Andrew Selby - Can He Win a World Title?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by EJC83, Jun 27, 2019.

1. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    He's recently linked up with MTK and vowed to stay properly focused now and give it everything he has. Looking at the division I think he can definitely become a World Champion again, but he has to put the work and dedication in and be managed far better than he was.

Watching Charlie Edwards become the WBC champion after some fairly easy fights, since his defeat to Casimero, didn't really sit well with me. Don't get me wrong, I was pleased for the lad, I just don't think he'd done enough to get that shot whereas Selby was deserving of one after he coasted to victory over Rosales a couple of years ago.

The thing that surprised me about Andrew Selby was how little exposure he was getting for such a talented ad exciting fighter, he was, and I'm sure he still is, an absolute joy to watch. I remember Carl Frampton saying that if he was a couple of weights higher the World would be going mad over him. At the age of 30 time is running out and I suspect Eddie Hearn will do all he can to keep him away from Edwards for as long as he can and keep this X Factor thing going. Within 2 years I think we'll be looking at a World Champion though, I really hope so.

2. TBC-ASAP

TBC-ASAP Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 7, 2017
    He is fighting Jay Harris? Assume this will go on Warrens August card

3. EJC83

Jan 20, 2019
    Before Selby's defeat I saw that Harris was made mandatory for the British Title but I doubt it will be his next fight, an all Wales fight would be decent though. On the subject of Harris, looks very good and recently beat Edwards last opponent, Angel Moreno.

4. TBC-ASAP

Sep 7, 2017
    Warren won the purse bid a couple weeks back for the British title

5. EJC83

Jan 20, 2019
    Do you think it will definitely happen though, Selby v Harris? I'm really not so sure, I thought he'd have a couple of less challenging fights first, just to get back into things. Harris is a very tough opponent to be facing when you're coming back from your first loss, injuries and a lack of focus. I'd like to see him rematch Aguilar in the near future.

6. TBC-ASAP

Sep 7, 2017
    No idea but neither pulled out of the bids. So hopefully

EJC83 likes this.
  7. EJC83

Jan 20, 2019
    It would be a very exciting fight, Harris looks decent and I think, given the strength of the division, he has a real chance. Defeat against Selby probably wouldn't harm his career too much, defeat for Selby, on the other hand, would probably spell the end, given his age and his psychological issues. I'd back Selby to win it on points but it wouldn't be easy.

8. TBC-ASAP

Sep 7, 2017
    Would make a cracking main event in Wales or a very good co main somewhere else

EJC83 likes this.
  9. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Selby with no doubt has the talent to win a world title and showed balls going to box in Mexico city. He needs to get in the right frame of mind and he could make a real impact, I think he beats Charlie Edwards and it's a fight I would like to see get made.

EJC83 likes this.
  10. stittyb

stittyb Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Personally I think a world title is a step too far for him, even in a weak division. He's a better Jamie Conlon in my opinion. Silky skills when he puts it together, he can land 3-4 shots and roll out to the side.

Other times he throws 3-4 shots, drops his hands, admires his work then moves back in straight lines and takes 3 or 4 in return. I find myself shaking my head saying, what are you doing man!?

He doesn't seem to have the durability for upper levels, same as Conlan - hence my comparison.

11. Trafford

Trafford Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2018
    Hasn’t got time for a couple more pess challenging fights. He will be 31 if he took those first in a division where most fighters find it difficult to hit the weight as they get older.

From his point of view if he can’t beat Harris for the British. He ain’t going to win a world title. Beating Harris puts him right back in the mix.

His lack of promotion is simply his own fault for not doing a deal with a major promoter. He’s not on National TV, rarely on big cards and as no one has a vested interest in him he rarely gets spoken about similar to Lee.

As he has no real name value or a belt he brings nothing to the table based on the fact he’s a dangerous fighter. The likes of Edwards don’t need him as the payday would be better to unify.

12. Boxing Gloves

Boxing Gloves Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Very talented and can win a title for sure but he needs to be focused, active and surrounded by the right people/managed properly.

13. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Ship. Sailed.

stittyb likes this.
  14. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    His loyalty to Sanigar has cost him big time . That last fight was a joke, talk about not been looked after. He was fighting at altitude and made the trip a few days before the event, he was destined to lose before he even set off, Sanigar should drop his head in Shame.
    Signing with mtk is a great move for him but he's racing against the clock now. Knock8ng on the door at 31yr old in a division that suits the younger men is all uphill for him now.
    If he dedicates himself wholeheartedly for the next year, with the backing of Mtk I could see him picking up a belt

15. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    There are so many today and added every couple of months now that I'm beginning to believe even Patel can win a belt (aka world title).