a fat 6 foot 1 blown up light heavyweight has less punching power than a muscular, naturally big super heavyweight boxer resembling a body builder in Anthony Joshua just goes to show and proves how insecure some Anthony Joshua fans are and how much of a threat Alexander Povetkin poses.

The main flaw in those statistics is that it is inconclusive, since it doesn't take into consideration that not every punch is thrown with the same power. Even every power punch isn't thrown with the same amount of power.

Anthony Joshua throws nearly every punch with maximum power. Hence, he gasses out very frequently between rounds and requires time to recover and catch his second wind before he can resume.

On the other hand, Alexander Povetkin, like many of the boxers from the Soviet Bloc varies the power of his punches, the speed of his punches and the rhythm of his punches.

So Alexander Povetkin may have thrown and landed more punches, but not all of them are thrown with maximum power unlike Anthony Joshua who commits to nearly every punch with maximum power.

I highly doubt Anthony Joshua's most powerful punches are necessarily more powerful than Alexander Povetkin's.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  4. Luis Fernando

Aug 23, 2017

Johan Duhapas was training for another bout and was coming off a very good KO win against Robert Helenius.

Alexander Povetkin doesn't even have any business fighting at heavyweight in the first place due to how tiny he is in comparison to most of the other top heavyweights. The fact that he managed to KO a much heavier, bigger sized opponent who was never previously CLEANLY knocked out before (excluding the standing TKO stoppage loss to Deontay Wilder) is pretty impressive, despite the context. And I doubt too many boxers would've been able to cleanly KO even that version of Johan Duhapas that Povetkin fought, considering how proven his punch resistance is after being able to take Deontay Wilder's best punches for 11 rounds.

5. Luis Fernando

Aug 23, 2017
    If you think Alexander Povetkin only knows how to box the way you've described, then you've either not watched enough of his bouts or you are blind or you are unaware of what you have been watching or it's a combination of those things.

Alexander Povetkin has very good in and out movement. He knows how to step out of range to avoid punches. He can also box at mid range really well as well as on the inside.

Anthony Joshua fighting on the inside puts him at bigger risk of getting knocked out than Alexander Povetkin because Povetkin is a better inside fighter than Anthony Joshua with a better, more proven chin / punch resistance.

Anthony Joshua has a much higher chance of winning if he boxes on the outside whilst counter punching. He may get an eventual TKO cut stoppage if he boxes like that against current old Alexander Povetkin or he may win by decision. However, Alexander Povetkin is way more dangerous on the inside and at mid range. I believe even current old Povetkin can still beat Anthony Joshua on the inside and at mid range but will struggle more to chase down Joshua if Joshua decides to box on the back foot whilst counter punching.

You're severely underestimating Povetkin's punch resistance and defensive skills if you think Joshua is going to just go there and blow someone like Povetkin out that easily. Of course, it could happen since it's heavyweight boxing any single punch can cause a huge effect in a bout. However, it's just not likely, unless Povetkin is totally shot to pieces by the time he fights Joshua.

6. Grapefruit

Grapefruit Active Member Full Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Not a fan of either of them, but I see joshua winning this although povetkin would have less trouble with a.j. than he did with wlad because a.j. would bring the fight to povetkin which would give him a chance instead of neutralizing him with clinches and fighting on the outside with boring ass jabs

7. HerolGee

HerolGee VIP Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2010
    chubby boy gets destroyed.