Anthony Joshua soon to vacate a belt?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Jurgen, Dec 22, 2019.

1. SambaKing1993

SambaKing1993 Don't do it Zachary! Full Member

Sep 17, 2018
    If Parker is a top five heavyweight then Jesus Christ, this is the worst era in heavyweight history by a country mile.

But then again, you are wrong.

Wizbit1013 and Inglis_1 like this.
  2. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Top 5 fighters? What, active boxers, active Heavyweights? If he's in the top 5 boxers that means that he's better than some of the following,

Alvarez
    Lomachenko
    Manny
    Golovkin
    Spence Jnr
    Usyk
    Wilder
    Fury
    Joshua
    Beterbiev
    Inoue

I think that's enough. Parker is a top 10 Heavyweight, no more. Povetkin and Pulev dealt with Hughie far easier than he did and that was a clearly rusty Hughie. Joshua and Whyte beat him, Wilder would ice him, Fury would dance around him stroking his face and claim a UD, Usyk would school him in my opinion, then there's Ortiz and Chisora who wouldn't exactly be an easy nights work for him and potentially could beat him.

Inglis_1 likes this.
  3. Mitch87

Mitch87 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Parker has a better resume than the likes Wilder and Ortiz.

velagod and Scissors like this.
  4. Inglis_1

Inglis_1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 4, 2018
    Lol Parker is from the same country as myself and even I barely rate him in the top 10. He's had some ok wins but nothing special. He's decent, but a level below the elite and will never get another title again. He benefitted from Tyson Fury's party lifestyle in the middle part of the decade.

5. micker1

micker1 Member Full Member

May 31, 2010
    I thought parker was very unlucky against whyte. Whyte wasn't in a rush for a rematch. Parker also has a win over Ruiz I would say easily top 10 heavyweight possibly top 5.

Top 5 would be in no particular order

Fury
    Joshua
    Wilder
    Potentially usyk
    After that there are 4 or 5 that are hard to separate
    Whyte\ parker\ruiz\ hunter\povetkin\ ortiz.

Probably forgot an obvious one.

Scissors likes this.
  6. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    I think rather than thinking of where fighters are ranked in terms of a number, it’s probably more accurate to put them in bands/groups...

For example...

Upper band

Joshua, Wilder, Fury

Fringe band

Usyk, Whyte, Pulev, Hunter, Ruiz, Parker, Joyce, Bakole etc

Gatekeepers

Chisora, Povetkin etc

Obviously they can move up and down these ranks. At the moment there’s no point having someone ranked 5th and someone ranked 9th cos realistically there’s nothing truly separating them.

7. TonyHayers

TonyHayers Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 1, 2018
    I think the problem with that is that it suggests anyone in the fringe group is considered superior to the gatekeeper group.

I'm not sure that's fair to be honest. I'd not be shocked whatsoever if someone like Povetkin still had the beating of Parker or Joyce.

The top three are clearly well beyond anyone else, but for me there are significant differences between someone like Bakole and someone like Whyte.

8. Twentyman

Apr 20, 2016
    Agreed, they were just examples and obviously subjective. It was the idea of having the different bands that I was trying to put across. Some might put Usyk and Whyte in the top band or whatever, but I think having bands or groups makes it easier for us fans to categorise them.

9. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    I think the best way to describe a gatekeeper is dependant on the boxers ambition

Titles or paydays

Delboy fits the bill perfectly

Price too (although more a wooden door than gate that he holds the keys too)

Twentyman likes this.
  10. Twentyman

Apr 20, 2016
    Agreed. I think of a gatekeeper as a fighter who’s best days are behind him, who’s realistically not going to get into a mandatory position or get a voluntary, who promoters can use as a measuring stick for the house fighter. Chisora, Povetkin, Ortiz, Breazeale, Martin, Washington, Kabayel etc.

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  11. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    I hope Povetkin can spring one last surprise before he retires. I know he's cheated in the past but I kind of like him and his style, he strikes me as the kind of fighter that could hurt Tyson Fury, catching him off guard and walking through some of his feather fisted punches.

Heisenberg and Scissors like this.
  12. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    I’m not sure about Tyson Fury but I’d definitely back Povetkin to spring a surprise somewhere.

EJC83 likes this.
  13. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2017
    Lots of sound bites from AJ this week suggesting one of his belts will be vacated. Parker’s team saying they would drop all plans if title becomes available and so the WBO seem certain to order 1 v 2 ie Usyk v Parker. I’d prefer to see the far more active Chisora get a title shot but if not, Chisora v Povetkin as main support to Usyk and Parker would be brutal affair

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    Scissors likes this.
  14. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    Wpuld be hilarious of he vacated then WBO said ok **** you and attached it to the Wilder Fury fight.

15. ryanm8655

ryanm8655 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Would be funny but not happening.