Ali vs Jerry Quarry 2

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Longhhorn71, Feb 23, 2016.

1. timmers612

timmers612 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 25, 2005
    Can't see it at all, they did literally nothing the same from the feet up. Jack had a limiting sideways back foot to stabilize his stance but it made him move unevenly when he would go quickly forward and allowed none of Ali's dancing. Ali didn't train in blocking while Jack did exclusively and their punches were all thrown differently.

2. timmers612

Sep 25, 2005
    I had no problem at the time with the bout being made but lets face it, that wasn't whatever Jerry had left at that stage, he was totally messed up from the moment he stepped in the ring from watching his brother get badly ko'd.

3. foreman&dempsey

foreman&dempsey Boxing Addict banned

Dec 7, 2015
    ali loked **** in every fight against norton

4. Perry

Perry Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Look closer. He did not fight the entire bout this way nor did Ali have a full comprehension of the Johnson style. You will see Ali, flatfooted, with right hand crossed across his chest snapping off jabs at long range. If you did not read the story, you would not notice it.

5. janwalshs

janwalshs Active Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2010
    The main thing that struck me about this fight was when Jerry, in the 1st round, lifted Ali off his feet and carried him to the ropes as if he was going to toss him out of the ring like a pro wrestler. Maybe this was where Ali got the idea to toy with wrestling.

Ironically, that was probably Jerry's best moment of the fight. The rest of it, he was clearly dominated.

6. timmers612

Sep 25, 2005
    Watching it live at the time we knew Jerry did that from a messed up state, it would have been better had the fight not had to take place after Mike was ko'd so badly. Jerry wasn't Jerry for one moment of the fight.

7. ronnyrains

ronnyrains Active Member Full Member

May 27, 2014
    hi Night Train I believe the top 5 WBA

Champion : Joe Frazier
    1- Muhammad Ali
    2- Jerry Quarry
    3- Floyd Patterson
    4- George Foreman
    5- Jimmy Ellis

8. Nighttrain

Nighttrain 'BOUT IT 'BOUT IT Full Member

Nov 7, 2011

Thanks Ronny, I just watched this fight the other night! The pre fight introductions were a trip. Ali refused to acknowledge Ellis, taunted Foreman an Blue Lewis who he was set to fight in 3 weeks. Quarry was fired up and ready to go!

9. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
  10. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    He didnt he watched film of Johnson v Jeffries and said maybe I'll use that and it was the FIRST Quarry fight anyway Ali's return from exile with Bundini shouting out," Jack Johnsons ghost is here",and "Ghost in the house".

Perry was full of it.

11. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Quarry-Patterson 3 would have made sense.

Can't fault Ali for fighting the top-ranked available contenders. Frazier wasn't agreeing to a rematch, so Ali faced the best of the rest.

12. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    There is a possibility that Foster would cut Jerry with that laser jab of his. It would depend on how soon Quarry could get his offense going. If the fight isn`t stopped due to cuts I think Quarry gets him in the mid rounds. He wasn't as aggressive as Frazier but Jerry could crack with both hands and he had the better chin here.

13. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Nothing in Fosters heavyweight record suggests he has a decent chance of beating Quarry.

14. Nighttrain

Nighttrain 'BOUT IT 'BOUT IT Full Member

Nov 7, 2011

Interestingly, I put Foster in the same tier as Archie Moore yet Foster was never able to successfully compete at heavyweight.

15. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Except the fact that Quarry tended to cut and Foster`s jab could possibly do it. So that would be something. Quarry was obviously the better heavyweight but he had that weakness.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016