Andre Ward doesnt get enough credit for fighting Kovalev

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by tinman, Oct 17, 2021.

1. kirk

kirk l l l Staff Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Fixing a fight isn't a conspiracy?

Pretty sure it's an almost textbook example of a conspiracy. As in... literally, by definition.

Boxingfan2 and Jackstraw like this.
  2. kirk

kirk l l l Staff Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Conspiracy :

"a secret plan by a group to do something unlawful."

Fight fixing is a textbook example of a conspiracy.

velagod, Jackstraw and JL Fighter like this.
  3. MarvelousMarvinGolovkin

MarvelousMarvinGolovkin Kownackis belly button lint Full Member

Nov 13, 2020
    You said you don't believe in Conspiracies, even one as Blatant as that fight, So maybe if I tell you the fight wasn't a conspiracy you will believe it was fixed
    :campeon:

4. kirk

kirk l l l Staff Member

Jul 26, 2004
    This content is protected

5. MarvelousMarvinGolovkin

MarvelousMarvinGolovkin Kownackis belly button lint Full Member

Nov 13, 2020
    You really like the manlets huh?
    Canelo and now Charlie Day lol

6. kirk

kirk l l l Staff Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Whoa you got me.

7. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Yeah, it's very selective when people are upset about what's perceived as dirty tactics. A few borderline low blows by Ward got this forum to blow up while Fury being rough against Wilder hardly is mentioned. And don't get me wrong, I think Fury's pushing the limits a bit is what an experienced pro should do, it's just the inconsistency that annoys me.

Ward took on maybe the most feared fighter in boxing at the time, won a controversial decision and gave an immediate rematch which he won. That's how it should be done.

8. Safin

Safin Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Aug 3, 2019
    He lost the first bout and then played his role in one of the most disgraceful bouts in recent memory. Pathetic by himself and all of the crooks involved.

Perkin Warbeck likes this.
  9. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    People don’t give Ward credit for him always having and making full use of favorable officials and home advantage, and on top of that having been one of the dirtiest and spoiling fighters out there. The Kovalev fights were prime examples of unfair favorirism in boxing.
    For the people that don’t see Kovalev 1 as a blatant robbery, it was a prime example of tactical scoring by the judges. The lesser man got the nod, because of favorirism

10. West of Hollywood

West of Hollywood Active Member Full Member

Nov 17, 2018
    Ward was definitely one of the dirtiest great fighters, but he does deserve a lot of credit for his two fights with Kovalev. However it was a tragedy in a sense that a man with a lot of personal demons did not get the big win in the first fight that he deserved. Kovalev did not handle it well and I think that accelerated his downfall. That was his fault, but it does not take away the fact of the huge injustice. Kovalev should have kept his championship and been the first fighter to beat Ward.

box33, Perkin Warbeck and Jackstraw like this.
  11. johnny_o

johnny_o Member Full Member

Dec 26, 2020
    If anything, Ward gets too much credit for Kovalev. The idea of lauding him for having the balls (o, the irony!) to just fight Krusher in the first place is laughable. Similar with the second fight - what a shocker, the idea of the "winner" giving the "loser" a rematch.
    Ward should have lost both fights - by clear decision and disqualification.
    Regarding the Canelo fight - I don't think it was fixed as in "we prance around for 10 rounds and you get KTFO in the 11th". It was more a foregone conclusion between Kovalev's short training camp, lack of rest after the Yarde fight, the rehydration clause and excessive drinking. Those four factors put together really hampered Kovalev, to the point I think Canelo deserves little credit for the win, but that's still a lot more than Ward.

12. Slyk

Slyk Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 5, 2010
    I made a thread on this a year or so ago. Ward is undoubtedly a great fighter, but his legacy has been undeniably tarnished by the highly suspect "win" over Kovalev in the first fight. The thread made the point that Ward's legacy today and henceforth would be GREATER had Kovalev been given the decision he rightfully earned, and THEN Ward won the rematch, and a third fight if necessary.

Kovalev was on a steep decline and I suspect Ward would have been able to make more precise adjustments for the second fight either way.

The "win" has done more damage to Ward's legacy than a redeemable loss ever could have. It's the most memorable thing about Ward's career, unfortunately, and that's why any thread about Ward for the next 50 years will see someone bring it up.

johnny_o and velagod like this.
  13. JOKER

JOKER Froat rike butterfry, sting rike MFER! banned Full Member

Dec 18, 2019
    Pacquiao was never a dirty fighter. He apologetically glove tapped Mosley and Rios after hitting them with flush left hands.

box33 likes this.
  14. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 20, 2020
    I wonder how much of Kov's decline was because of that robbery in the 1st Ward fight.

Sure it doesn't paint Kov with much in the way of mental fortitude, and think he might have been a bit unsavoury out of the ring maybe.

One thing I will give Ward props for in the 1st - then further in the 2nd - was showing the blueprint in Kov's weakness to the body - just how much of that body weakness was vodka related is hard to say but definitely seems to have been a factor after the 2nd bout. Dunno how many nut-shots there were in the 2nd fight to go along with the legit bodyshots though.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  15. Babality

Babality KTFO!!!!!!! Full Member

Dec 6, 2008
    He did what Golovkin didn't do.

dinovelvet likes this.