Anthony Joshua vs Oleksander Usyk - Prediction and discussion

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Vegan Beast, May 18, 2021.

AJ vs Usyk

Poll closed Oct 15, 2021.
  1. AJ - KO/TKO

62 vote(s)
    39.5%
  2. AJ - Decision

33 vote(s)
    21.0%
  3. Draw

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  4. Usyk - KO/TKO

22 vote(s)
    14.0%
  5. Usyk - Decision.

36 vote(s)
    22.9%
  1. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    I already know, i was just saying Usyk only has 2 fights at heavyweight so i don't see why the fight is 50/50 in most peoples eyes. He's still a little unproven. Usyk has also put on weight and that could hinder him so theres that

2. Surrix

Surrix Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2020
    age impacts a lot. Athletes train and workload is high, there also is wear and tear, rounds accumulated.
    Athletes does have shorter prime than for example laborers and this is not only in combat sport.
    38-41? Not likely, he didn't looked for me in prime also when he had beat then 33 y.o undefeated Pulev.
    I think till 37 y.o ( including ) = most likely yeah.

If Whyte had beat 32 y.o Povetkin he had get from me damn a lot credit. Huck didn't had beat 32 y.o Povetkin and still he does have from me a lot credit.

3. lbarrow

lbarrow Active Member Full Member

Dec 17, 2004
    Pointless talking about chisora doing well against usyk and not against pulev. Firstly because chisora was fitter and more up for usyk fight, secondly usyk won the fight and I dont think was bothered in that fight. Not sure why so many people have said it was tough for him and it's a bad sign. Let's face chisora is a big ****er who can fight and had 36 odd pound over him I still think he won well. A fight with Joshua is very different usyk will not have to worry about running around the ring. Just quick little step around him. I favour Joshua but usyk has a major shout in this fight. What is Joshua's worst asset and usyk s best?? Joshua always gets tired and flat footed between rounds 5 and 9. Usyk with foot speed and movement tires people out. That's his chance that when Joshua is tired to step it up. So yes I think Joshua cause of his size and power but this is a different fight to the chisora fight

4. Caper

Caper How about a fair shake? banned Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Sounds good to me, I'm all for activity within the top 10-15 regardless of age. I think Fury has the strongest claim to the throne at the moment, hard to argue that although AJ has more depth IMHO.

5. Surrix

Sep 16, 2020
    Ohh, the best thing if they had fought like in format aka olympic games wrestling or these major tennis tournaments.
    Yeah.

6. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    I predict there is a 50-50 chance this fight happens.

Usyk is not in fighting shape.

Joshua wants to fight this summer.

If Usyk asks for more time, the WBO may just name another mandatory.

7. Surrix

Sep 16, 2020
    Nothing much. Depends from fight.
    While If I should compare some Usyk's opponents from his " puny " CW tournament, I think Usyk looks a bit over the hill now.
    Briedis and Gassiev if in good shape most likely had relatively easily finished all these: Chisora from Usyk fight, Pulev 39 y.o version and Witherspoon.
    Ofc styles too are different for these fighters, Usyk then had milked his agility advantages and ammy superstar experience, he really was damn good amateur. Plus luck that this Briedis attempted to play vs him something like Lopez did vs Loma, and had a bit failed, fight still was far more close than these cards showed.

Bellew looks that is 2-0 at HW, still he didn't traveled vs Usyk till hometown cards. Okey, he really was legit, he had won vs current WBC champ in Makabu and vs Masternak at CW.
    Sadly we did not had saw Bellew in the ring vs Briedis, nothing much wrong, most likely he did not had generated enough money then for Bellew to climb in the ring despite he was his mandatory at CW. He vacated his belt.

Odins beard likes this.
  8. senpai

senpai Well-Known Member Full Member

May 18, 2021
    Usyk has amazing stamina, He is fighting in 12th round, like some fighers fight in second. I don't think AJ will KO him, and I don't think there is anobody(not even Fury) who could outbox him.

He is more heavy now and I believe his power has increased.

Odins beard likes this.
  9. Quina74

Quina74 Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 25, 2019
    If AJ fights Usyk I have a feeling AJ will gas and get tkod in rounds 9-12

gollumsluvslave and Odins beard like this.
  10. WhataRock

WhataRock Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 29, 2004
    The husky Ukranian gets beat up and loses a wide decision.

11. Surrix

Sep 16, 2020
    Usyk younger version from WBSS1 most likely yeah, had gassed out A.J version from fight vs 39 y.o Pulev and also 39 y.o Pulev.

Will see shape they will have.

12. Surrix

Sep 16, 2020
    We do know that he most likely should stop A.J in distance to get a win.
    A.J is cash cow.:p

13. Lesion of Doom

Lesion of Doom Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 21, 2015
    Usyk has not really impressed me at HW, although admittedly it's a potentially difficult style for Joshua. But ultimately I think Usyk is too old and slow to fight the way he needs to.

14. Slyk

Slyk Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Usyk's style and effectiveness is based on being quicker in hand and foot, more skilled, and as tall as his opponent. He will have all those advantages except height, but this will play a bigger factor than folks realize. Being shorter and being the boxer is not an easy task. There's a reason that even though Mayweather was so apparently skilled he was not a favorite against Corrales.

Joshua has fairly responsible boxing skills, decent speed, decent power. He does everything fairly well except move his feet. Usyk will have to take some risks to really hurt him. Though he was able to dominate a VERY slow Joyce years ago, he was still getting tagged. I think he'd actually prefer to be the matador as he was against Chisora than play the role he'll have to against Joshua.

Still, very interesting fight. I think Usyk can find a way to make it close though I doubt he can find a way to get a decision. Joshua can win by KO at any moment but is likely to have a lot of rounds where he looks ponderous. I chose Draw.

I think Usyk is past his prime and old injuries will have him a bit hobbled should this happen.

Quina74 and Surrix like this.
  15. Surrix

Sep 16, 2020
    Mayweather looks that had also other problems and a lot of boxers had problems like these:
    he had damaged hands and had moved up in weight classes, with this stoppages % had dropped but he still was able to get wins due high level and experience.
    Something close was with Lazlo Papp in ams and pro ranks. While Lazlo with good hands had been not rarerly beautiful even in amateur ranks with a lot of cool stoppages.
    Yeah, actually this is I think a bit reason why vs Chisora from Usyk fight Gassiev and Briedis had performed damn better than Usyk, they most likely had catched him with counters a lot.