Andre Ward is a greater fighter than Floyd Mayweather, allow me to explain

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by tinman, Jan 17, 2020.

1. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Pac had no option but to accept it The State Commission has carte blanche to do as they wish. They said "Mr Mayweather did nothing wrong so we will not be investigating" ROFL How do they know he did nothing wrong if they didnt investigate ???
    Thanks for proving beyond doubt that youre just a bag of wind & a coward
    I gave you a chance to explain how on earth Floyd was innocent in IV gate? You avoided the question. Why did Pacquaio have a different set of rules to Fraud if he was innocent? THE NSAC is as crooked as a corkscrew as are most of the state commissions.
    Boxing is at it lowest ever & its corruption from the likes of the NSAC & other Commissions Vegas boxing & Frauds like Mayweather, Canelo, Ward etc that is the main cause. I never thought I'd ever advise a young kid to choose other sports rather than try pro boxing but Ive done that several times. If they havent got the $$$$$$ & therefore the commissions backing them they'll just get robbed

Loudon and Jackman65 like this.
  2. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    I don't rate Andre too high. I think he quit 5 years too soon. He lacks real wins against real legends. Good wins, but not great wins. Floyd ranks higher, even though Floyd handpicked and controlled his way to being undefeated he is far ahead of Andre Ward. I don't rank Andre too high in any ATG way.

Rock0052 and Jackman65 like this.
  3. Loudon

Loudon VIP Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    acie2g,

Manny didn't say no to being tested. He just wanted a window due to what had happened with Morales. And a window with an after fight blood test should have been sufficient.

It's so easy to say that he should have said yes to all Floyd's demands.

The reality is, both guys have got huge egos, and there's no way Manny was going to be dictated to by Floyd.

Floyd handled the whole situation terribly. And before his father accused Manny of being dirty, he had no issue with anybody being tested.

Manny was slandered and he suffered racial abuse at the hands of the ignorant Maywesther's. Yet when it went to court, they never said a word.

Floyd never had the confidence to fight Manny back then. A blind man could see that he delayed the fight for as long as possible.

It still took ages to make, even after Manny had said he'd agree to all of Floyd's demands, proving that the testing issue was never the main stumbling block.

I'm also not naive enough to think that everything was negotiated after a basketball game.

Regarding Manny's opponents being shop worn or injured, that's not true.

He fought prime versions of Timothy Bradley and he's just recently fought Keith Thurman.

Okay, you can say that Floyd beat a lot of his other opponents first, but then that's just circumstances.

You've clearly exaggerated. And beating and stopping Kovalev was a huge win, especially as like you've noted, he'd been inactive for a long period due to injury and contractual issues.

His easy win over Froch was also very good, considering that he'd got a double fracture of his hand going into the fight.

Canelo may be greater than Kovalev ever was on a P4P basis, but obviously not at LHW. And we both know that Canelo would never have fought the versions of Kovalev who Andre fought.

Mentioning Canelo's win over Kovalev was completely irrelevant.

Regarding his fight with Floyd, he gave him far too much respect and stood off off him. Something that a more mature version of him would never have done.

Floyd would have gotten huge credit for beating Manny, if:

1. He hadn't have delayed the fight for as long as possible.

2. Manny hadn't been injured. (he was clearly injured)

3. There'd have been no IV scandal, which came after years of slandering Manny without a shred of evidence.

Both are great fighters.

Floyd has the better overall resume.

4. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    It's a real shame he retired when he did. He had a great win over Kovalev though.

KO KIDD likes this.
  5. KO KIDD

KO KIDD Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 5, 2009
    I dont agree I think Floyd is greater than Ward by a long shot

The only area where Ward may have Floyd beat is ATG at a weight class. I'm not sure Floyd is the greatest to ever fight in one of the weights he competed at. Ward might have the distinction as best SMW

6. PernellSweetPea

Feb 26, 2009
    he lacks the real risk and a real win.. Something to define him. Kovalev is not a great name. Froch? Not a great great name. Solid name.

7. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    Fighting Kovalev was a huge risk.

Andre Ward was an inactive SMW who had only respectable power at the weight.

Kovalev was a monster punching LHW who was in his prime.

He broke him down both mentally and physically.

Whilst Kovalev may not be an ATG, it was a great win.

With Floyd, it's vice versa.

He's got a true ATG in Manny on his resume, yet the win wasn't great.

8. PernellSweetPea

Feb 26, 2009
    True about Floyd, but it is the way you beat a great also and Ward lacks that. Floyd is much much better than Ward.

9. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    You need the opportunities.

Andre didn't have the opportunities that Floyd had.

Both were great fighters.

Floyd has the better resume.

10. PernellSweetPea

Feb 26, 2009
    He had opportunities. All fighters do. This excuse that Hearns or Duran or Leonard or Hagler had the greats to fight and none of the other ones did is not valid. Some guys just fight everyone and eventually have a great resume. It is not as easy. Leonard had 4 greats to fight early on, or 3.. Andre had GGG moving up perhaps or he could have moved up and challenged himself more.

11. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    He didn't have the opportunities that Floyd had.

Of course it's valid.

The GG fight was never viable.

Who else was there?

You've just said that you don't rate Kovalev as a great fighter. Yet who today is better at LHW than what he was when he was prime?

Guys like Bivol and Bertebiev look very good, but are still untested.

12. PernellSweetPea

Feb 26, 2009
    Why not fight them? Why didn't he fight Stevenson or Pascal. Have a list of fighters he fought.. Moving up in weight. Testing himself. He took a rather cautious approach. Not for a good top fighter, but for a great. A great fighter? His resume? It is good. An older Abraham,, Froch. And the great Shelby Pudwill.

13. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    Under different circumstances, he could have done more. I'd have liked him to have prolonged his career, and it's a shame that he missed a lot of time due to injuries and contractual issues. But if you don't rate Kovalev as a great win, then you wouldn't have rated wins over the likes of Stevenson and Pascal as being great either.

The point is, he didn't have the opportunities to face the named fighters that Floyd did.

He didn't have an Oscar, Manny, Shane or Canelo to fight.

14. Rock0052

Rock0052 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2006
    There's no way Andre could've caught Floyd fighting as short a career as he did. There were missed opportunities for Ward that could've boosted his resume a lot, but it just couldn't have happened even with them. Being a champion caliber fighter for 8 years is exceptional. Floyd doubled it (17 years)

Going 9-0 in title fights is a great achievement. Mayweather nearly tripled it (26-0).

Had Andre completely unified 168 (and taken out Dirrell in the process), beaten more of the top LHW's when he moved up (like Stevenson, who campaigned hard for that fight), and then moved up to win the WBSS on the road like Usyk did, then there's a case because completely clearing out multiple divisions isn't something Floyd did. And, without something unique like that, there's no argument for Ward.

Sounds extreme, but that's what happens when you're trying to catch a guy who basically did enough for two HOF careers. You've got to do something historical he can't match so some prefer your historical work over his. Andre doesn't have that at all.

Simply put, there's a gulf between them. One's got historical level achievements, one (great career and all) doesn't.

Loudon likes this.
  15. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    I agree with everything you've written. But my point was, whatever Andre had've done, he'd never have had an Oscar or a Pac on his resume.

They weren't available to him.

Rock0052 likes this.