Anthony Joshua vs Deontay Wilder 2020

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by MannyMMA, Dec 7, 2019.

Who wins?

1. Joshua by KO

29 vote(s)
    49.2%
  2. Joshua by Decision

7 vote(s)
    11.9%
  3. Wilder by KO

18 vote(s)
    30.5%
  4. Wilder by Decision

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 50/50

5 vote(s)
    8.5%
  1. MannyMMA

MannyMMA Canelo fans are male swifties Full Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Based on their last performance who wins in a potential fight next year?

2. Dance84

Dance84 Unicorn and seastar land Full Member

Oct 11, 2017
    Tough to say still ......

Scissors and Ironmanmt like this.
  3. Richmondpete

Richmondpete Real fighters do road work Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Wilder ko is the only out come I can see. Joshua won't be able to potshot Wilder and avoid an onlsaught the way he did tonight because he won't have any of the physical advantages he had over Ruiz

Aussie Invader, devon2 and jmb1356 like this.
  4. Dance84

Dance84 Unicorn and seastar land Full Member

Oct 11, 2017
    Joshua needs to fight the way he did against Klitschko

sasto and Toney F*** U like this.
  5. Geo1122

Geo1122 Active Member Full Member

Jul 7, 2017
    Come off it, you know that Joshua was not going to start trading with Ruiz, who’s a pure pressure fighter, at home in the pocket. Fool me once and all that.

Of course if Wilder lands that big right, it’s likely game over. But based on their fights I’d wager Wilder is on the back foot, and Joshua actively tries to get in the pocket where, against Wilder, he has all the advantages in that regard.

RB1702, MannyMMA and sid like this.
  6. Richmondpete

Oct 22, 2015
    All of the advantages in the pocket? Joshua is useless up close. I do not think he will trade with Wilder. Ruiz is not a pressure fighter at all. He's a stationary counter puncher who Joshua had to resort to shooting one shot at a time while on the run because he knew he couldn't trade with him. Joshua is a good fighter but I don't think he has the balls necissary to beat Wilder

7. Jacko

Jacko Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Joshua is a pretty decent fighter up close. Since the Wlad fight he has fought mainly on the outside, especially last night. However, before the Wlad fight, he has shown on many occasions he can fight up close. He dropped Ruiz in their first fight from a short, sharp left hook up close. He also has a good uppercut. Adding to this, Wilder doesn't do in fighting. He is basically a less skilled Wlad; fights on the outside predominantly throwing the jab and straight right. He is less cautious than Wlad, but still a generally cautious fighter.

Now, the two main problems for Joshua are:

1) Avoiding Wilder's right hand. Joshua, whilst showing better defensive skills last night, is still not good enough to avoid Wilder's right hand for 12 rounds. If Fury couldn't, then Joshua certainly can't.

2) Getting inside on Wilder to unload. Wilder certainly isn't technical, but he is long and has quick feet. Joshua does have the better jab, so he would have to come in behind his jab and mix it up between throwing one-twos, and three/four combinations. Like I said, Wilder doesn't fight on the inside, and he isn't a counter puncher, so it is doable for Joshua.

All in all, tough fight to call. If Joshua fights Wilder like he fought last night, he gets beat. If he fights like he used to, he stands a decent change of winning, but he has to get Wilder out of there as Wilder will eventually catch him.

Geo1122 likes this.
  8. Richmondpete

Oct 22, 2015
    He's going to take some bombs. He won't stand up to them. I'm fairly sure. I agree he's a good fighter and could win. I just dont see it

9. Jacko

Jacko Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 25, 2008
    He definitely won't stand up to the bombs. That's why I think he has to jump on Wilder early. Try and bomb him out before Wilder gets in his groove and connects.

10. RB1702

RB1702 Well-Known Member Full Member

May 7, 2020
    God this was such a terrible take lmao.

11. Toney F*** U

Toney F*** U Boxing junkie Full Member

Oct 16, 2019
    Joshua by ko, the journeymen wilder regularly fights don’t seem to have much problems getting on the inside and they’re usually much smaller than him, imagine someone near his height and much more skilled. All Joshua has to worry about is one big telegraphed right hand because wilder would be way too scared to open up and let his hands go. Meanwhile wilder has to worry about combinations, footwork, the jab, speed, and power. Joshua should have no problem beating wilder. Also wilder has no defense and is one of the most off balance fighters in history. He has more heart I’ll give him that but that’ll just prolong his beating. Wouldn’t give wilder more than a punchers chance

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  12. Mike_b

Mike_b Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 9, 2020
    It's the windmill er versus the non killer. The bodybuilder versus the pencil legs. It would be s shootout, all of deontay s fights end in ko or witj knockdown. Aj is a very hard puncher give him credit.

13. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    This. LOL at guys thinking Wilder is gonna whoop AJ

RB1702 likes this.
  14. chatty

chatty Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Depends on what tactics Joshua uses. Wilder can only fight one wayx get in close and he cant fight inside and has no leverage on his punches which essentially takes all his danger away.

If Joshua is willing topress he'll KO Wilder. If he ipts to box and stay safe he'll box his head off but theres a very real chance Wilder will land a windmill and finish him.

15. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Fury showed the blue print to beat Wilder. Push him back behind a solid jab so he can't set to throw the right hand. Something Joshua is even more adept at doping than Fury and once Joshua gets in close he won't just clinch Wilder he light him up on the inside. Joshua has always been a bad style match up for Wilder. Joshua KO's him inside 3 rounds.

Only way Wilder wins is if Joshua gets too tentative. I always thought going into the Wlad fight he had to get off first and press him and instead Joshua tried to box him and came off 2nd best. So it's not impossible Joshua fights too tentatively, if he does that he gives Wilder opportunity and space to throw the right hand and that's where an upset could happen.