Am I training right?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by GrizzlyBearEric, Jan 22, 2017.

1. GALVATRON

GALVATRON Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Oct 30, 2016
    Yep and i cant understand how that CLOGGED up anything? At least you got it! lmao

2. GALVATRON

GALVATRON Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Oct 30, 2016
    Follow one but as far as weights (outside boxing ) dont workout what is sore or hurting...do legs only once a week ,you get enough leg work just standing and boxing/running....etc...Weights are to reinforce and make the bones/muscles and tendons stronger,any lifting wheather its once a week or 3 times a week will help build a more solid core and stronger better balanced body.

Its always smart to do full body workouts if you are still new to lifting,just adjust it at a day you arent doing heavy routines in boxing the next day or two bc that full body excercises takes longer to heal. like i said adjusting the schedule what fits , you are going to know best the longer you train. i know my body to the point i dont make set schedules ,i dont have to and never did. there is a differance between strength training and / Power training for size. you are strength training if you are getting into boxing.

If its just generally working out than you wont have to worry as much,you can lift as much as you box.im not sure what the main goal was here? but if you are looking to improve boxing to actually fight then you have to be a bit more aware of what you are working ...so you dont over work anything.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    GrizzlyBearEric likes this.
  3. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Both of my quotes go hand in hand - you find a weakness you add training to fix that weakness.

I think we're on the same page, just bad wording on my part.

GALVATRON likes this.
  4. Flatlander

Flatlander Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 11, 2005
    Lifting heavyweights is counter productive for a boxer. Honestly it appears to me that you may be over training.

5. viru§™

Aug 28, 2007
    Depends why the individual is lifting weights.

GALVATRON likes this.
  6. Flatlander

Mar 11, 2005
    How so?

7. viru§™

Aug 28, 2007
    You mean why would a boxer lift heavy? To get stronger is an obvious example.

8. GrizzlyBearEric

GrizzlyBearEric New Member Full Member

Jan 21, 2017
    Thanks for the advice everyone,i'll take notes on key points and make adjustments as needed, my main goal is to lose weight and get into fighting shape. as i said,i'm 280 lbs,so i'm a pretty big guy,given there is quite a bit of muscle,but still quite a bit of fat.

GALVATRON likes this.
  9. Flatlander

Mar 11, 2005
    If muscle mass and physical strength were of main importance in boxing there would more champions who lifted heavy weights. I know of none. Earnie Shavers, Joe Frazier, and Bob Foster never lifted weights. George Foreman, no weights. Ali never lifted weights. Those are champs of the past. I know of none today. We have had our gym for 30 years. Two world champions. 50 or more national and world amateur champions. Never had weights or weight machine. Lifting weights decreases one's speed and flexibility. It shortens the muscle.

10. viru§™

Aug 28, 2007
    Who said anything about muscle mass? You're not one of those ignorant folk that seems to think touching a weight builds enormous amounts of muscle are you?

Physical strength is important to any athlete, that's obvious. It makes no difference how an athlete gets to the level of strength they feel they need, the important part is that they get there effectively.

This proves absolutely nothing. I'm saying weights can be used for a specific reason not every boxer is required to use them in order to win.

That's probably because you're ignorant of how to incorporate weight lifting into a boxers routine, which is fair enough as you're a boxing coach.

Try telling that to Olympic level sprinters and lifters. Or how about NFL players. Maybe go and chat to the martial artists that lift weights to increase their strength, flexibility and speed.

Do yourself a favor and stick to teaching boxing, your weight lifting knowledge is clearly very poor.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  11. baconmaker

baconmaker Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Evander Holyfield, Lamont Brewster, David Tua, Wladimir Klitschko, David Haye, Tyson Fury, all lift weights. But the focus is to get stronger, not to become bodybuilder. Just remember to stretch after your weightlifting session.

GALVATRON and GrizzlyBearEric like this.
  12. Flatlander

Mar 11, 2005
    My point as a former weight lifter, is lifting heavy weights for a boxer is more detrimental than helpful. We use weights, 25 pounds or less. However, my experience over the past 30 plus years, is that there are far better ways to strengthen your upper and lower body strength other than lifting heavy weights. We use 10 - 20 pound medicine balls. 5 - 10 pound hand, wrist and ankle weights. I could post pic after pic of our body sculpt and ripped boxers from our gym who never trained with a weight over 20 pounds or who trained on a Bowflex. So bulk up by lifting heavy weights if you choose to do so. I just suggest, based upon my own personal experience, there is a better way.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  13. viru§™

Aug 28, 2007
    You keep saying this but you haven't actually given anything to support what you're saying. You've given your opinion, which is factually incorrect.

For what exactly? If you just broadly use such light weight for everything this indicates a very poor understanding of what you're doing.

This can be true. It all comes down to what you're attempting to achieve. Overall, though, when it comes to strength, weights are most likely the best route.

I'll just repeat this - For what exactly? If you just broadly use such light weight for everything this indicates a very poor understanding of what you're doing.

Why are you now bringing looks into this? You do realize we're talking about the performance of an athlete, not building muscle or losing weight?

Your ignorance is incredible. You would have thought that as a boxing coach you'd understand that you require a calorie surplus in order to gain weight and build muscle. In other words, weight gain (muscle or fat,) is down to diet. What do you think would happen if you didn't have a calorie surplus and lifted weights?

Seriously, do some research. This is very basic stuff.

Again, it depends on what you're attempting to achieve.

The vast majority of what you've said shows you have absolutely no idea how to utilize weights in an athlete's training.

As I said in my previous post, stick to boxing, you're showing yourself to be incredibly ignorant on this matter.

GALVATRON likes this.
  14. baconmaker

baconmaker Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Most trainers don't like their fighters to lift heavy weights. But for me lifting weights here and there gives me some extra boost, it makes my mind stronger. So its not so bad thing at all. But the focus is 90% in boxing training. I do one powerlift routine once a week which includes front squats, power cleans, some dumbell presses and curls, thats all. But i'm everyday doing calisthenics which is the best key to build strong core.

15. GrizzlyBearEric

GrizzlyBearEric New Member Full Member

Jan 21, 2017