Ali was overrated

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by bill poster, Jan 11, 2008.

1. bill poster

bill poster Guest

Before Ali fought Frazier he fought bums, grade 2 fighters or hasbeens, the best at the time but they were just not up to the stand of fighters in, say, Lennox's era. Plus he got beat by Jones IMO and was lucky to get away with a win over Cooper.

Then in the 70s he got owned by Frazier and had a lot of dubious decisions go his way. His lack of power caused him to have to go the distance too many times. His best performance were his third fight with a dininished Frazier and Foreman of course. But I believe recent HW champs would have also beat Foreman quite easily.

2. Woddy

Woddy Guest

3. Russell

Russell VIP Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Ali fought some horrible guys towards the end of his career and put on some really craptacular showings...

But after everything he did do, who can blame him for easy fights for a final few paychecks?

The guys he fought at the end like Blin weren't any worse than some of the fighters Joe Louis fought when he was actually the champion.

4. round15

round15 Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ali has received some gift decisions in his career but I wouldn't discredit the opponents that gave him tough fights. Quarry, Bonavena, Doug Jones and George Chuvalo aren't bums. At least Ali gave boxing more than one fight against opponents that took him to the limit. Frazier 3x, Norton 3x, Liston 2x, Chuvalo 2x, Spinks 2x. That's a whole lot more than Tyson, Holyfield, Lewis or Holmes can account for in terms of rematches.

5. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    This thread is not to be taken seriously. For anyone to claim that Ali was owned by Frazier, when he defeated him 2 out of 3 times, and lost once only after returning from a near 4 year layoff, is sadly misinformed.

6. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Sure he is overrated.

Just not as much as he should be.

7. Smokin'Moe420

Smokin'Moe420 Fighting, ****ing Machine Full Member

Dec 12, 2007
  8. Drew101

Drew101 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    *Yawns*

Topic done to death. Next.

9. C. M. Clay II

C. M. Clay II Manassah's finest! Full Member

Sep 23, 2006
    I don't get it.:huh

10. Dempsey1238

Dempsey1238 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 10, 2005
    I understand, in regards to pound for pound of couse.

11. Polymath

Polymath Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 29, 2007
    I read that as 'lesbians' for some reason.:D

[size=-2]Maybe he did, I dunno[/size]

12. med

med Member Full Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Wow someone with obvious lack of boxing knowledge posted this thread ?

13. Sweet Pea

Sweet Pea Obsessed with Boxing banned

Dec 26, 2007
    Sugar Ray Robinson was overrated. He got owned by LaMotta and only won the other fights with him because LaMotta was in the mob and forced to throw the fights. He lost to the only good fighter he fought in Joey Maxim. Otherwise he fought a bunch of nobodies and an ancient Armstrong.

Anyone can do a half assed, worthless post like that. Now unless you were just cracking a joke(even still) then you should stop posting for the rest of your life.

14. brownpimp88

brownpimp88 Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 26, 2007
    ali is greater than duran and pep, those two are the overrated ones if you ask me.

Ali beat virtually every important fighter in his division. He has had 1/5 the amount of fights pep has, yet he beat more ranked fighters.

15. sthomas

sthomas Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 14, 2007
    Ali alltime #1. Also, how many great fighters did he duck during his career?