Ali Act and rematch clauses

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Boxing Prospect, Aug 14, 2019.

1. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    That's a very good idea, as a fan I'd enjoy that as well

2. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    For that to happen they'd have to not be so corrupt

3. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Does he have any better offers?

If all of this isn't just a pantomime to build interest then he must be after something. Is it really about the fight location? Does it relate to networks, subscription Vs pov models?

Has someone told him he can get away with one or more of the belts and into a pov with wilder? I can't see it, too many moving parts...

4. minemax

minemax Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 10, 2017
    Well, I don't know. The PBC have some heavyweights, so they can figure something out with Ruiz.

5. Holler

Mar 12, 2018
    Ah well, For sure M'learned friends will enjoy sorting all this out for a modest fee.

Robney likes this.
  6. jm2729v

jm2729v Active Member Full Member

Jun 15, 2016
    Everyone saying rematch clauses should be outlawed is only saying it because the golden goose who's downfall they were praying for lost. If their favourite world champion lost their fight they'd want a rematch clause for sure.

7. Trafford

Trafford Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2018
    My understanding was that was part of the offer if he lost.

The deal from my understanding was $6m for the fight, if he wins he gets $9m for the rematch and if he loses he gets another DAZN fight for $1.5m

George Crowcroft and minemax like this.
  8. rski

rski Well-Known Member Full Member

May 12, 2013
    At least Lewis had the rematch in the US, and spanked Rahman in front of his countryman, something AJ is either too afraid, or protected to do. Lewis bossed the situation, got his belts back knowing he was going to do it whatever the circumstances, AJ and his team are pulling every trick in the book to ensure victory by any crooked means, why fight in Saudi Arabia when the score could be settled in America, everyone’s happy? Even AJ was up for it, so they say anyway...

305th likes this.
  9. Holler

Mar 12, 2018
    What trick have they pulled?

10. Holler

Mar 12, 2018
    That's still the area where I'd consider buying Ruiz off. The AJ victory has raised his profile. It could be mutually beneficial to extend that from fight deal, as long as the contract he signed is honoured.

bandeedo likes this.
  11. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    It ended up in court before that fight happened, because Rahman refused to fight the rematch, the court only ruled that Rahman had to fight Lewis next or not at all for the next year and a half. In this case it didn't come to that point yet.
    If it ends up in court, like Lewis vs Rahman, they have to abide with the stipulations of the verdict.

12. minemax

minemax Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 10, 2017
    Because a ridiculous amount of money was offered by the Saudi Arabian side (by their government, in fact)?

13. rski

May 12, 2013
    Why is the fight being made in Saudi Arabia for a start, when there was no complaint from either fighter in terms of location in the US the first time round. The fight was completely fair, so why would AJ and his team not want to travel there but are completely willing to travel to the Middle East?

Unforgiven likes this.
  14. bandeedo

bandeedo VIP Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2007
    give him a shot at a #1 contender for one of the straps, which will put him right back in front of the queue. the kid can fill seats in specific markets in america and mexico. he can make you money.

15. rski

May 12, 2013
    So they couldn’t make a similar amount in the US, without endangering the whole fight? Ruiz might pull out so there may not be a fight. It’s a great statement to make in that case, chase the money for the sake of actually getting this fight made. All I hear is Hearn saying it’s going ahead, and Ruiz saying it will be on his terms. Is Hearn banking on that so that he can file a lawsuit and avoid the fight entirely? Probably a stretch but whatever the case this is not a straight forward deal is it?