ALI HOLMES - The Hidden Truth Behind the "Fight"

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, May 18, 2020.

1. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    AND?

Do you actually know when Ali was diagnosed with Parkinson's? 1984.

THAT is when Ali and everyone else knew he had Parkinson's. Who did he fight that year?

It's easy to predict the outcome of fights that took place in 1980 from your seat in 2020.

Probably wasn't a great idea for several thousand people to go to that Kowanicki-Helenius fight in New York the first week in March, given what we know about the number of people who came down with COVID in New York about a week later. Was it?

Didn't hear anyone on the board bring that up at the time. Did you?

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    KidGalahad likes this.
  2. KidGalahad

KidGalahad Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2008
    all hindsight, mark.
    the parkinsons syndrome was diagnosed not earlier than 1984.

in hindsight everybody of us can see the way he was going.

back then he looked slower, often tired, sluggish, slurring his syllables, going through the motions, but still had his old wit and assured everybody that he was - aside from being an old fighter - healthwise ok. the famous majo clinic had declared him fit to fight just one year before.
    of course, some - if not many - had their doubts. that´s why he was denied a license for the berbick fight in the united states.

3. shadow111

shadow111 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 1, 2012
    I did hear stories about that plane ride back that after the wrestling match with Inoki, Ali was in bad shape worse than any boxing match he'd ever been in.

4. sweetsci

sweetsci Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Was it 1984 that Ali was diagnosed with Parkinson's, or was it 1985? I'm only going by memory here, but I seem to recall reading about it around the same time Larry Holmes fought David Bey. The Parkinson's diagnosis was pretty big news at the time.

5. KidGalahad

Feb 16, 2008
    washington post, sept. 20th 1984:

"Ali Diagnosis 'Parkinsonism'

Hospitalized former world heavyweight boxing champion Muhammad Ali was diagnosed today as suffering from "Parkinsonism," or minor symptoms of Parkinson's disease. ..."

source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...nsonism/8548863c-49a7-4cc1-84dd-d54be4e97e32/

times daily, sept, 20th 1984:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AciAAAAIBAJ&sjid=esgEAAAAIBAJ&pg=1458,4822878

6. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Ali said he had Parkinson`s in the presse after the Holmes, I don`t care about some diagnoses you could see he had sevdere parkinson`s in 1983 when he attended Leonard`s retirement announcement. He couldn`t punch the speedbag training for the Holmes fight it`s on the vid I pasted, you could here his speech slowing and his mannerism`s were slow, this is incredible.

7. KidGalahad

Feb 16, 2008
    in a way you are right.
    ali admitted that he suffered parkinsonism after the holmes fiasco.
    in fact 4 years after, in september of 1984.
    it was an official press statement (see links to american newspaper archives above), that made worldwide headlines.

he didn´t before
    (and i read a lot about the man during the last 40 years, including the hauser, remnick and eig biographies).

(if you remember differently, please attest this in revealing your source)

8. sweetsci

sweetsci Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Thanks! I guess I could've done that myself, but I appreciate it.

KidGalahad likes this.
  9. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    You could clearly see he had Parkinson`s, what`s the problem?

10. KidGalahad

Feb 16, 2008
    re-writing history is not cool.