Ali H2H

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by JoffJoff, Mar 25, 2017.

1. GordonGarner65

GordonGarner65 Active Member Full Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Im a huge Lennox admirer. However i always felt he was a better boxer when he didnt come in so heavy, at his heaviest i think Ali is way too fast for him, not just offensively, but in defence and ring control
    Ive always thought peak Holyfield would be a difficult fight for Ali.

Cecil likes this.
  2. GALVATRON

GALVATRON Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Oct 30, 2016
    well he was big for his time but look at the Firpo fight ,it was the first guy that was big at about 215( HUGE in those days) with O.K skill that forced Dempsey to brawl and knocked him out of the ring. Dempsey is the first guy to utilize a combo system of body to head and mixing things up more but certainly what a novice boxer would be trained to do today...but dont tell anyone in this section...lol

Birmingham likes this.
  3. GALVATRON

GALVATRON Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Oct 30, 2016
    Under Steward when Lewis packed on the extra 20 pounds he was much harder to deal with. Timing and accuracy beats speed and Lewis LONG jab and inside/outside fighting would be too much for Ali. You really needed to crack Lewis to get him out of there off his game...

Ali wouldnt have that here either,lewis would be a far more dangerous adversary than Holyfield bc if you take away alis jab its game over.and lewis from the outside with that 83 inch reach style wise would do that.Holyfield showed struggles against long jabbers at times,lewis simply was a head ache to get at size wise and he hit hard unlike Holyfield.

Birmingham likes this.
  4. Birmingham

Birmingham Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Its because ali was usually the bigger opponent. Lewis, Bowe and klits are quick enough to catch Ali. Terrell and foreman who else worth talking about was bigger than ali ?? Terrell was good but hes not in the league or as big as them four I mentioned, and foreman was the thickest fighter ive ever seen in Zaire

5. Ken Ashcroft

Ken Ashcroft Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 23, 2008
    There was a reason why Ali called him the Mummy ...:hsughwiggle:

GordonGarner65 likes this.
  6. Birmingham

Jan 13, 2017
    Holyfield is an absolute beast..Again probably beats Ali for me

7. Mr.DagoWop

Mr.DagoWop Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2015
    You are the exact prototypical boxing fan I am talking about when I say people only care about the number on the scale to determine the winner. Dempsey beat multiple super heavies as well as guys who outweighed him by 20+ lbs and yet you still are saying he has problems against guys with a weight advantage. Dempsey could time travel, knockout every super heavy in the world and you would still doubt his ability.

Tragic...

8. Mr.DagoWop

Jul 1, 2015
    Skill over size. Unless the fighter of the past proves that they can't handle a fighter with a weight advantage. With all the PED's guys are still coming up exhausted after 6 rds.

9. Birmingham

Jan 13, 2017
    There's weight categories for a reason u idiot. He beat shite compared to who ive mentioned..Willard ??? You fail to mention his weight...You secretly know I'm right u just cant face the truth...

10. Mr.DagoWop

Jul 1, 2015
    Dempsey 180 - Willard 245

65 lbs is more than enough to make up for however long of a lay off he had. I don't want to get into a name calling argument here so if this topic upsets you my advice would be to just put me on ignore.

11. Perry

Perry Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Weight catagories are more for the lower weight divisions where five pounds can mean allot.

Ali beat the large fighters he fought to death. Klit, Bowe, Lewis would appear in slow motion vs prime Ali. Ali's jab was measured as being quicker than SRR jab ......much quicker.

Ali is considered the best ever for a reason. Klit, Bowe and Lewis are not for a reason.

12. Perry

Perry Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 26, 2015
    WWF mentality. Newbies.

13. Sangria

Sangria You bleed like Mylee Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    You don't think peak Iron Mike would be a dangerous assignment for peak Ali?
    I agree with everything else you posted...

14. JoffJoff

JoffJoff Regular Junkie Full Member

Jan 25, 2017
    :eek::jaja-no::facepalm:

That reason being because he called himself 'the greatest' and the masses bought it. He was very charismatic and likeable as well as a great self promoter. The 3 boxers you mention would all be favoured versus Ali.:boxing1

Also he was an icon who transcended the sport, no boxing expert thinks he is technically the greatest boxer in history.

'The Greatest' is to Ali what 'T.B.E.' is to Mayweather.

15. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    The masses bought it? Not before the Foreman fight they didn't...

He earned that title, and the people echoed it much louder than T.B.E.