Anthony Joshua runs 100m in 11.5 second video. Most athletic heavyweight of all time.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by James Smith, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Birmingham

Birmingham Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Mo Farah aint a 100 metre runner, no gauge. For AJ to run the 100 metre as quick as your saying he'd have to drop serious weight and start training with the Eubanks, and only then do I give him any hope bro !

2. Birmingham

Birmingham Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Sounding like he might be top 5 h2h at least with that track record

3. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Noted but they are very few. When you look at the all time list, you have the outlier Bolt, then 5-10 Tyson Gay, 5-11 Yohan Blake, 6-1 Justin Gatlin, 6-3 Powell, 5-8 Nesta Carter, 5-9 Mo Greene, 5-9 Steve Mullings, 5-9 Christian Coleman... Bolt is just a freak and an outlier. Powell is... well, let's say he is tall and doesn't do well at tests (nor does Gatlin)...

And just to beat this dead horse a little more... Jonah Lomu, all 6-5 and 260 of him, supposedly ran a 10.7 100 meters. If that is true, and I have heard it repeated many times, that is just unbelievable. That is another true freak of nature.

Entaowed likes this.
  4. Cecil

Cecil Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 22, 2015
    No, it proves he can run 100 metres faster than any other heavyweight.
    For athleticism in the boxing ring he's a plodder compared to by far the most athletic heavyweight of all time Muhammad Ali.

Caliboxing and Loudon like this.
  5. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Didn't Corrie Sanders used to run the 100 in a similar time? That's the more impressive achievement to me considering he was never a cut guy to put it mildly.

EDIT: ah just saw that several people already pointed that out.

6. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone banned Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    I ran 8.76 as a 14year old

Lady Girl likes this.
  7. sean

sean pale peice of pig`s ear Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    not sure of his height but this years uk 100m champ reece prescod who will be running next week world champs looks very tall / maybe because he is lanky he might look taller than he is.

bolt of 5 years plus ago was unbeleivable / for the last few years he has been running on 80%

lep if you can run 8 seconds let me be your manager / i could give you specsaver advertising on your back to take the **** out of your opposition as they would need strong glasses to see the small print the 10 meters you would be ahead.

8. Loudon

Loudon VIP Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Based upon his videos, that nut thinks that Joshua was a faster fighter than Ali.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    Cecil likes this.
  9. Angler Andrew

Angler Andrew Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 28, 2016
    Lol yeah neither have I,what Wilder fanboys don't get is that it's not like we just want to hate the guy,I know he's low skills wise but on the account of him being a super heavy I had beating Povetkin and let's say he did fight Ortiz I wouldn't be surprised if he won that cause those super heavyweights are just different animals.
    Just can't keep making excuses for him as there's always something which the sceptic in me wonders if that's the way the WBC want it and make it just so we can all say it's not Wilders fault lol.
    Stiverne,Ortiz aside he hasn't been fighting nearly enough infact I'll go out on a limb like I did with Broner I knew it and called it with Broner and said he'd do the same as he always does and with Wilders situation my instincts are telling me the same in that he will defo not fight Ortiz not next because of the Buffet King and not after that either as they're both stable mates and which promoter is gonna put his two champs together,wake up people it's a psy op and I'll take a ban if I'm proved wrong.

BCS8 likes this.
  10. iamtheman

iamtheman Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 22, 2010
    I'm not 100% sure it was electronic or not but it was a school meet which usually are electronically timed. I think you're right though, 10.50 - 10.30 with some slimming down of his upper body sounds realistic (after years of track specific training). If he were some random guy with no to little training background (like Degrasse was) who ran 11.53 I'd be more generous but we're talking an already very strong and powerful pro athlete. Newbie Grade 9 guys in my province can run 11.50. and the 6'6 height is really pushing it.

Entaowed likes this.
  11. iamtheman

iamtheman Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 22, 2010
    You can't compare the sub 4 minute mile to the sub 10 mark. The argument against it is in the stats. Last year, according to IAAF rankings, over 60 athletes went sub 4 mins. Only 25 went sub 10. Endurance can be more significantly developed than speed can.

Potential for elite level sprinting speed is almost purely genetic and very specific at that. Athletes can be freaks of nature in a myriad of ways - being tall, strong, powerful, having great coordination, agile, etc - those gifts are a dime a dozen, but none of them presupposes the genetic gift of being able to put massive amounts of force into the ground in such a short amount of time, which is really the most significant factor of sprinting speed.

Not to mention that the nature of most team sports has these athletes relying on skill based performance. Many of them don't even have to be genetically gifted athletes to excel. The only team sports I can agree with you on is American football and rugby, given that these sports value speed in their assessments and drafting. And even then, we're probably talking mostly 10.30 - 10.20 type times for the most gifted ones, given how that sub 10 mark is such a difficult feat. That won't get you out of the heats at the world champs or the Olympics. And you really can't brush off the biomechanical aspect of sprinting when it comes to height. There's a reason Bolt is considered a rarity.

12. S.K

S.K Active Member banned Full Member

Jan 7, 2017
    Usain bolt has already broken all of these rules?

13. JackSilver

JackSilver Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Just saw a recording of the 100m world athletics final and you have twice caught drugs cheat Gatlin winning, beating the never caught with drugs Bolt. The massive British crowd are booing Gatlin like he's a mass murderer and at the same time, worshipping the beaten Bolt.

This is why Joshua will and can never be revealed as being using drugs. The damage to British sport and to the entire holier than thou nation itself will be earth shattering.

Ken Ashcroft likes this.
  14. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Calvin Smith in 1983 was the last world record holder to not fail a drugs test during his career.

The following 100 metres world record holders have all failed one or numerous tests:

Ben Johnson
    Carl Lewis
    Leroy Burrell
    Donovan Baily
    Maurice Green
    Tim Montgomery
    Asafa Powell
    Justin Gatlin

Its pretty clear to me that its physically impossible to run quicker than 9.90 seconds unless you are juicing.

Usain Bolt sticks out like a sore thumb as having not publically failed a drugs test and going 9.57. I am sure he is like Carl Lewis, and has failed a test but its been covered up because his sponsorship is keeping the dying sport of track and field alive. The failed test will come out when he has retired.

Being a fast 100 metre doesnt mean you are a complete athlete, that involves a lot more than running in a straight line fast for a short amount of time.

Ken Ashcroft likes this.
  15. lewis gassed

lewis gassed The Bronze Dosser Full Member

Nov 24, 2013
    He's booted? Was my new favorite member...:(

Todd498 likes this.