Anthony Joshua: I’m an elite level fighter, Wilder is not

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by xnico, Jun 23, 2021.

1. sid

sid Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 2, 2013
    I agree here, would be nice to see both Fury & Wilder face better opposition,AJ is more elite level on who he's faced to now.

BubblesUK and Nonito Smoak like this.
  2. zulander

zulander Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Was Roberto Duran elite?

TipNom likes this.
  3. Dodgy Syrup

Dodgy Syrup Active Member banned Full Member

Mar 20, 2019
    Don't you mean, Fury aside, Wilder has never fought anyone as good as Ruiz?

Are you saying Ortiz is better than Ruiz?

Breazeale?

Let's face it, Wilder has a resume that consists of 90% nobodies, 8% fringe world level, 2% top tier.

That's an embarrassment.

Joshua, for all the stuff thrown at him has fought Whyte, Parker, Klitchko, Povetkin, Ruiz, Pulev, and is due to face Usyk.

He's also beat Takam, Breazele, Martin, all of whom are people Wilder fought after AJ or not at all.

Those names alone are much better than anyone Wilder has fought, again, excluding Fury.

In fact, one might say that Joshua has consistently faced guys at or around his level, and hasn't ducked people in anywhere near the manner Wilder has.

AJs resume is a thousand times more impressive than Wilder when you consider the ranking of the guys he faced- and he fought guys considered to be better than him, and then took them on one after the after with no lazy gimme fights to tick over.

No Schwartz or Wallin, no heart bypass outpatients.

I'm not a Joshua fan - I just believe in being fair - and that's my honest appraisal.

Nobody can honestly say Wilder has taken on some of the better fighters around at that moment, and certainly not over and over again.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    lordlosh, BubblesUK and sid like this.
  4. Odins beard

Odins beard Fentanyl is one hell of a drug.... Full Member

Apr 13, 2014
    AJ is the overall better fighter technically but I’ve always liked Wilder in a H2H and early.

MidniteProwler and TipNom like this.
  5. zulander

zulander Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 17, 2006
    I kinda agree...
    It's the speed that does it.. that and the fact Wilder only needs 1... Joshusa has shown if you hurt him and dont finish him off when you have the chance, Whyte, Wlad spring to mine he will probably take you out.
    I dont see Joushua being able to outbox Wilder with movement like Fury did in fight 1, and although he could walk Wilder down would he have the confidence to do it...Fury had already danced with Wilder once, he knew what to expect and feel 2nd time around and adjusted.
    AJ won't have that expeience...its a fight we need to see.

I think AJ is better in most areas that Wilder - but at the same time i can see Wilder landing the bomb to finish it.

TipNom likes this.
  6. iii

iii Boxing Addict Full Member

May 3, 2016
    Ha Ha Oooh that was a low blow Wizzy Ha Ha fair its the ones you dont see that knock you down , fair play that man!!

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  7. iii

May 3, 2016
    To be fair who can say that Wilder has better chops ?
    What i can say for Wilder is he was getting a beating & being dismantled by Fury & there was no quit in the man at all...where as AJ was practically crying to the ref in bewilderment & never really argued when it was stopped ...heart of a Champ goes to Wilder & Fury ...

8. Odins beard

Odins beard Fentanyl is one hell of a drug.... Full Member

Apr 13, 2014
    I don’t like how AJ reacts when he’s hit solidly.

I see as a bully in a way in which when he’s on top he looks at times tremendous, when people start fighting back at times he freezes and looks a little lost.

Id love to see the fight and I’m a fan of neither so it’s all good.

zulander likes this.
  9. xnico

xnico New Member banned Full Member

Nov 6, 2020
    “Elite fighter” that has never faced the number 1 or 2 in the division LOL

10. Dodgy Syrup

Mar 20, 2019
    That freak one off shot is the only thing that keeps Wilder from being humiliated.

Take that away and nobody would favour him against AJ.

Joshua is bigger, stronger, better technically, and would eventually break Wilder down and finish him.

But, Wilder does have that one shot and so people never write him off when they otherwise probably would/should.

zulander and BubblesUK like this.
  11. Boxing2019

Boxing2019 If you want peace, prepare war. Full Member

Jul 22, 2019
    Wilder has not fundamentals he cannot be an elite fighter. Facts

BubblesUK likes this.
  12. iii

May 3, 2016
    Are you mad???

13. Dodgy Syrup

Mar 20, 2019
    Well, he can't face Wilder if Wilder runs and hides.

Fury was on, wasn't it?

He was set to face him...then we all know what happened.

Besides, are you saying none of the guys AJ has faced were ranked number one at any time?

lordlosh likes this.
  14. Surrix

Surrix Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2020
    Yeah.
    However looks that he is improved after Ruiz I st fight.
    He does have also a lot of advantages for current HW division: he is very strong and athletic, does have decent power in both hands.

Wilder is not enough heavy to bully him, press him back or maul him. More than this: like A.J , Wilder is not a clinch fighter per se. Them does not likes this.

Imagine for example A.J coming in at 250 lbs for example, with very low fat ( A.J does have very low fat%), using high extended guard and coming to Wilder.
    Here A.J will have also both hands very dangerous and not that easy to hit his chin. Wilder really needs also distance to get power in his punch, 1 very dangerous hand in general.

I think unless A.J will start to gass out he is very difficult opponent for everyone.

Dodgy Syrup likes this.
  15. Bigcheese

Bigcheese Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 7, 2015
    Oh, I agree. I think AJ is the better fighter in almost every aspect, wilder just has a bit more heart and cardio.