All this Canelo Talk. Does anyone truely think that??

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by The Sarge, Nov 19, 2019.

1. The Sarge

The Sarge Member Full Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Canelo seeing as he is a 'Monster' . I wont go back too far in History BUT do you really think he could beat RJJ, Bhop, Calzaghe, Toney or Ward at 168 or 175? I mean honestly?

C.J. likes this.
  2. Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 31, 2016
  3. Dirsspaardis

Dirsspaardis Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 2, 2017
  4. Heavy_Hitter

Heavy_Hitter Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Yes. However, they all would be drained and 50 years old. At least.

5. Odins beard

Odins beard Fentanyl is one hell of a drug.... Full Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Yes, he’s a live dog with all of them.

Ph33rknot, Badbot and Mirko like this.
  6. Dannymita

Dannymita Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 21, 2019
    I wouldn't fancy canelo against any of them.. But no shame in that... They are elite fighters and bigger

Eel87, Badbot, aaalbert and 1 other person like this.
  7. ShovelHook

ShovelHook Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 22, 2019
    In their primes, solid nope in that one pal.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  8. IsaL

IsaL VIP Member Full Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Hard to say.

But the things that makes Canelo special are his willingness to learn which has enabled him be a multi-dimensional fighter.

That will help him against the different fight styles from those guys mentioned. He can pressure, he can counter off the ropes, he can keep the fight in the middle of the ring and counter from the center, he can infight, he can fight from range. The man is a true student of the sport.

I think he has the easiest time with Calzaghe since he opens up a lot, and really his biggest asset is his hand speed, with Canelo being a defensive Wizard and an excellent counter puncher I see him landing the better punches when Calzaghe is finishing up one of his flurries.

Since we are talking about 168-175, I think Ward and Bhops give him the hardest time. They are as intelligent, possibly even more intelligent than Canelo. While not as naturally gifted as Canelo they do hold significant reach and height advantages that they clearly know how to use unlike some of the other big men Canelo has fought.

With that said I wouldn't completely count out Canelo's timing, explosiveness and counter punching abilities to get him a win over them.

ndthentherewasx and Mirko like this.
  9. UniversalPart

UniversalPart Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2010
    On neutral terms with no silly clauses and political games, Canelo is an underdog.

In today's era you would be foolish to bet against him.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  10. From.Russia

From.Russia Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 15, 2013
    No. There are 2 fighters on Canelo's resume that you can somehow compare skillwise to fighters that you mentioned:

Floyd. Canelo lost every round.
    GGG. Lost first fight and won second but pretty close. GGG was 36 years old btw.

i personally think he wont be favorite against any of them, maybe except Hopkins, but its cuz we have 50 yo Hopkins in mind, lol.

11. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    He can walk on water didnt you know ? ROFL
    Canelo like Floyd before him is a MANUFACTURED FIGHTER. He's always had Bob Bennett, the NSAC,
    & Vegas boxing officials covering his ass. He will never "lose" a decision there. Floyd got beat by Castillo & Maidana & Canelo by GGG x2, Lara & Trout but the cash cows were given the decisions. Them "winning" means
    $$$$$$$$$$$$ & that breeds the corruption

Daddy, BobD99, From.Russia and 2 others like this.
  12. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    NO!!!!!!!! The thing that makes Clenelo seem "special" is the team he has behind him ENSURING he never loses.
    Sure the kid can fight BUT he isnt half the fighter you clenelites think he is

BobD99, elmaldito and UniversalPart like this.
  13. bandeedo

bandeedo VIP Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2007
    jones is the only one i have trouble seeing him have much success over. he would look like he did as a kid vs floyd. all the rest i have no doubt he would be up for the challenge against.

Ph33rknot and Richard M Murrieta like this.
  14. Barrera

Barrera Defeated Boxing_master Full Member

Jul 13, 2012
    He Def had an off night against kova even tho he got the job done he Def did not look himself, can't be fully decided if its due to the weight however after one fight. I don't think canelo would beat the likes of Jones but bhop lost to lesser men

15. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    He'd be competitive with all of them, at least for a while. But I don't see him as being able to win a genuine victory over these guys.

BobD99 likes this.