Andre Ward should make a comeback

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by darealperfect1, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009

I believe he made about $6.5 mill for the rematch which is his career highest payday and that was because, as you well know, he was declared the 'winner' after his judges robbed Kovalev of all his world titles in the first fight and Rock Nation was willing to risk losing money on Dre by artificially inflating his purse which I'm no doubt sure they did

'The Russian’s promoter, Main Events CEO Kathy Duva, told a group of reporters that Kovalev will earn 75 percent of Main Event’s 40 percent cut of the promotion’s net revenue (pay-per-view sales, the gate, merchandise, etc.). That figures to be around $1 million-$1.5 million if the fight generates similar numbers to their first fight.

On the other hand, Ward will make a whopping sum and Roc Nation Sports stands to lose money on the promotion.'

Re. Kovalev's purse. Well that's one of the other down sides to getting robbed, Olu. (In Kovalev's case) You don't just get your undefeated record and world titles stolen from you, you also get a big part of your legacy and future earning potential stolen from you.

But back to what I was saying about ''Lil G'' earning more than Dre for 10 minutes world against Stevie ''Jelly'' Rolls than Dre did against Kovalev I & II, Kessler, Froch, Dawson and Abraham combined. I suspect Dre probably just edges it if we include all of them but not by much at all really. Maybe 1-2 million tops?

But look what ''Lil G'' earned for his last fight against that Polish kid

''This upcoming weekend Golovkin will earn $7 million guaranteed purse and $2 million to $4 million based on pay-per-view sales if they stay strong on fight day, he will received extra $1.5 million from sponsorships if manage to pullout the victory against Szeremeta.

Add that to what he received for the Steve ''Jelly'' Rolls fight and I suspect it totals more than Dre's entire career earnings by quite some distance.

I believe he also earned something in the region of $15 mill for the Derevyanchenko fight

And word on the street is he walked with a cool $70 mill for both Clenelo fights

This is what he was expected to make for the rematch but obviously it would've been significantly higher had he not been robbed in the first fight

''So excluding sponsorship money, Canelo is expected to make £38million ($50million) and Golovkin £31million ($40million).''

Surrix likes this.
  2. Surrix

Surrix Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2020
    he told that he might beat HW dude?
    I think Chisora might be available to negotiate fight, interestingly might be to see buterleo vs Chisora and Dorticos for example.

3. El Gallo Negro

El Gallo Negro Active Member banned Full Member

Nov 8, 2020
    Beterbiev and Bivol?
    Ate those guys even still fighting anymore?

4. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi The Right Honourable Lord President of the Council Full Member

May 29, 2007
    As for Kovalev who we were talking about perhaps rather than getting pissed on Russian Vodka he would have been better served reviewing that he got appropriate terms with Main Events because whichever way you look at it he got shafted on the money mainly by himself and those representing him.

The judges did not rob Kovalev he lost the fights period. Trump claims he won the elections but the truth is Joe Biden kicked his ass.

The truth shall set you free.

Money wise Lil G has done well for himself.

Ward made good money and retired and he has a future in sports broadcasting with ESPN. I don’t know why Dre gets the hatred as he is decent bloke, a family man etc the type people will want their daughter to bring home. In fact he is happily married to the beautiful Tiffany with 5 kids.

5. The Real Lance

The Real Lance Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 29, 2012
    The ref in the rematch cost him the fight. Video clear as day showing Kov getting hit in the nuts just prior to the stoppage... Go have your "Uncle" look at footage...