Ali vs Norton 3

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by SeanK, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    True. They also never had any of their close fights go against them (well, Briggs in Foreman's second career) and neither did Louis.

I've only watched Ali-Norton I once and had it very close, but thought that I was perhaps biased and that it was a clear win for Kenny in reality, but interesting that Norton himself has said that it could have gone either way. In that case, Ali did have one close fight go against him.

swagdelfadeel and Stevie G like this.
  2. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Ken definitely deservedthe verdict in the first fight by around 7 - 4 - 1. And,like your good self,I'm a massive Ali fan. Interesting that Norton thought that,though.

Bokaj and Mendoza like this.
  3. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Ali never decisively beat Norton

He squeaked by him in the second fight at best, lost the first and the third fight ... I don't see how you can give Ali the win in the third fight ... Unless you do some strange scoring maybe you can come up with a draw for Ali ...

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  4. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    You're not the only one who had Ali-Norton I close. Futch and Frazier (not only were they in Norton's camp but both hated Ali immensely) had the fight a draw.

RulesMakeItInteresting and Bokaj like this.
  5. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Sep 16, 2012
    The young near prime Ali of the 60s would probably even have trouble with Norton ... His style was perfect against boxers

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  6. Bokaj

Jan 4, 2008
    And Futch was Norton's trainer for the fight, and Frazier and Norton were stable mates. Surprised to hear that they had it so close. Interesting.

7. swagdelfadeel

Jul 30, 2014
    tbh I don't think he would've had much trouble with him. In their 2nd fight, when Ali fought like the Ali of old, and punched from unconventional angles, Norton could do nothing. A fight with a 60s Ali would be more of the same, the only difference being Ali wouldn't have tired.

8. swagdelfadeel

Jul 30, 2014
    Yeah I'm trying to find a source. My old one (google newspaper archives) seems to have deleted a lot of their pages unfortunately.

Bokaj likes this.
  9. Bokaj

Jan 4, 2008
    I think Norton still would have good spells when Ali took a breather.

Stevie G and swagdelfadeel like this.
  10. swagdelfadeel

Jul 30, 2014
  11. The Long Count

The Long Count Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Norton beat Ali close on my card in 3rd fight 8-7
    Also I had Jimmy Young beating Ali

and Ali could of easily been Dq’d with his fight against Henry Cooper for his corner illegally using Smelling Salts to revive their fighter between rounds. Salts were banned in Britain.

12. Stevie G

Jul 17, 2009
    If Eddie Futch had still been in Ken's corner,he'd have without a doubt urged him to come out hurling everything but the kitchen sink at Muhammad in the final round and he'd probably have taken it,thus winning the fight. This is the difference between the second and third fights between the pair - Ken tried to win the last round in the second one but Muhammad was faster than him. The position was reversed in the later bout because of Muhammad's deterioration in speed and skillset. Ali still had a great thinking fighter's brain,though.Wasted opportunity by Norton and his corner.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    Bokaj and swagdelfadeel like this.
  13. Stevie G

Jul 17, 2009
    I concur. As I've already said,I think Ken edged it but it was n't the robbery some make it out to be.

14. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Yep, and I think the Lyle stoppage when he was up on points was iffy

15. Stevie G

Jul 17, 2009
    In all fairness,Lyle was all over the place when the fight was stopped.