Anthony Joshua vs Deontay Wilder shocking size difference

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by DimitarB, Feb 17, 2019.

1. DimitarB

DimitarB New Member Full Member

Jan 14, 2019
    Instead of posting boring numbers just watch the video below. It demonstrates the difference very well.
    What do you think?
    Is there really a chance for Wilder with so much weight disadvantage?
    This content is protected

305th and chico g like this.
  2. kostya by ko

kostya by ko Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Wilder has more tattoos tho.

3. chico g

chico g What are you staring at Mr Trump?! hahaha! Full Member

Oct 18, 2008
    But Deontay's lean muscular. The bodybuilder is just water sack muscle!

Gennady likes this.
  4. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    He has the power to compete and that makes him dangerous, but obviously if he gets in close vs Joshua he's gonna get man handled and rag dolled.

But it's the skill difference that's going to be the most evident when or if they ever fight, not the 40lbs weight difference. We've seen Wilder out boxed a few times now, while Joshua isn't as skilled as Fury in that regard he's way better than Washington and better than Ortiz in this regard.

Even if Wilder can land a bomb, does he hit any harder than a 240lbs Wlad? I don't think so, so Joshua likely gets up and then we saw vs Fury how easy Wilder is to counter when he goes for the finish. Fury had him stunned both times after being dropped, imagine if it's Joshua landing those counters and not Fury.

Doppleganger, SmackDaBum and velagod like this.
  5. VicMcCoy

VicMcCoy Member Full Member

Nov 5, 2018
    With his power of course there is, huge equaliser. I think he’s a smaller man than Usyk too and people bang on about him being too small to move up.

6. hpsauce91

hpsauce91 Member Full Member

Oct 17, 2018
  7. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018

I'm no expert on these things but is it possible there's been some image manipulation in that picture? I could swear Eddie Hearn looks a little heavier in the IFL interviews.

chico g and DimitarB like this.
  8. DimitarB

DimitarB New Member Full Member

Jan 14, 2019
    I haven't noticed anything but now that you mention it there seems to be something wrong. You are sharp-eyed fella! xD

Holler likes this.
  9. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Wilder is essentially a six foot seven cruiserweight judging by his fight night weights in his last two fights. The thing that makes him dangerous isn't his size, but his speed and reach coupled with his total disregard about incoming fire when throwing shots. Reckless fighters like that have come along in the HW division before, but never with the level of gangliness that Wilder brings. They're usually shorter fighters like Haye, or Hide or Huck, which limits their effectiveness. Wilder is kind of unique in that regard.

10. It's Ovah

Sep 5, 2016
    Not really. Sometimes size can be deceptive, and you need to see two fighters side by side to realise the difference. Look at Joshua standing alongside Carl Froch. Froch is a big guy, but Joshua absolutely dwarfs him and makes him look like an emaciated little boy. Fact of the matter is that Joshua is an absolute tank of a man while Wilder, although technically a heavyweight and a similar height to Joshua, is extremely light for his height.

Look at this video of when Jarrell Miller met Eddie Hearn. Hearn is a very large man himself, but looks absolutely tiny next to Miller.

This content is protected

DimitarB, lepinthehood and Holler like this.
  11. DoubleJab666

DoubleJab666 Dot, dot, dot... Full Member

Nov 9, 2015
    Five seconds short of wasting a whole minute of my life....

12. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    215 is 15 pounds north of cruiserweight, but I get your point. While Wilder has a heavyweights shoulders and upper chest, he's got the legs of a newborn deer. Just 18". My neck is 18".

I think Wilder would have lost to Oritz if Ortiz was 2 years younger and not 38-41. But Ortiz at his age gassed. Wilder should have lost on points to Fury.

Gangily, but fast with a powerful punch is a good way to describe him. I also think he's a bit of a belt milker.

Birmingham likes this.
  13. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018
    The other point is that the ring itself can have a distorting effect on your mind's ability to gauge the size of a fighter. Take Povetkin for instance who was well known in these parts to be a midget. In the ring it looked as if he was well over six feet, but that's an optical illusion. The reality is that Povetkin is the size of an average garden gnome, Wilder is so slight that he needs to wear concrete diving boots in a strong gale and Antony Joshua can only be brought into Wembley stadium by the use of cranes more commonly employed in the construction of nuclear power plants.

West of Hollywood and It's Ovah like this.
  14. gdm

gdm Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Yea AJ’s hgh gut alone weights more than a wilder. Wilder can’t box and is wastly overrated , but if old shot wlad could put AJ down , I’m sure wilder can put him down and maybe out.

15. It's Ovah

Sep 5, 2016
    I was at the weigh in for Joshua vs Povetkin at the Business Design Centre and it was shocking how small Povetkin was in person. The crowd actually gasped when he came out onto the stage in his tracksuit bottoms since he was at least head shorter than anyone there, including the ring girls. He ended up needing to be helped onto the scales by his team members as he was having some issues doing it by himself. Joshua had no such issues, although he kept toppling over and having to remount. All in all a fantastic experience.

Holler likes this.