amateur records and KO

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Irish_Southpaw6, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Irish_Southpaw6

Irish_Southpaw6 New Member Full Member

Jun 28, 2007
    I was wondering how common a KO is in amateur boxing and if any of you people have KO'd anybody. Also what are your records as amateurs and how long did you train before your first fight (I still have months of training before I'm ready for a fight.) If this has already been a thread sorry, just hook me up with a link to it please.

2. amy

amy If you know what I mean Full Member

May 23, 2006
    Technically, there's no such thing as a KO in the ams. The rules are designed as such that the fight will be stopped before anyone is actually knocked unconscious.

3. aramini

aramini Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2004
    My stoppages are mostly RSCs, and they are skittish in the amatuers about this. all my losses are RSCs, but only one of my victories is a real KO, the others are blood or premature stoppages when I pounded someone in a corner and overwhelmed them with work rate. I was 15-4 with 9 stoppages, but I think only about three or four knockdowns and one where the guy was actually out for a long time (off a jab over the eye socket, believe it or not - he ran into it). It is hard to get someone out of there with head gear on and bigger gloves if they know how to cover up at all. Most of those fights were at 116 to 122 pounds throughout college, and a few come years later at 128 lbs or so. I haven't fought in a while.

I had only been training about three months at college before my first match, but I had been doing other martial arts sparring since I was little kid.

4. Irish_Southpaw6

Jun 28, 2007
    So basically the KO is avoided as much as possible in the amateurs and they just stop it when someone is getting dominated?

5. aramini

aramini Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2004
    yep some of the stoppages are REALLY premature. Like a guy will get backed into a corner and the ref will step in after a good combination lands even if the guy doesn't wobble at ALL. I was usually stopped because my nose bled a lot and they would constantly stop the action to look at the bleeding even if I was fine. Amatuer rules pretty much suck but at the same time they do keep you from getting TOO hurt. It is hard to knock a guy clean out with those rules because of the standing 8 counts, too. If you have him hurt they will step in so you can't knock him down.

6. austyn

austyn Yeah I know Full Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Yeah , pretty much... In our amateur boxing if u get 1 good staright right to your opponents face and he wobbles the ref will b ready to jump in...

7. Irish_Southpaw6

Jun 28, 2007
    Aw that is lame if you let your guard down for a second and get hit with a decent shot the fight could be over. Imo the point of the amateurs is to learn how to box so you can eventually/hopefully go pro. How are you supposed to learn how to box if the fight is stopped everytime you or the other guy gets hit with a decent punch. Throwing punches is important but the pros also know how to take a punch and how do you learn defense/taking shots if the fight is stopped whenever you get a little shaken up. It is a safety first environment but anybody ever think maybe this safety is the reason why boxing has lost popularity in the last few years? Anyhow thats my rant and rave, back to the topic at hand.lol

8. BRICKS

BRICKS the Pride of the Tribe Full Member

Nov 8, 2005
    I can understand the situation. just like jc and manfredo. if theres nothing that can be done to win the first then it should be stopped. but if you get wobbled and are able to fight on you should be able to. guess their protecting themselves as much as the fighters.

9. skipdog

skipdog Active Member Full Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Just land one big shot and the ref stops it... In a way its more exciting to watch then pros, because it seems like all sorts of random **** happens..

10. amy

amy If you know what I mean Full Member

May 23, 2006
    It's not like you get hit with one big one and the fight is over. If you get hit with a hard shot, (one the wobbles your legs) the ref will jump in and give you an 8 count. You get 3 in one round or 4 total in a fight and it's over. If you are to the point that you've gotten 3 8-counts in one two minute round you are taking a beating and there is no reason for the fight to continue.