Anthony Joshua has little to no chance in the rematch (serious post)

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by notjustacasual, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Citizen Smith

Citizen Smith Active Member Full Member

Jul 12, 2019
    Over last 20 years, 67% of winners of the first fight, win the rematch. Ruiz is available at 5/2 - two and a half times your money for a fight he should statistically win two and a half times out of four. Looking solely at that, Ruiz's odds are a gift.

UKboxingfan, 305th and im sparticus like this.
  2. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    A.J isn't a fighter, he's an athlete that's a boxer. If he gets this fight in the u.k I think he'll best ruiz. If it's outside of the u.k im going with ruiz. A.j needs all the percentages he can get now and fighting out of his comfort zone will tip the scales too far imo

305th likes this.
  3. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Tony Dosh just has to go out and flatten the mobile potato - no need to waste time.

Stick it on the pudding and pummel him until he begs for his next burger.

YearZero likes this.
  4. Gazanta87

Gazanta87 Member Full Member

May 18, 2019
    I'm going to go for AJ to throw the 2 punch combo that put Ruiz down and Howard Foster to do what he does best.

chico g and 305th like this.
  5. Tyson Furry

Tyson Furry Member Full Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Not sure what you mean, yes he’s an athlete, but to win titles, survive knock downs, defend belts - you have to be a fighter. He’s not a supreme technician - but up to Ruiz, he’s done pretty well avoiding danger, generally by KO - a pretty effective way of fighting.

6. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    I favour AJ in the rematch because he didnt look right the first time, and because he will have a full camp to prepare for Ruiz. He has all the tools to win the rematch, and just needs to execute. It is not like Ruiz has bladdering power or is going to overwhelm him with volume, so even though AJ gets caught, he should be able to win a comfortable decision. Ruiz looks durable enough himself to go the full 12

7. Citizen Smith

Jul 12, 2019
    Since he fought Vlad he's spoken a few times about not wanting to go to the trenches. It's always along the lines of "If I have to keep going to the well in every fight then I'll just give up. Why do I need it?"

After Vlad he had a right dust up with Takam as well. If we look at AJ's first 14 opponents he's just running through them and blasting them out in 3 rounds or less; 12 of them in rounds one or two. Also to note and pointed out by a Youtuber today, his Olympic Gold was over 3 rounds. A pattern emerges.

His first proper fight was against Whyte and it's since Vlad that he's been pushed into late rounds in every fight. Maybe he just doesn't want the heat anymore? He's said as much in more then one interview.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    chico g likes this.
  8. Gomo

Gomo Active Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2018
    I was convinced David haye would beat bellew in the rematch. He was injured, he didn't take it seriously enough, underestimated him. I thought he was a level above and just got it wrong.

Its pretty much the same with AJ Ruiz, so history and logic says that Ruiz will win and probably even more convincingly.

Let's be honest takam and povetkin both exposed him he just managed to scrape through. Ruiz is awfull for him.

To me AJ looked better 3-4 years ago he seemed more athletic, lately he seems so stiff. It's quite possible he has peaked already and is now on a slow decline. I can only see him getting slower and more robotic over the years, he's going to turn into Joe Joyce without the chin.

Ruiz should win although im hoping I'm wrong and he is the real deal after all who had a bad night.

9. notjustacasual

notjustacasual Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Jun 3, 2019
    I think he stopped learning and developing after he beat Martin.

Made his money and lost the heart for it then.

He's been going through the motions and getting by on size, Intimidation, ref help and natural ability since then.

Mcracken is **** and overrated as well.

10. Citizen Smith

Jul 12, 2019
    I can't comment about Mcracken's training ability other than in one training video where he was working AJ and on the pads. AJ's clubbing him and Mcracken is shouting "Look at that power! Who can take that power?!", which seems very strange to me, to be filling your fighter's head with thoughts that there's no one on the planet who can take your shots. Then Andy turns up, takes AJ's shots and gives him a bucket-load back.

Eddie also lets a few things slip in his vids. Before they'd even set up Miller as AJ's US debut, Eddie mentioned that AJ had asked why they needed to go to the US as he was happy in the UK.

11. TonyHayers

TonyHayers Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 1, 2018
    That makes the mistake of not taking odds into account for all of the other fights which make up those statistics.

Would be interesting to see how many of those rematch wins were wins for the guy who was the outsider in the first fight. Heavyweight title upsets which prompted a rematch would include Lewis against McCall and Rahman, Klitschko against Brewster, Holyfield against Moorer. None of the outsiders would have made you a penny backing them in the rematch. It would seem the percentage figure is high because most favourites usually win, and if there's a rematch, they usually win again.

Citizen Smith likes this.
  12. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    You were one of the many mugths sucked in by David Haye to buy PPVs with lines of 'I am fully fit and feeling the best I ever have' and 'Bellew will fight the real David Haye in the ring this time'. The PPV Mugths fall for it time and again.

The true boxthing fan was fully aware that David Haye retired in 2013 with career ending injuries - these injuries could not be reversed.

There are many informed posters on here that know their onions such as @Twentyman, @channy, @Hattonmad, @lencoreastside. These posters will give you an honest realistic appraisal on here even though you may not agree with every post.

You did not get it simply wrong with Haye - you were mugged for PPV money.

channy and Hattonmad like this.
  13. Citizen Smith

Jul 12, 2019
    That's a fair point, though to counter, Haye was 1/6 for the first Bellew bout, then 4/9 for the rematch and was beaten badly. Holyfield huge underdog but a massive gamble against Tyson 1 and Tyson, fave again and blew up in the rematch. I guess we're cherry picking here though, so it'll be interesting to see some finer detail and I'll try to update them here.

TonyHayers likes this.
  14. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Thanks for the kind words, bud :)

Citizen Smith likes this.
  15. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    The difference between a fighter and a boxer is heart.
    Someone like froch is a good example of heart and there is many others . They could be losing every round and getting pummeled but they will still be in there trying to get the win.
    Now don't get me wrong, that doesn't mean that someone like a.j will cur at the slightest bit of pressure, they still carry on under pressure but it's there mind that's pushing them not their heart.
    I think it was srl who said I can show someone how to step, how to jab & move. How to punch and how to defend but I can't teach them heart. You can just tell with a.j he's a little bit like klit when someone puts it on him.
    Klit is a good example, he was an athlete that turned his hand to boxing but he did really well. You can still do really really well in this capacity and you can get nowhere as a true fighter, you still need skills and physical attributes.
    Tbh I'm sure you knew all this, you probably just didn't click onto how I was defining a fighter relative to a boxer.

Twentyman and Tyson Furry like this.