Anthony Joshua vs Oleksander Usyk - Prediction and discussion

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Vegan Beast, May 18, 2021.

AJ vs Usyk

Poll closed Oct 15, 2021.
  1. AJ - KO/TKO

62 vote(s)
    39.5%
  2. AJ - Decision

33 vote(s)
    21.0%
  3. Draw

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  4. Usyk - KO/TKO

22 vote(s)
    14.0%
  5. Usyk - Decision.

36 vote(s)
    22.9%
  1. Odins beard

Odins beard Fentanyl is one hell of a drug.... Full Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Whyte arguably lost their first fight and was behind on 2 of the cards at the time of the stoppage in the rematch.

Pulev got a SD iirc, although I thought it was a clear 7-5/8-4 type fight for Pulev.

Usyk lost about 3 rounds. Lunging, windmilling at your opponent whilst getting outboxed does not make a fight close. The Usyk/Chisora fight was only close if you are called Bellew, Smith, Hearns or literally do not know what you are watching.

Also using a walking punchbag like Chisora as a measuring stick as to how Usyk would do against AJ (a type of fighter who will suit him better) is stupid, especially when only 3 fights ago he got bounced off the canvas and quit against a morbidly obese Ruiz who isn’t a big puncher.

Finkel, FastSmith7 and UnleashtheFURY like this.
  2. Odins beard

Apr 13, 2014
    And you have just proved my point.

3. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Puleve almost got robbed. Watch the fight yourself and you'll realize he schooled Chisora. Pulev made easy work of Chisora the entire fight while Chsiora took 4 rounds of Usyk. Pulev lost 2 rounds at the most and if you want to be generous as hell you can give Chisora 3

4. Odins beard

Apr 13, 2014
    Ive watched the fight, as I said I thought it was a 7-5/8-4 fight for Pulev.

5. MarkusFlorez99

Jan 13, 2021
    No way in hell was it that close. Chisora won 2 rounds dude. Pulev beat him with ease. Even the online fans scorecards agree

6. Vegan Beast

Vegan Beast Grandpappy Ortiz Full Member

Aug 19, 2020
    I think Ruiz just landed the perfect punch on the night and AJ lost his equilibrium, because has taken harder shots than that and survived. The shot Whyte landed with that left hook looked a lot deadlier than the shot Ruiz hit him with.

He took a mean left hook vs Whyte, and a strong Right hand from Wladmir and survived.

I also don't think Usyk hits as harder as any of the above fighters.

AJ has to risk this and KO usyk because he probably wont outbox Usyk, the longer the fight goes on, the more I'll lean towards Usyk winning a decision.

N17 likes this.
  7. Odins beard

Apr 13, 2014
    Okaaayyyy, so again what has this got to do with Usyk v Joshua.

I’d put my house on Usyk beating Pulev.

8. Odins beard

Apr 13, 2014
    If Ruiz doesn’t hit hard or hard enough to hurt Joshua in relation to AJ’s punch resistance, why did AJ literally do everything that he could not to engage with him in the rematch?

9. MarkusFlorez99

Jan 13, 2021
    I would too but i just tried to say that Usyk definitely would not be his best win besides Klitschko, as a matter of fact Povetkin was even more dangerous to Aj than Usyk will be because Aj struggles with short offensive fighters like Ruiz, Povetkin and Takam

10. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Usyk had been inactive for 12 months going into the Chisora fight and had only fought once in just under 2 years (23 months) and that was against very late notice Witherspoon who obviously isn't world class and only came to shell up and survive. That fight wasn't even decent sparring.

And when Arreola fought Fat Andy he was 40 y/o, way past his best and had been inactive for like 20 or 21 months or something, four months longer than Fat Andy.

Chisora just beat AJ's best win over a prime opponent in most people's eyes, including flooring him which AJ couldn't. Chisora also sparked Takam whereas AJ needed a controversial premature stoppage by the ref to get Takam out of there.

And Chisora gives pretty much everyone problems with that relentless aggression, teak-toughness, power, and size and physicality of his and he was essentially Usyk's real HW debut because, as said, Witherspoon only showed up to survive. Chisora isn't an easy out for anyone and even if you're a huge massive punching SHW behemoth it's almost impossible to keep him off of you and deter him from ploughing forwards.

Here's what AJ had to say about sharing a ring with Chisora 11 months prior to Usyk vs Chisora

"I watched the Chisora versus Price fight — I thought 'Why isn't Price controlling Chisora?' Joshua continued to share. "Then I sparred Chisora. The guy is strong, you know. He is no joke. And I give Dillian credit for dealing with him twice. To control Chisora over 12 or 11 rounds takes some doing."

Joshua tabbed Chisora for sparring sessions leading up to his rematch against Andy Ruiz Jr. in December, when he defeated the Mexican fighter via a lopsided unanimous decision to regain his unified world heavyweight titles.

Those sparring sessions ended in mutual respect between Joshua and Chisora.

This content is protected

"Look at Derek's knockouts - they aren't when he lands five shots then the ref jumps in.

"Boom! Artur Szpilka.

"Boom! Carlos Takam.

"He hit them with one shot and knocked them out. You can see he carries one-shot knockout power."

--Anthony Joshua

Tankatron, Oddone, Surrix and 2 others like this.
  11. Odins beard

Apr 13, 2014
    So you believe that a 39yo Pulev is better than Usyk?

12. Vegan Beast

Vegan Beast Grandpappy Ortiz Full Member

Aug 19, 2020
    Because if you don't have to do anything other than jab to win a fight, why take the risk and do anything else?

If AJ can beat someone like Ruiz with one hand tied behind his back, then why not?

Some fighters, like Ruiz, are counter punchers that rely on you coming after them. AJ would just be doing exactly what Ruiz wants him to do.

Tankatron and MarkusFlorez99 like this.
  13. JediPimp007

JediPimp007 Long suffering reader Full Member

May 8, 2006
    Usyk has looked mediocre at heavyweight. He's older, less active and heavier than he was at cruiserweight and fighting against bigger and better opponents. This fight is way to early, but at the same time, he's got little choice at his age. I don't envisage this ending well for him.

14. MarkusFlorez99

Jan 13, 2021
    Depends, Styles make fights. By the eyetest Usyk looks better but it is actually Pulev who is more experienced and more proven at Heavyweight.

15. Odins beard

Apr 13, 2014
    But he obviously respected his power, hence the reason he literally never even tried to engage and pot shotted his way to a wide decision.